This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Time To Lose

nvsmom

nvsmom Community Regular

I'm making myself a weight loss thread.  I need to keep myself accountable and doing it in public may help.  LOL ;)

When I first went gluten-free in June of 2012, I lost some weight.  I was mildly overweight but I carried it pretty well on my 5'8" frame. I think I was around 175-180lbs when I was diagnosed. In the first few months lost a good 15 lbs without even trying, and was a happy size 10-12.  I was eating junk too because I felt a bit deprived - my way of showing myself that I wasn't hard done by.

My weight went up and down by a few pounds over the next year but then I started on some mild steroids and my weight shifted up a tiny bit.  Then at almost 2 years gluten-free my steroid dose increased for a bit and then my doctor stopped one med cold turkey.  My weight went quickly right back up to close to 180. Yuck.

I am also guessing that this weight gain may partially due to my healing.  I think after 2 years gluten-free, my intestines are absorbing more food than before because I really have not increased my food intake that much... I think. LOL

I am weaning off the last steroid and wanting to lose a good 30 lbs.

This week I am getting rid of junk food that I would eat, taking measurements and making my plan.  I think Halloween will be a good day to cut sugar and gluten-free treats from my life. I will  make some changes!

I'll check back in here and record my progress periodically.  Any comments are always welcomed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
julissa Explorer

good luck! 

icelandgirl Proficient

Very cool...I look forward to your updates!

GF Lover Rising Star

Yay Nicole....A new adventure begins.  

Let me tell you something.  I'm 5'5" and during a two year period I went up to 190 lbs.  I kept telling my Doc that the med he started me on was making me gain weight.  This was before Celiac dx.  I was also taking steroids to try and control AI symptoms and so call fibro symptoms and that just added to the weight gain.  I was getting pretty miserable at that weight.  I found a new Doc and went off the one med and started a different one.  Around the same time the other Doc started talking about Celiac because steroids were of no help with anything.  When I went off the first med I started losing the weight, then off the steroids and more weight.  In eight months I went from 190 lbs. to 135 lbs and have been this since.  It is also what I weighed during my younger years.  So stopping two meds and Celiac diet shed all that weight and I'm much healthier :)  My weight does'nt fluctuate at all now.  

Good Luck Nic :D

Colleen

edgymama Apprentice

Right there with you! I am awaiting my lab results this week but have already decided I will cut out gluten and WILL watch what my choices are. I have 30 to 40 lbs to lose to get in my healthy range :/ 

Best luck to you! It can be so hard. 

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

I can't discuss my weight on here (mainly because I don't weigh myself, lol!) I go by my pant size and how my pants fit. I have very large breasts, and my weight has never been accurate.

Before the celiac disease really started to hit me (skin issues, fatigue, weight gain, more intense GI symptoms, etc) I was a happy size 8. I am 5'5", by the way. Then all of a sudden a bunch of things started exploding. I had terrible skin issues. I was exhausted all the time. And the weight was just piling on. I went up to either a size 14 or 16, I'm not sure...I stopped wearing jeans. I think I always wore sweat pants. I was embarrassed. I tried going to the gym, but despite going 5 nights a week, I wasn't losing anything. When I started dating my bf, (before celiac diagnosis)  he wanted to see me in jeans, so I worked up the nerve to go buy a pair. Size 14. Okay, whatever. I was diagnosed literally 2 days after that. (July 5 2013) By mid August of that year, I went down a pant size to a size 12. And then my weight loss completely plateaued, despite giving up more processed gluten free foods. This month I started the SCD diet, and now I can pull up and button my old size 10 jeans! They are still a little snug, but it counts! I couldn't even get them up over my thighs before! If I had the energy, I would combine this strict diet with going to the gym again. I want to get back down to a size 8 before 2015. That is my goal. :) My ultimate goal pant size would probably be a 6. I need to maintain a smaller size to keep my hernia in check. I developed a recurring hiatal hernia from all of the stress of that weight gain (and major bloating) in such a short period of time.

We can do this!

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL  Thanks ladies.  :) It's always helpful to hear of others in the same boat!

I'm not sure what weight I'm starting at.  My scale's battery died a couple of months ago and I keep "conveniently forgetting" to replace it.  ;)  I'll take some measurements tomorrow... It's Halloween and I need a good scare.  I'll weigh myself.... eventually.

I'm starting from a size 14-16.  Not good on 5'8".  I've been this heavy before but this time it is more fat; I have less muscle and more jiggle.  I don't know if that is because of the steroids or turning 40 or what, but my muscle tone has dropped off hugely this year.  Yuck. All this jiggle takes up more space than compact muscle. I want muscle back and to fit into size 10 again... That's my high school athletic size. Between 135 and 155 is a happy place for me.  145 would be just right most likely. It would be into size 12's still, but that size is fine for my larger than average frame.

I'm having my last junk food today - a Dr Pepper.  Pop is my vice and will be hard to give up.  I have a stash of teas to try and replace it.  That will take a few weeks to get used to.

Otherwise, today I ate 4 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, 3 slices of bacon (I made a big breakfast and ate it for lunch too) and a grilled cheese sandwich. Tomorrow will look similar to today just minus the pop and the bread - a sandwich is at least 50% of my total bread allotment for a typical week.  I was a lucky celiac, I didn't eat much bread to begin with. LOL

I'll update with how my crankiness progresses as my body tries to forget sugar... Oh beautiful sugar...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I'm about to give up sugar too. I've been off nightshades for weeks now and the arthritis pain is not getting any better. It came on rather suddenly so I think it's food related. I have about a week and a half's worth of ice cream in the freezer (it was on sale so I stocked up), but when it's gone I won't be buying any more.

And it sounds like we are both about the same size. I don't know my exact weight either but I would guess it's around 165? And I would like to get back down to 140 or 145. I too go more by the way my clothes fit. Right now I am wearing men's size 36Waist/32Inseam. I want to get back into my 32/32's. (I wear men's jeans and always have. They are better made and cost less. And I hate jeans that come up to my bellybutton. Men's jeans ride lower and are more comfortable to me.)

Anyway, keep reporting and I'll do the same. Maybe we can lose weight together.

nvsmom Community Regular

Sounds good to me!  I may do better with company.   :D

Or not... I ate some candy.   :P  Darn it. I think I had 10 of those candies in the last 24 hours. Ugh.  I do feel gross, and hubby has hidden it for me... somewhere, so hopefully I can get back on track.  LOL Man!  I didn't even make 24 hours!! LOL

Tomorrow I will begin sugar withdrawal.  Can't wait.   ;)

I hope your pains get better soon, Bartfull.  My arthritis tends to do that too - comes on strong for no visible reason and often goes along with feeling flu-like.  I don't know if mine is food related though because I don't vary my diet much.  I'm pretty dull.  Anyway, I hope less sugar does it for you!

nvsmom Community Regular

I've been good today... and I'm starting to get the headache.  LOL  Well, I wasn't perfect, I had maple syrup on some coconut pancakes this morning, but otherwise this was a good day.  Lunch was rushed and could have been better too.

I plan on eating 3 meals per day and possibly 2 to 3 snacks. That worked well for me a few years back and I'm curious to see if it still will now that I am gluten-free.

Meal 1 - bacon, coconut flour pancakes (eggs, coconut oil, protein powder, flax meal, chia meal, hemp, vanilla, coconut milk, baking powder) w/syrup, coffee w/coconut cream and stevia

m2 - coffee w/ coconut cream and stevia

m3 - pistachios

m4 - tea and a handful of pumpkin seeds

m5 - leftover pork roast, gravy, cooked carrots, snap peas

m6 - I haven't had a snack yet but I plan on tea and some nuts.

Snacking in the evening is the worst for me.  That's when I have junk.  It will take a few weeks to get out of the night time snack habit.

I plan on going lower carb over the next week or two to change my body's craving for sugar and carbs.

Zero exercise... I enjoyed my book though.  ;)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Giving up sugar isn't too bad. The first two weeks were the worst. After that, my taste buds sort of adjusted and lots of things seem too sweet to me now.

I do use some sweeteners now, but very, very sparingly. Changing my sugar intake literally changed my life. Before I made the change, I was sick most of the time with horrendous environmental allergies and got bronchitis a lot. I had two bouts of it back to back, before I finally decided that something had to change. After changing my diet, my sinus problems got so much better and I stopped being chronically sick from allergies. I also stopped catching colds and bronchitis so much.

Good luck to you! 

icelandgirl Proficient

Good job Nicole! Quitting sugar is hard...it does give you that headache. Ugh.

I'm curious about the coconut cream you use in your coffee. I went to Whole Foods looking for some for a recipe and they didn't have any. Can you share what you use? I'd like to get some for my coffee too. Thanks!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

My Height is 5'7" and while at the peak of my illness, my scale screamed  190 lbs!  I then lost 30 lbs after beginning an aggressive supplement program.  After going gluten free, my weight stabilized at 159 and stayed there a couple of years.  Recently, I cut all foods I knew I didn't tolerate.  Finally, I eliminated the last sweetener (honey) that I had been using.   It seemed to be the last thing I did, before I started losing weight like crazy.  I believe I have an allergy to honey, I am not giving a general weight loss clue necessarily.   I can't really say it caused my weight loss.    I am weighing myself every day two times lately.   The weight I begin the day at, is less than the day before, almost every day.  After about a week, my highest weight equals last week's lowest weight.   I currently weigh what I weighed when I got married 28 years back.  I think I should stop losing weight now, and so does my hubby. 

nvs mom, I liked that you referenced scaring yourself on Halloween!

I hope all interested in this thread will have success with their efforts and hope you still will enjoy the food that you eat and gain in health as you do! 

Dee

nvsmom Community Regular

Giving up sugar isn't too bad. The first two weeks were the worst. After that, my taste buds sort of adjusted and lots of things seem too sweet to me now.

I do use some sweeteners now, but very, very sparingly. Changing my sugar intake literally changed my life. Before I made the change, I was sick most of the time with horrendous environmental allergies and got bronchitis a lot. I had two bouts of it back to back, before I finally decided that something had to change. After changing my diet, my sinus problems got so much better and I stopped being chronically sick from allergies. I also stopped catching colds and bronchitis so much.

Good luck to you! 

Giving up sugar is tough for me.  I can give up other stuff but sugar.  Ugh.  I've cut back on sugar before but as soon as I have one muffin or cookie as a treat, it's all down hill from there.  

I may be able to say that giving up sugar isn't too bad in a few months after the cravings are gone.  LOL  ;)  And this darn headache! Yep, grumpiness is setting in.

Good job Nicole! Quitting sugar is hard...it does give you that headache. Ugh.

I'm curious about the coconut cream you use in your coffee. I went to Whole Foods looking for some for a recipe and they didn't have any. Can you share what you use? I'd like to get some for my coffee too. Thanks!

I just use canned coconut milk. I try to find it without anything added in.  If you refrigerate the can, the cream condenses together and the cocnut water is on the bottom.  I use the water in my boys' baking but I use the cream for me... It's like whipping cream in coffee. Mmmmmm

My Height is 5'7" and while at the peak of my illness, my scale screamed  190 lbs!  I then lost 30 lbs after beginning an aggressive supplement program.  After going gluten free, my weight stabilized at 159 and stayed there a couple of years.  Recently, I cut all foods I knew I didn't tolerate.  Finally, I eliminated the last sweetener (honey) that I had been using.   It seemed to be the last thing I did, before I started losing weight like crazy.  I believe I have an allergy to honey, I am not giving a general weight loss clue necessarily.   I can't really say it caused my weight loss.    I am weighing myself every day two times lately.   The weight I begin the day at, is less than the day before, almost every day.  After about a week, my highest weight equals last week's lowest weight.   I currently weigh what I weighed when I got married 28 years back.  I think I should stop losing weight now, and so does my hubby. 

nvs mom, I liked that you referenced scaring yourself on Halloween!

I hope all interested in this thread will have success with their efforts and hope you still will enjoy the food that you eat and gain in health as you do! 

Dee

I've done well in the past when I gave up sugar.  About 5 years ago I ate very clean and gave up all sugar and processed food - if I couldn't tell what it came from I wouldn't eat it.  After a couple of months I was exercising a fair bit too.  After 4 months I had lost 30 lbs.  I actually went below my wedding weight but after 3 kids and with a less intense exercise routine (no more marathons training), my body was a still a bit bigger than it was in my early 20's... Darn it.  ;)

And then I ate that muffin....  :rolleyes:

I still haven't measured myself.  I honestly keep forgetting about it.  I'll have to get that done soon.

Thanks for the support everybody.  :D

Today was not as good.  I skipped breakfast because of a busy schedule and by time I got around to eating I was hungry.

M1 - coffee w/ coco cream and stevia drops

M2  - frittata (about 1 1/2 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, salsa), chocolate muffin (similar recipe as the pancakes but had some sugar)

M3  -  slice cheddar, pumpkin seeds, coffee w/ coco cream

For the rest of the day I planned:

M4  -  spaghetti squash, tomato sauce with elk 

M5  - Popcorn with butter  ... I know, I know. Popcorn is less than ideal but with this headache, I plan to splurge with this

I'm coaching basketball tonight.  Its not a lot of exercise but it will get me sweating.

bartfull Rising Star

I won't be starting until the ice cream is gone next week. Not looking forward to the headache, but it's better than the joint pain. The only thing is, I made (or am making - it takes a few days) sauerbratten. It has ginger snaps in it. But it won't be anywhere near the amount of sugar that is in the ice cream. And even though I made a huge batch, most of it will go into the freezer so I'll only eat it a couple of times a week.

nvsmom Community Regular

I won't be starting until the ice cream is gone next week. Not looking forward to the headache, but it's better than the joint pain. The only thing is, I made (or am making - it takes a few days) sauerbratten. It has ginger snaps in it. But it won't be anywhere near the amount of sugar that is in the ice cream. And even though I made a huge batch, most of it will go into the freezer so I'll only eat it a couple of times a week.

I haven't had saurbraten for a decade or two.  My grandmother would make it with raisens. I wasn't a huge meat eater as a child but I loved that roast.

Mmmmm, saurbraten....

I haven't tried making gluten-free spaztle yet.  I should look into that - its been too long.

• 2 weeks later...
SMRI Collaborator

I've lost about 15 lbs since my diagnosis this past summer.  My dr said a pound a week should be my goal. Any more than that and it's not sustainable loss.  It's hard to go so slowly but it's working.  They put me on a 1200/day calorie diet (I'm short, 5' 3") and the first couple weeks were hard but now it's about all I can eat without feeling stuffed.  I haven't really cut anything out of my diet other than gluten.  I just eat in moderation.  I use the Sparkpeople website/app to track what I eat.  It's been very helpful, and eye opening at times :D.  They also said that eating 3 meals a day is better than eating 5 smaller meals for weight loss (Mayo endocrinologist specializing in weight control).  They do metabolism studies as well to determine how many calories you should be eating.  The Sparkpeople app was pretty close to what they said if I wanted to maintain my weight, but about 200 calories/day high for losing weight.  It's been a slow process but I've gone down 2 clothing sizes (well, 1.75 since the next size down is still a bit snug).

A couple good tips I've found is to use smaller plates.  When dishing up your plate, fill half of the plate with a vegetable first, then add your meat/protein and your starch/grain.  If I'm hungry, I eat a vegetable.  I keep zucchini on hand more now.  I will slice one in half, put a little olive oil on it to keep it from drying out, seasoning and bake in the oven.  One zucchini fills me up for a LONG time.  I love zucchini though.  Also, if you think you are hungry but do not know what you want to eat, you are probably really thirsty so drink a glass of water and wait 20 minutes before eating anything.

nvsmom Community Regular

Congrats SMRI.  You've done well.  :)

I actually lost about 15-20lbs when I went gluten-free without doing anything.  That was lovely.... It didn't last on me though.  Darn it. ;)

I'm looking into the "Virgin Diet".  She encourages people to get rid of the major food sensitivities and that includes sugar.  So, I though I'd go all out for 21 days and see how I feel.  After that I'll reintroduce some of those foods back, although I think I'll plan to keep sugar out - I just can't handle it well.

Anyway, I'll be cutting dairy, gluten ( ;) ), soy, corn, eggs, peanuts, sugar and sweeteners out of my diet.  I am very dairy light so that one will be easy. I eat almost no soy except in the occasional prepackaged food, and the same goes (somewhat) for corn, so that shouldn't be too tough.  I prefer tree nuts to peanuts so that is easy too.  Oh no, but how will I give up gluten?! Yep.  The tough ones for me will be eggs, but I'm already switching to egg free breakfasts, and sugar... Sugar.  I've been cutting it slowly out but every evening I get the headache and I usually cave in and have a little something, even a Larabar evens me out.  Sigh.

Well tomorrow is the day I eat veggies, fats and meats. That's it. My fridge is stocked, and quick snacks and sugars are gone so there will be no temptation.

Oh. I stepped on a doctor's scale and it said 181.... I'll edit my response to that.  I knew it was about that but I can't try to fool myself anymore.  If I'm lucky I'll be down a good 10lbs by my birthday in late January. I'll be happier to be out of the 170's again and hopefully the first 10 lbs will slide off quickly since I have so much to lose... I need to lose a preschooler.   :rolleyes:  That's just sad, but doable by summer time! LOL

bartfull Rising Star

I stopped the ice cream about a week ago. That was the only sugar in my diet and I expected headaches too but so far nothing! I'm still eating white rice so maybe that carb thing is keeping the headaches away. It may be my imagination but I think my wrist feels a little better too. I haven't lost any weight but I didn't really expect to yet. It seems like it takes a few weeks and then a bunch comes off at once.

I just bought a bunch of new jeans a couple of months ago. If I do lose weight I'm going to have to go shopping again. :angry: I hate shopping! But if my wrist gets better it'll be worth it.

nvsmom Community Regular

Shopping is no fun. I'm in "fat clothes" right now, and I had to shop for more because I got rid of them a couple of years ago. I couldn't bring myself to spend money on fat clothes so I went to the thrift stores... it was almost fun shopping because I didn't need to spend much.  LOL

icelandgirl Proficient

You can do it Nicole! Excited to see how this plan goes for you. I'm thinking you will lose weight fairly quickly. Before I was diagnosed I needed to lose 15-20 pounds. I lost 15 pounds fairly quickly after going gluten free. Then in July when I was still having GI issues I cut out things that seemed to cause other people issues (dairy, soy, legumes...eggs for a bit, but I added them back without issues). Anyway, since then I've lost another 17 pounds. I'm not trying to lose anymore...and I finally leveled off once I realized that I wasn't getting enough calories. According to MyFitnessPal I need about 1800 a day to maintain and was only getting 1500. I've found that meat, veggies and fruits are so filling. I haven't completely given up sugar...that sounds too hard. I have some Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips around at all times. The funny thing is that I used to use MFP to try to lose weight. 1500 calories or less a day and I worked out. I think a lot of it was just inflammation. Crazy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

nvsmom Community Regular

I'm hoping some of this is inflammation too and it goes fairly quickly. The rest, well,  it will take some work.

Its just this starting out and getting into a groove thing.  Once I'm into it I'll be okay. Its that first few weeks which are tricky.  I think I'll get there though... I have too - I can't stand feeling my back jiggle when I run!  YUck!  LOL

Thanks for the support!  :)

julissa Explorer

this is a great thread. I lost some weight over the past few years, when I went gluten-free, df and soy free the rest of what I had been trying to lose came off. but now I am battling with bloat. I have mentioned it here a few times. I don't eat any gluten-free packaged foods, I make all my own food fresh and whole.  a few days ago I gave up the few grains I was eating, like quinoa. I am in a size 6 now, down from a really tight 14. I am happy with my weight and my size, but can't deal with the belly bloat which is recent. can't figure it out. I'm hoping giving up grains will do it. 

I think the thing that really baffles me is that I teach yoga and pilates

anyway, happy to join in here

icelandgirl Proficient

this is a great thread. I lost some weight over the past few years, when I went gluten-free, df and soy free the rest of what I had been trying to lose came off. but now I am battling with bloat. I have mentioned it here a few times. I don't eat any gluten-free packaged foods, I make all my own food fresh and whole.  a few days ago I gave up the few grains I was eating, like quinoa. I am in a size 6 now, down from a really tight 14. I am happy with my weight and my size, but can't deal with the belly bloat which is recent. can't figure it out. I'm hoping giving up grains will do it. 

I think the thing that really baffles me is that I teach yoga and pilates

anyway, happy to join in here

Hi Julissa...do you consume any almond or coconut milk? I ask because after I had given up pretty much everything. ..lol...I was still terribly bloated. One day I was reading an article about additives that cause bloating. The first one was carrageenan. It turns out that it was an ingredient in the almond and coconut milk that I was using to make my smoothie. Cutting that out helped a ton. Another additive was inulin...Also called chicory root fiber. It was in my probiotic! Getting both of those out of my life cut down my bloating 80-90%...seriously.

Hope this helps someone!

nvsmom Community Regular

Don't you wish a food reaction was immediate and obvious?  The guess work and detective work gets old fast.  LOL

I've come down with a cold or flu so that is helping disguise my withdrawal, plus the lack of appetite keeps me out of the food. There's a bright side to feeling crappy, I know there is.  LOL

No dairy, soy, sugar, peanuts, corn or eggs today. So far I've had mushrooms and bok choy; coffee with coconut cream; and a can of tuna.  I have no idea what I'll cobble together for dinner - something that requires very little effort, no doubt.

Archived