gilligan

Thanksgiving Dressing/stuffing

Rate this topic

Last year my mom and I each tried a different gluten free dressing recipe, and both of them were horrible.  Does anyone have a really good stuffing recipe they will share?  I've thought about trying a cornbread based recipe.  Have a good one for that?  I'm starting early to practice before Thanksgiving.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I would love a recipe as well. This is my first Thanksgiving since diagnosis. Love a good stuffing!

I just buy Rudi's. There are a lot of recipes online for doctoring it up. Every one I've tried has been good, it's also good just the way it is. My favorite recipe is on this page, the one called gluten-free Laura's blah blah something a little more than halfway down. (It's the one with apple.) http://www.rudisbakery.com/gluten-free/blog/category/gluten-free-savory-herb-stuffing-recipes/

I make the exact same gluten-free recipe as my mom's normal stuffing - I just use gluten-free bread cubes (cut up a day or two ahead and left to go a bit stale) instead of regular bread.  A package of sausage, celery, apples, poultry seasoning, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper, and chicken soup lightly poured on to moisten it.

I tried cornbread once. It was okay but everyone wanted the traditional dressing.  Oh well, the cornbread fell apart on me anyways.  LOL

Here's a link.  It has some recipes.  Some of these people, Like IrishHeart, aren't around much anymore but their recipes will be here forever.   :wub:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/105230-1st-holiday-season-after-dx-how-did-you-feeldocope/page-2

Ads by Google:

Here's a link.  It has some recipes.  Some of these people, Like IrishHeart, aren't around much anymore but their recipes will be here forever.   :wub:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/105230-1st-holiday-season-after-dx-how-did-you-feeldocope/page-2

Thanks so much for sharing that link. I love Irish's plan and may just copy it.

Last year my mom and I each tried a different gluten free dressing recipe, and both of them were horrible.  Does anyone have a really good stuffing recipe they will share?  I've thought about trying a cornbread based recipe.  Have a good one for that?  I'm starting early to practice before Thanksgiving.

I also use Rudi's Savory Herb Stuffing mix. I was disappointed that my 2 local natural health food stores did not carry it, and when I asked about it at another store 20 miles away from my home town they had just received it and did not have it on the shelves yet. The owner located the product in the stockroom and I purchased it. It was so good I went back and purchased 3 packages of it. It makes a large amount.

I have also used "from scratch" recipes such as nvsmom , before Rudi's Stuffing mix came out on the market. The results were excellent using gluten free bread cubes and using a basic recipe and adding a tad more poultry seasoning than called for, and adding a bit more chicken stock because I live at a high altitude. My gluten eating husband was more than impressed. Stuffing is one of my favorite side dishes.

I also use Rudi's Savory Herb Stuffing mix. I was disappointed that my 2 local natural health food stores did not carry it, and when I asked about it at another store 20 miles away from my home town they had just received it and did not have it on the shelves yet. The owner located the product in the stockroom and I purchased it. It was so good I went back and purchased 3 packages of it. It makes a large amount.

I have also used "from scratch" recipes such as nvsmom , before Rudi's Stuffing mix came out on the market. The results were excellent using gluten free bread cubes and using a basic recipe and adding a tad more poultry seasoning than called for, and adding a bit more chicken stock because I live at a high altitude. My gluten eating husband was more than impressed. Stuffing is one of my favorite side dishes.

If you have to drive that far for it, call after the holidays. I stopped in after Christmas last year at my local health food store. They had it marked down to (I think) $3 a bag. I bought something like 6 of them. Stuffing year round, wooo!

The only from scratch recipe I've done is a cornbread stuffing from the holiday issue of Living Without from 2 years ago. It was really good and I liked it. It just means making cornbread, then making stuffing. On top of the holiday prep I'm far too lazy for that which is why I've gone the Rudi's route since it's so good. If I ever can't find it though, I'll definitely go back to the cornbread recipe without even thinking of trying anything else.

This will be my first gluten free Thanksgiving as was just diagnosed about 5 months ago. What I have been doing is saving, in the freezer,  the ends of my gluten free bread. Last week I took out the pieces and put them in the food processor and made my bread crumbs. I thought I would just follow my regular recipe minus the regular "bread"..and yes, I plan on adding corn bread to it as well. 

Ads by Google:

One problem with gluten free stuffing (and many other foods) is expecting them to be just like what you remember. It usually won't be. Look at it as trying something new, not copying something old. My dressing recipe (that's what we call stuffing) is made of cornbread, as was my grandmother's. No problem. One of the advantages of living in the deep South is that many foods use corn meal rather than flour. I have been told that that is because after the "war of Northern aggression" wheat was not available, so people used corn.

I post every year... "if this is my 13th year of being gluten-free... this will be my 13th new stuffing/dressing recipe!"

I grew up with Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix. I used to make like a quadruple recipe and bake whatever didn't fit into the turkey in loaf pans so we could slice off a hunk and eat it with turkey and gravy.

Now... my 3 daughters and I are gluten free. I've tried traditional recipes w/ bread and quite a few corn bread recipes. NONE have been remotely passable after good old Pepperidge Farm. Thanksgiving has become my least favorite "food" holiday.

THIS year I'll use the Gluten Free on a Shoestring recipe my daughter made for us recently. It was really good. Now... if I can only find something resembling French bread in North Nowhere Arkansas... I may ask my daughter to send me some baguettes from Philadelphia... they'll be stale and perfect when they arrive... right???

... I may ask my daughter to send me some baguettes from Philadelphia... they'll be stale and perfect when they arrive... right???

That may be the perfect situation for that! :)  I am going to have to check out the GFOAS recipe.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   19 Members, 1 Anonymous, 498 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/18/2018 - Despite many studies on immune development in children, there still isn’t much good data on how a mother’s diet during pregnancy and infancy influences a child’s immune development.  A team of researchers recently set out to assess whether changes in maternal or infant diet might influence the risk of allergies or autoimmune disease.
    The team included Vanessa Garcia-Larsen, Despo Ierodiakonou, Katharine Jarrold, Sergio Cunha,  Jennifer Chivinge, Zoe Robinson, Natalie Geoghegan, Alisha Ruparelia, Pooja Devani, Marialena Trivella, Jo Leonardi-Bee, and Robert J. Boyle.
    They are variously associated with the Department of Undiagnosed Celiac Disease More Common in Women and Girls International Health, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America; the Respiratory Epidemiology, Occupational Medicine and Public Health, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom; the Section of Paediatrics, Department of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom; the Centre for Statistics in Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom; the Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom; the Centre of Evidence Based Dermatology, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom; and Stanford University in the USA.
    Team members searched MEDLINE, Excerpta Medica dataBASE (EMBASE), Web of Science, Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL), and Literatura Latino Americana em Ciências da Saúde (LILACS) for observational studies conducted between January 1946 and July 2013, and interventional studies conducted through December 2017, that evaluated the relationship between diet during pregnancy, lactation, or the first year of life, and future risk of allergic or autoimmune disease. 
    They then selected studies, extracted data, and assessed bias risk. They evaluated data using the Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE). They found 260 original studies, covering 964,143 participants, of milk feeding, including 1 intervention trial of breastfeeding promotion, and 173 original studies, covering 542,672 participants, of other maternal or infant dietary exposures, including 80 trials of 26 maternal, 32 infant, or 22 combined interventions. 
    They found a high bias risk in nearly half of the more than 250 milk feeding studies and in about one-quarter of studies of other dietary exposures. Evidence from 19 intervention trials suggests that oral supplementation with probiotics during late pregnancy and lactation may reduce risk of eczema. 44 cases per 1,000; 95% CI 20–64), and 6 trials, suggest that fish oil supplementation during pregnancy and lactation may reduce risk of allergic sensitization to egg. GRADE certainty of these findings was moderate. 
    The team found less evidence, and low GRADE certainty, for claims that breastfeeding reduces eczema risk during infancy, that longer exclusive breastfeeding is associated with reduced type 1 diabetes mellitus, and that probiotics reduce risk of infants developing allergies to cow’s milk. 
    They found no evidence that dietary exposure to other factors, including prebiotic supplements, maternal allergenic food avoidance, and vitamin, mineral, fruit, and vegetable intake, influence risk of allergic or autoimmune disease. 
    Overall, the team’s findings support a connection between the mother’s diet and risk of immune-mediated diseases in the child. Maternal probiotic and fish oil supplementation may reduce risk of eczema and allergic sensitization to food, respectively.
    Stay tuned for more on diet during pregnancy and its role in celiac disease.
    Source:
    PLoS Med. 2018 Feb; 15(2): e1002507. doi:  10.1371/journal.pmed.1002507

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/17/2018 - What can fat soluble vitamin levels in newly diagnosed children tell us about celiac disease? A team of researchers recently assessed fat soluble vitamin levels in children diagnosed with newly celiac disease to determine whether vitamin levels needed to be assessed routinely in these patients during diagnosis.
    The researchers evaluated the symptoms of celiac patients in a newly diagnosed pediatric group and evaluated their fat soluble vitamin levels and intestinal biopsies, and then compared their vitamin levels with those of a healthy control group.
    The research team included Yavuz Tokgöz, Semiha Terlemez and Aslıhan Karul. They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, the Department of Pediatrics, and the Department of Biochemistry at Adnan Menderes University Medical Faculty in Aydın, Turkey.
    The team evaluated 27 female, 25 male celiac patients, and an evenly divided group of 50 healthy control subjects. Patients averaged 9 years, and weighed 16.2 kg. The most common symptom in celiac patients was growth retardation, which was seen in 61.5%, with  abdominal pain next at 51.9%, and diarrhea, seen in 11.5%. Histological examination showed nearly half of the patients at grade Marsh 3B. 
    Vitamin A and vitamin D levels for celiac patients were significantly lower than the control group. Vitamin A and vitamin D deficiencies were significantly more common compared to healthy subjects. Nearly all of the celiac patients showed vitamin D insufficiency, while nearly 62% showed vitamin D deficiency. Nearly 33% of celiac patients showed vitamin A deficiency. 
    The team saw no deficiencies in vitamin E or vitamin K1 among celiac patients. In the healthy control group, vitamin D deficiency was seen in 2 (4%) patients, vitamin D insufficiency was determined in 9 (18%) patients. The team found normal levels of all other vitamins in the healthy group.
    Children with newly diagnosed celiac disease showed significantly reduced levels of vitamin D and A. The team recommends screening of vitamin A and D levels during diagnosis of these patients.
    Source:
    BMC Pediatrics

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/16/2018 - Did weak public oversight leave Arizonans ripe for Theranos’ faulty blood tests scam? Scandal-plagued blood-testing company Theranos deceived Arizona officials and patients by selling unproven, unreliable products that produced faulty medical results, according to a new book by Wall Street Journal reporter, whose in-depth, comprehensive investigation of the company uncovered deceit, abuse, and potential fraud.
    Moreover, Arizona government officials facilitated the deception by providing weak regulatory oversight that essentially left patients as guinea pigs, said the book’s author, investigative reporter John Carreyrou. 
    In the newly released "Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup," Carreyrou documents how Theranos and its upstart founder, Elizabeth Holmes, used overblown marketing claims and questionable sales tactics to push faulty products that resulted in consistently faulty blood tests results. Flawed results included tests for celiac disease and numerous other serious, and potentially life-threatening, conditions.
    According to Carreyrou, Theranos’ lies and deceit made Arizonans into guinea pigs in what amounted to a "big, unauthorized medical experiment.” Even though founder Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos duped numerous people, including seemingly savvy investors, Carreyrou points out that there were public facts available to elected officials back then, like a complete lack of clinical data on the company's testing and no approvals from the Food and Drug Administration for any of its tests.
    SEC recently charged the now disgraced Holmes with what it called a 'years-long fraud.’ The company’s value has plummeted, and it is now nearly worthless, and facing dozens, and possibly hundreds of lawsuits from angry investors. Meantime, Theranos will pay Arizona consumers $4.65 million under a consumer-fraud settlement Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich negotiated with the embattled blood-testing company.
    Both investors and Arizona officials, “could have picked up on those things or asked more questions or kicked the tires more," Carreyrou said. Unlike other states, such as New York, Arizona lacks robust laboratory oversight that would likely have prevented Theranos from operating in those places, he added.
    Stay tuned for more new on how the Theranos fraud story plays out.
    Read more at azcentral.com.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/14/2018 - If you’re looking for a simple, nutritious and exciting alternative to standard spaghetti and tomato sauce, look no further than this delicious version that blends ripe plum tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil, and firm sliced ricotta to deliver a tasty, memorable dish.
    Ingredients:
    12 ounces gluten-free spaghetti 5 or 6 ripe plum tomatoes ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil 2 cloves garlic, crushed ¾ teaspoons crushed red pepper ¼ cup chopped fresh basil 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Kosher salt and black pepper ⅓ cup pecorino Romano cheese, grated ½ cup firm ricotta, shaved with peeler Directions:
    Finely chop all but one of the tomatoes; transfer to large bowl with olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt.
    Cook spaghetti until al dente or desired firmness, and drain, reserving ¼ cup cooking water. 
    Meanwhile, chop remaining tomato, and place in food processor along with garlic, red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt; puree until smooth. 
    Gently stir mixture into the bowl of chopped tomatoes.
    Add cooked spaghetti, basil and parsley to a large bowl.
    Toss in tomato mixture, adding some reserved pasta water, if needed. 
    Spoon pasta into bowls and top with Romano cheese, as desired.

Jean Duane
    Celiac.com 07/13/2018 - I went to a friend’s home for dinner.  A few days before, she called and asked me what I could eat.  I asked her what she was planning to make, and she said she was grilling meats with side dishes.  I said, “Great.  Please just grill a piece of chicken for me with salt and pepper, and I’ll be happy to bring a side.” She said, “No need to bring a side.  I’ve got this.” When I arrived, she greeted me and said, “I spent all day cooking tonight’s dinner so you can eat it. Hey would you just check this salad dressing to see if it is OK for you?” I looked at the ingredients and it contained gluten and dairy, both of which I cannot eat.  Then I glanced around the kitchen and saw evidence of wheat cross-contamination, including buns being toasted on the grill, and gluten-containing barbeque sauce spilling on the grill where my “clean” chicken was cooking. She had other guests to tend to, and I couldn’t offer instruction or read the ingredients of everything she used in the meal. 
    At social gatherings, I’ve been challenged too by those who ask if I am really “allergic,” or just eating gluten free as a “fad.” I’ve been told many times by hosts and hostesses that, “a little won’t hurt you,” or “everything in moderation,” or “if it is made with loving hands, it is good for you to eat.”  Of course, all of this is bunk for those with food allergies or celiac disease.  A little bit may kill us, and whether made with loving hands or not, it will certainly make us sick. 
    Those of us with food allergies and/or celiac disease walk a tightrope with friends and relatives. The old rules of etiquette just don’t work anymore.  We don’t want to insult anybody, we don’t want to be isolated, and we also don’t want to risk our health by eating foods that may contain ingredients we cannot tolerate.  So what do we do? 
    Etiquette books advise us to eat what is put in front of us when we are guests in someone’s home. They caution us at all costs not to insult our hostess. Rather, we are instructed to compliment the hostess on her good cooking, flavor combinations, and food choices.  But when foods are prepared in a cross-contaminated environment with ingredients we are allergic to, we cannot follow the old social constructs that do not serve us.  We need to work together to rewrite the rules, so that we can be included in social gatherings without fear of cross-contamination, and without offending anyone.
    Let’s figure out how to surmount these social situations together.  
    Each edition of this column will present a scenario, and together, we’ll determine appropriate, polite, and most importantly, safe ways to navigate this tricky gluten-free/food allergies lifestyle in a graceful way.  If someone disagrees with our new behavior patterns, we can refer them to this column and say, “Here are the new rules for those of us with food allergies or celiac disease.”  When we are guests in someone’s home, we can give them links to this column so they understand the plight we are faced with, bite after bite. Perhaps this will help those of us living with us to understand, be more compassionate, and accepting of our adaptations to keep ourselves safe. 
    This column will present a scenario such as the one above, and ask that you comment on how you would navigate it. Let’s talk about it. Let’s share ideas.  Using the example above, here’s the scenario for this issue:
    What would you do?
    Your kind-hearted friend invites you to dinner and insists on cooking for you.  You arrive and the first thing she says is, “I’ve spent all day making this for you. Oh, I bought this salad dressing for you, but you might want to read the ingredients first.”  You do, and it contains malt vinegar.  You look around the kitchen and notice evidence of cross-contamination in the rest of the meal.  What do you do? 
    Please comment below and feel free to share the tricky scenarios that you’ve encountered too.  Let’s discuss how to surmount these social situations.  What would you do?