Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Serielda

Surgery And Dietary Changes

Rate this topic

Ok last Saturday, well Sunday morning I was in the hospital and apparently my gallbladder wound up being inflamed and had to be removed. More bad news, the Drs I spoke with are urging me to take a paleo like twist to my diet. This makes me horrendously sad as I feel it challenges some of my relious believes of harm none. I generally keep my religious practices and believes out of public forums but I know these Drs know what they are saying. The Drs and hospital staff where I was , for once was celiac savvy. Note two, from blood testing I was given props for being good and food logging. So any tips on how to deal with soldiering on and dealing with the request I'm being asked. The Drs again gave me samples of new diet with gluten-free mods. I know this opens slot of closed doors making my life h@des. Plus I was happy when these Drs put on my prescriptions warnings to make sure to not cross contaminate me. So despite finding medical folks who took me serious and trying to help me why do I lament the request to stop being vegan? Even best bud from college who had not been supportive has mentioned doing meatless Monday's so I'm not going completely against my beliefs.

Hi Serielda...I'm sorry that you had to have your gallbladder out...that seems to happen a lot around here.  How are you feeling now?  I had mine out in February 2 weeks after my celiac diagnosis.  I'm impressed that your Dr even talked to you about nutrition.  Mine did not do that and basically said that I could eat anything and everything should be just fine.  I don't know though.  I definitely have issues if I eat a high fat meal...so I don't do that anymore.  I'm eating fairly close to Paleo, although I still have rice occasionally.  It's a pretty healthy way to eat, but I was already eating meat.

I hope that you are able to figure out something that feels good to you emotionally, physically and spiritually.

Yea, no doubt, a few local health and hospital places here are beyond craptastic, however we tried one in the city we haven't tried due to fear of costs , but due to how bad I felt, I couldn't argue hubby down, and surprise they knew a lot shockingly.

As for diet changes I know I will find a happy medium, it's just sad for me to have to eat meat, I've never liked it.

Hi Serielda...I'm sorry that you had to have your gallbladder out...that seems to happen a lot around here.  How are you feeling now?  I had mine out in February 2 weeks after my celiac diagnosis.  I'm impressed that your Dr even talked to you about nutrition.  Mine did not do that and basically said that I could eat anything and everything should be just fine.  I don't know though.  I definitely have issues if I eat a high fat meal...so I don't do that anymore.  I'm eating fairly close to Paleo, although I still have rice occasionally.  It's a pretty healthy way to eat, but I was already eating meat.

I hope that you are able to figure out something that feels good to you emotionally, physically and spiritually.[

Is it possible for you to do a compromise, like maybe a high protein, lower carb lacto ovo vegetarian diet with lots of nuts, eggs, quinoa, etc. instead of going directly to eating meat?

I don't blame you for not wanting to eat meat. I would have a hard time starting to eat it also.

An option I thought of, is  certain days of the week I will eat strictly vegan and the rest I do what I am told. But before I go springboarding into that I am gonna  follow up with a nutritionist I was given.  After all I am only a computer tech/programmer and that is not food or nutrition. Something I learned back in school that struck me funny was a Dr. friend of mine stated Hey I do not tell you how to  code a web pg or repair computers stop underminding me when I took most of my life to help heal others.

Is it possible for you to do a compromise, like maybe a high protein, lower carb lacto ovo vegetarian diet with lots of nuts, eggs, quinoa, etc. instead of going directly to eating meat?

I don't blame you for not wanting to eat meat. I would have a hard time starting to eat it also.