This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

5 Months Out The Good, Bad And The Ugly.

Serielda

Serielda Enthusiast

I'd like to think up until this point I've been a champ with things until my dr. Took me off my vegan diet, stating grains in general was causing issues. I inquired about quinoa and rice and he stated even those had to go. This has thrown a huge monkey wrench in my life, I feel. The dr. Was concerned regarding the other grains after I had a unwelcome surgery, and granted he wants to try and fix me, but I feel sad. Halloween is coming up and I wanted to go on Bourbon st and get a safe drink, but that's against my Drs orders plus with my bday the week after I am disapointed feeling like all the fun things have been sucked out of my life. Ok I get it, grains are all taken out to allow for healing to happen, but does things have to be this terrible feeling? Mind as in past posts I do not drink except Halloween my bday and New Years . So now I find out my treat I wanted has quinoa flour so that's a no go. Forcing me to make my own, I find this kind of a bummer, but in reality it's better than nothing, right? Granted there has been good things I can now take the stairs at work from bottom floor to the top floor I work on, 5 floors worth of stairs and I'm able to do more exercise than before, so I guess I should be happy, so why am I left feeling like an emo kid how did if anyone else had to go thru this much craziness, did it ever get to where you could add old faves back in like I love quinoa and chai lattes with almond milk. Which I found out 3rd st chai is gluten free. Now if they made it caffiene free I could maybe have it now. Also those who have been taken off caffiene how long did it take you to adjust without starting your day without it?

More good news out side of two accidental glutenings during months one and two there hasn't been further incident. But this everything from scratch when you have a extremely busy life does get a lil grinding, any tips on how to prep ahead for that? I know it's a good thing as I know 100% without a doubt nothing I used is cc'd.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

It can certainly be a long, rough road. I've given up dairy, soy, legumes, grains, coffee and alcohol. All in trying to heal. I'm so tired of meat, fruits and veggies. I don't know when I can get things back...If I can.

I just keep trying...what else can we do? Best wishes to you...I hope that you will continue to feel better and feel less frustrated...I'm struggling with that one.

Solandra Rookie

Quinoa is a seed, not an actual grain. I'm not sure what kind of doctor you have. Sounds like a Naturopath. If you're on a Paleo diet, which it sounds like, you can make stuff with coconut flour. I got a good cookbook called Against All Grain just for some different things to try, you might want to look into that. Or finding a different doctor, because rice? Really? For most people, that's generally not an allergenic grain. The Paleo people say not to.. but they throw out a lot of things I find weird to throw out with very little evidence that it's in any way harmful.

Serielda Enthusiast

Trust me Paleo was not my first choice, as I was very happy with how things was before the radical and sweeping changes as I call it. The Dr. who did my surgery and follow up states he wants me off of rice, due to possible cc concerns. I have a friend who is a GI in Ohio who when I asked her about it, she said her self she implores patients to drop quinoa and rice as well ~shrugs~ I know right. Her statement was post surgery to not follow Paleo to an exact T as people are not cookie cutters and with the type of surgery I had.

I am aware of coconut flour but it doesn't make things any better in my opinion, as I was happy as a vegan. I went that way mostly as I thought it was healthier and that alone, until I got some political agenda about it which stems my rants and freak outs at home. My hubby wants me to give things a solid chance. He says 45+ days is not a fair shake at something. I've had others say you can use handbags that are not leather along with shoes and belts that are not leather and use other non animal things to contribute to help.

The decision I have made was not an easy one and I wrestle with it daily, but I need to maybe half listen do Dr.'s. The last time I was a at a party, and a acquaintance of mine who was a med student and I got in a huge debate about me being vegan and supplementing properly and I went on a hiss fit about vitamin b12. Long story giant kettle of fish, that made for an awkward mardi gras party. Get burned once, with something you tend to pay more attn to med advice. The celiac diagnosis was nuff to make me listen, for the first time, I was sick of being sick. Trust me I have grown up a lot and learned to listen to a reasonable degree.

Quinoa is a seed, not an actual grain. I'm not sure what kind of doctor you have. Sounds like a Naturopath. If you're on a Paleo diet, which it sounds like, you can make stuff with coconut flour. I got a good cookbook called Against All Grain just for some different things to try, you might want to look into that. Or finding a different doctor, because rice? Really? For most people, that's generally not an allergenic grain. The Paleo people say not to.. but they throw out a lot of things I find weird to throw out with very little evidence that it's in any way harmful.

Solandra Rookie

Yeah, I was vegan for a while, and I have some vegan gluten free cookbooks, but it's definitely going to be more difficult if you can't have ANY grains, especially if you can't have things like tofu. You would basically just be eating vegetables and fruits. That might get boring!

Archived