bartfull

Interesting Article!

Rate this topic

I wasn't sure where to put this here or in the section about weight issues. But since this article is about more than just weight, I figured here was better.

There is an article in today's BBC news talking about carbs and sugar spikes. They did experiments with cooling and then reheating carbs (spaghetti, but it also works with white rice), and they found that the sugar spikes and thus the insulin release was cut by 50 %!

This kind of explains why when I eat my rice right after cooking it doesn't "stick to my ribs", but when I bring it to work and stick it in the fridge for later, I can eat a decent lunch and skip supper altogether because I'm just not hungry later.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761

Wow! I am going to test this out. The only bad thing is that most gluten-free pastas seem to harden when they are chilled. But I am willing to try rice! It is always good reheated. I will test with my meter. Right now, there is no way I can eat rice without a blood glucose spike!

Let us know! Thanks.

If it helps with reheating in the microwave, I put just a teaspoon of water in with it and put a lid over it. If you're 100% anti plastic, you can put a small glass plate partway over it. Just so it isn't reheating dry. I noticed too that it gets icky if you reheat dry but just a hint of water helps a lot. I tried this because I always used to reheat my mac & cheese with a teaspoon of milk to keep it tasting fresh and it always worked.

Yeah! Another excuse for making leftovers!  :D

I've had reasonable luck with putting gluten-free pasta in a ziplock bag with a little bit of water and keeping it in the fridge for a couple days.  I've always done this with regular pasta (spaghetti anyway) for leftovers.  To reheat I put sauce on the top and microwave.  THere was one pasta that it didn't work so well with--I can't remember which though.  I think that was more of an issue with not cooking the pasta right to start--first one I tried I think.

In restaurants of course they can't cook your pasta from scratch when you order it. It would take too long. So they cook up a bunch, cool it, then when someone orders some they just drop a portion in water that was boiled but is now just really hot, stir it around for acouple of seconds, then take it out and drain it.

This is not true. Just tested plain white rice reheated from last night's dinner (for my kid). My meter hit 180 one hour later! My pre-meal test was 97 (had eaten a snack an hour prior that was low carb). Will test in another hour! I hope it comes down fast! The theory does not work on diabetics!

Dang, I should have gone for a cupcake. Rice is not all that it is cracked up to be (just saying.....)

I'm so sorry my posting the article led to this! I hope you're OK!

Nah! I am fine. One spike will not kill me. Seriously, it is the spikes that are over 140 that lead to diabetic complications (like getting your foot chopped off or kidney failure). I test foods all the time. The best thing is for me to consume more fat, moderate protein and very little carbs -- less than 50 per day).

I was hoping the article was true at least for me!