SMRI

These Ingredients Look Ok To You?

Rate this topic

Cream, Nonfat Milk, Peanut Butter Ribbon (Peanuts, Cottonseed and/or Peanut Oil, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt), Sugar, Corn Syrup, Chocolate Liquor and Cocoa processed with alkali, Whey Powder, Emulsifier/Stabilizer Blend (Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80).

Along with these ingredients, would you get ice cream at an ice cream shop?

The ingredients look OK to me from a gluten standpoint. I wouldn't eat it myself because first of all, I can't have corn syrup, and second of all, I don't like the idea of eating Emulsifier/Stabilizer Blend (Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80).

But that's just me. I've become a bit of a food snob and try to stick to whole foods as much as I can.

But I wouldn't eat from an ice cream shop unless they opened a new tub for me. I worked in ice cream shops in my past. Bits of cone drop into the tubs. Scoops that may have bits of cone or leftovers from gluten ice creams like cookies and cream get put back in the water-filled dispenser. Most shops have a tiny faucet running into that dispenser with a tiny drain in the bottom to keep the water changing. But at the end of the night the sludge at the bottom of the dispenser shows that everything the scoop touches, the scoop soaks in.

The ingredients look OK to me from a gluten standpoint. I wouldn't eat it myself because first of all, I can't have corn syrup, and second of all, I don't like the idea of eating Emulsifier/Stabilizer Blend (Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80).

But that's just me. I've become a bit of a food snob and try to stick to whole foods as much as I can.

But I wouldn't eat from an ice cream shop unless they opened a new tub for me. I worked in ice cream shops in my past. Bits of cone drop into the tubs. Scoops that may have bits of cone or leftovers from gluten ice creams like cookies and cream get put back in the water-filled dispenser. Most shops have a tiny faucet running into that dispenser with a tiny drain in the bottom to keep the water changing. But at the end of the night the sludge at the bottom of the dispenser shows that everything the scoop touches, the scoop soaks in.

What she said - except I might eat it from a carton in my fridge!

Ok--there is a Baskin Robbins near where I am working and I haven't been to one in YEARS because they all closed back home.  I was thinking about making a detour on the way home but wasn't thinking about the cone residue.....

CC at ice cream shops can be an issue, but as said above, if you are lucky enough to be able to talk them into washing a scooper for you and getting it from a new container, you will be better off.  Some ice cream places have soft serve and I usually get that at a local place I go to that is usually so busy there is no point in asking for special treatment.  Good luck!

I do know carageenan is type of seaweed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan (note I hate using wikipedia as a ref, but it is a starting point) I know from friends of mine who work out  alot that Whey is a protein that some people do have issues with and that it can be used as a substitution for gluten as a binder. As a friend of mine who has had cullinary training and does know his stuff( he abstains from gluten due to Aspergers)

cellulose gum is used often for its thicking capablities again hates wikipedia due to possible inaccuracies but...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboxymethyl_cellulose

The rest i am not sure about but these are.Some I have had to check out in the past as I tend to look crap up or call my cullinary friend when I don't know what the heck something is when I see it listed on products I consume.