This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Candy

mbr22m

mbr22m Rookie

I am in a haunted house for Halloween every year for the boy scouts. They hand out candy to all the kids. I would like to have some SAFE gluten-free candy to hand out to kids with celiac. Does anyone know of gluten-free candy that is certified gluten-free or at least safe to handout to celiacs? I'm getting overwhelmed looking up allergen statements from candy companies. .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I pass out old-fashioned Smarties. They are cheap, gluten free and the kids still like them. I buy bulk packages this time of year at Walmart. I really need cheap candy as we get 500 kids (we take a head count annually) here. Just a block away, they get 1,000 kids. Our neighborhood rocks at Halloween!

Oh, I buy Tootsie Roll candies too. Tested by us, it is made in Chicago. They do not melt. Good for hot climates. Kids like the Tootsie Pops.

These candies may not be certified, but they have been tested by hubby and me!

As always, double check with the manufacturer and read the ingredients label as products do change.

mbr22m Rookie

Thank you!!! I know endangered species is gluten free but, dang are they expensive and we get a lot of kids coming through. The only other one I was able to find that is certified gluten-free are m & m's.

kareng Grand Master

Here is a list - there are likely more gluten-free candies that are not on the list.

Open Original Shared Link

alabama girl Newbie

I think Snickers, Butterfingers, M&M Peanuts, plain Hershey bars are gluten free......BUT check me out on that!

StephanieL Enthusiast

You may get even more milage by going Top 8 free!  Smarties, Skittles, Pixie Stix, Giant Pixie Stix and gummys are pretty safe bets!

SMRI Collaborator

Tootsie Rolls are gluten-free--says so on the bag. I have some here :D.  Butterfingers are as well.  So are Salted Nut Rolls.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbr22m Rookie

Thank you everyone!! Looks like I'm going with smarties, tootsie rolls, butterfingers, skittles and m&m's

StephanieL Enthusiast

Ya know there are a lot of kids out there allergic to nuts too.  A lot of these are very nut heavy.  Even regular M&M's aren't safe for those kids.

africanqueen99 Contributor

A super cheap option is dum dums.  Gluten and nut free.

kareng Grand Master

A super cheap option is dum dums.  Gluten and nut free.

You could do the tissue ghost with them or the Tootsie pops

Serielda Enthusiast

If it is a small group of kiddo's I would recommend Justin's peanut butter cups. Those suckers are a serious fave of mine, and have been used to bribe me into picking up extra shifts or doing extra work around the office that I'd not normally do. Warning they are a bit pricey thus why the mention if its for a small group.

I am in a haunted house for Halloween every year for the boy scouts. They hand out candy to all the kids. I would like to have some SAFE gluten-free candy to hand out to kids with celiac. Does anyone know of gluten-free candy that is certified gluten-free or at least safe to handout to celiacs? I'm getting overwhelmed looking up allergen statements from candy companies. .

LauraTX Rising Star

Jelly Belly jelly beans are gluten-free.  I periodically pick up some cherry ones as a treat for myself.  Looks like they are free of other stuff, too : Open Original Shared Link

SMRI Collaborator

Jelly Belly jelly beans are gluten-free.  I periodically pick up some cherry ones as a treat for myself.  Looks like they are free of other stuff, too : Open Original Shared Link

I can't buy Jelly Belly's or I eat them all....I LOVE Jelly Belly's!!!!!

LauraTX Rising Star

I can't buy Jelly Belly's or I eat them all....I LOVE Jelly Belly's!!!!!

Amen to that!

mbr22m Rookie

If I buy jelly bellies or Justin's pb cups, I'm eating them myself! :-p

fran506 Newbie

I thought the old standby candy corn was safe... :-( I haven't bought any in years but sure wanted to.

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Just beware of the mini size Hershey Bars - those are NOT gluten free.  I think they use some sort of emulsifier in them.

I like Smarties, Jolly Ranchers, Skittles.  I didn't know Tootsie Pops were gluten-free - glad to hear it!

LauraTX Rising Star

I thought the old standby candy corn was safe... :-( I haven't bought any in years but sure wanted to.

There are a lot of candy corn brands that are NOT safe.  They seem to change things up from year to year, but last year I know the jelly belly ones were gluten-free and most common brands were not.

kareng Grand Master

I know that someone just tested Brach's Candy Corn and they were gluten-free.

nvsmom Community Regular

Just beware of the mini size Hershey Bars - those are NOT gluten free.  I think they use some sort of emulsifier in them.

I like Smarties, Jolly Ranchers, Skittles.  I didn't know Tootsie Pops were gluten-free - glad to hear it!

In Canada Smarties are an M&M like candy that does have wheat in it. Our equivalent to Smarties are called Rockets.

kareng Grand Master

In Canada Smarties are an M&M like candy that does have wheat in it. Our equivalent to Smarties are called Rockets.

Oh yeah...  that;s right

These are the US ones that are gluten-free

Open Original Shared Link

Canada - NOT gluten-free   Open Original Shared Link

nvsmom Community Regular

Thanks.  :)  Here's Rockets (Canada): Open Original Shared Link

Archived