This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sam's Club Shopping

BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I have recently gotten into more Sam's shopping and boy, do they have some great products now!

Certified gluten free coconut flour and coconut sugar, dates, quinoa, white basmati rice, big jugs of olive oil, pure maple syrup, etc. I also bought a big bag of Boulder olive oil potato chips for a treat from there. They were also certified G.F.!

Do you shop at Sam's? If so, what do you get from there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I don't shop at Sam's, but I was pleased to find that one of the small grocery stores in my tiny town now has a great gluten-free section! Several different brownie and cake mixes, lot's of different flours, a bunch of salad dressings and dips, cookies, crackers, chips, etc. I'm going to take pen and paper with me next time and get the names so I can ask you all for recommendations.

So, tell me - aren't those Boulder Canyon olive oil chips the best chips you've ever tasted? I used to get Kettle Brand, but these are so much better and not as greasy.

LauraTX Rising Star

I get a lot of household stuff and dry goods at sams.  When cooking for two, it isn't always the best place to stock up on food.  But I do like their natural chicken that is packaged vacuum packed two breasts to a pack, ready to freeze easily. Their OTC drugs and vitamins are usually labeled well, so I get some of those, too.  Every once in a while they will get a limited time product in that is gluten free, this past summer it was the freshetta pizzas,  I still write them once a month begging for them to get them back, lol.  I also like to buy underwear there, LOL.  Skip the other clothes, usually, since you can't try them on.

mamaw Community Regular

freshcetta,  Sabatasso's, &  Schwan's  gluten-free  pizza  are one in the  same.....this  info comes  directly from  Freschetta......Sabatasso  is  sold  at  Costco......

I just  found  a  gluten-free  ready   made/cooked  meatloaf  at  Sam's  plus   they  have  gluten-free  meatballs  in their  freezer  section....

I belong to both  sam's  & Costco  , we  find  we  find  much more at  Costco...

BlessedMommy Rising Star

We tried having a Costco membership for awhile, but it didn't work out for us distance wise. The Costco we went to is about 78 miles from our house and about 100 miles from the town where we pick up our produce box. We had to buy at least $150-200 worth at a time to make it worth the extra 2 1/2 hours of driving.

Costco is better and does have more than Sam's, but being that I have a free Sam's membership and it's right on my normal grocery route, I tend to pick up what I can there. I'm thankful that Sam's options have improved, they have much more than they used to.

There's a new Costco opening up though that isn't completely in the opposite direction of our grocery shopping, though, so I may revisit the idea of renewing my Costco membership....

SMRI Collaborator

freshcetta,  Sabatasso's, &  Schwan's  gluten-free  pizza  are one in the  same.....this  info comes  directly from  Freschetta......Sabatasso  is  sold  at  Costco......

I just  found  a  gluten-free  ready   made/cooked  meatloaf  at  Sam's  plus   they  have  gluten-free  meatballs  in their  freezer  section....

I belong to both  sam's  & Costco  , we  find  we  find  much more at  Costco...

Schwan's owns Freshcetta and Sabatasso so that would make sense.  They own Red Barron, Tony's and a few other pizza lines as well.

We shop at Sam's.  I had Costco for a while but it's just too far away.  I've had ok luck with Sam's but a lot of their frozen veges are NOT gluten-free so be extra careful--why do they do that???

LauraTX Rising Star

I, too, would rather go to costco but there is a sams right in my town, and the costco is a long drive along a toll road.  So, Sams it is for me, for now.  That is good info about the pizza... now I want pizza!  LOL

Which meatballs are gluten-free at sams?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Another couple of things I got there today was their big jug of fresh salsa and their package of single serve Sabra hummus cups. We're hitting the road to go to a wedding on Sunday, so I'll for sure pack a couple of hummus cups.

mamaw Community Regular

Laura,  the  meatballs  are  called  CASA, they  have  both the  wheat  ones  & the gluten-free ones... the  gluten-free  is stated  on the  front  of the  bag.... I  usually make my own  but  with  work  they  are  good in a  pinch....   I've  served  them  many times  &  gluten eaters  &  gluten-free  all liked  them.....makes  an  easy  appetizer  or  a  meal.....( frozen  section)......

We  all must  have   the  same  problem NO Costco  closest  enough! Our  Sam's  is  5  mile  , Costco  is  a  40  minute  drive...... for us  Costco is  better  more gluten-free  choices  &  at  times  I  think better  quality...just  our  opinion...

I found pupusas at Costco  labeled gluten-free, kids  loved  them....They  remind  me of  a apreas... Loaded   with  cheese  &  a few peppers.....

I  did find Milton's  sea salt  crackers gluten-free  & they  are  wonderful..   I  think a  cross  between a  cip  &  a  cracker.....

kareng Grand Master

We go to Costco.  I like to get my Crunchmaster crackers there.  When they were out, I used my friends card and got them at Sams.  

Both Sams and Costco have a lot of good gluten-free things - fruit, meat, hummus, salsa, cheese, salami, some have gluten-free pasta, PB, much cheaper almond butter, chips, usually sever types of crackers, yogurt, dairy, some gluten-free flours, nuts (I haven't checked for a cc on the label- so check me), etc.  Some stores have different things.  And the choices are always changing.

edgymama Apprentice

Ooh I will have to look at things more closely at Sams! I did see that ours has the huge jumbo boxes of gluten free krusteaz brownie mix though and some great whole food options like the maple syrup and chia seeds.

mbrookes Community Regular

I get Crunchmaster crackers at Sam's and love them. We do not have Costco, but they are in negotiations with our city about a site. I really hope we get one because of all the good reports I hear about it. I was very excited when Whole Foods opened here, but have been totally disappointed. My Kroger carries more gluten-free food that Whole Food and it's a lot cheaper. My Whole Foods employees  that I have talked to don't seem to "get it" when it comes to gluten-free.

• 3 weeks later...
BethJ Rookie

Don't forget the rotisserie chickens at Sam's. They used to contain gluten but now are gluten-free. I always pick one up when I go . . . most weigh well over 3 pounds (sometimes 4) and are under $5.00. You can't buy and cook one yourself for that.

I haven't seen the coconut flour but will look next time.

LauraTX Rising Star

I saw krusteaz gluten-free all purpose flour at Sams yesterday.  Claimed to be a 1:1 for wheat flour blend, but I love KAF gluten-free flour so much, I didn't want to mess around with another flour.

mamaw Community Regular

Laura,  do like  like the KAF  better  than cup 4 cup?  I just got a  deal on  cup 4 cup...but  I see  whole  foods  has  KAF  on  sale  this week....

LauraTX Rising Star

I haven't used Cup4Cup as extensively as the KAF one, but I like KAF because it has whole grains, great texture with no grittiness, and they have so many well tested recipes with it.  How much has whole foods marked down KAF?  It doesn't go on sale as much as some other brands.

mamaw Community Regular

I got  it  for  $14.00  but  reg.19.95   where  I'm  at.....I  have  only  found  a box  of KAF  not  a  3# bag  or  a large  amount... I  bake so much  a box  wouldn't  last  me long ....does KAF  come  in large  bags?

LauraTX Rising Star

I haven't checked... you could write them to ask.  If you sign up for their email list, you get coupons periodically, usually something like $20 off a $75 purchase, etc.

mamaw Community Regular

thanks, I will do that.....

Archived