This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Grilled Cheese "pizza"

Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

Since I am on a very strict diet right now, I couldn't eat the gluten free bread I kept in my boyfriend's freezer. It really wasn't that good to begin with, and I felt bad taking up room in his freezer with something I can't eat for an indefinite period of time. So, I decided to make him grilled cheese "pizza"

The bread I used was Schar brand yeast free bread. The sauce was Barilla's "Chunky Traditional", and I used Kraft shredded mozzarella. He said he could definitely see going gluten free if all of the food was like this! The bread cooked SUPER fast, so some of the pieces burned slightly, but he still said it was good.

When I can eat it, I want to use the big slices of Udi's bread (if the Costco near us has it available) it looked and smelled really good! The bread isn't very good if you eat it plain, lol.

I made 4...I didn't expect him to eat them all at once, but...he did. At least he liked them.  :P

10751754_10100536729741579_1523803565_n.

10748797_10100536740450119_1159769425_n.

10744899_10100536730340379_105214167_n.j

10751543_10100536740295429_1997021736_n.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Ooh! I never even thought about doing it that way! Last time I got pizza ingredients I put it over rice and just ate it with a spoon. I will definitely try this next time. Thanks!

Hey, that sounds pretty good too! But you're welcome! I'm glad I gave someone else a good idea :) I found the recipe and had to try it, although I didn't follow the recipe, I kind of just did my own thing. Here is the "official" recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

She used pepperoni with hers, and I can't tell what bread she used, but it could possibly be Udi's? I'm hoping I can find the large loaf of it! My BF said the sandwiches were good with the bread I used, but I know they'd be better with Udi's. 

bartfull Rising Star

Yeah, I got some Schar bread. I was going to return it when I found it had soy but then I decided to try it anyway and see if I was still intolerant to soy. The good news is, it didn't bother me at all! HOORAY!!!

And although the Schar is a bit softer than Udi's, Udi's DOES taste a LOT better. (And it costs a little less.) Canyon Bakehouse is still my favorite, but because it is a darker, multi-grain bread, I think Udi's would be better for these pizza sanwiches.

Anyway, keep hinging in there and I bet you'll be able to cross everything off of that list in your signature line eventually. It's been three and a half years for me and I can now eat some forms of corn (maybe even all forms - I just haven't tested them all yet), and soy. Those were the two biggies for me. I have finally healed enough that I MAY have no further intolerances. I'll keep testing one at a time and let you know.

Really? That's fantastic! I am iffy about soy. I know i can't tolerate it, and I officially came up with a slight allergy to it when I got my tests done back before I was diagnosed, so I avoid it strictly...but I have read that soy can also cause villous atrophy, like gluten. I never had a biopsy done, so I am not really sure if I will ever be able to add soy back in. I did improve on the gluten free diet, but I am REALLY seeing results now that I am on a strict dairy/grain free/soy free diet. Who knows? I think I would still try to avoid soy like the plague but maybe have it every so often on a cheat day. Some of my favorite gluten free foods contain soy - like Progresso lentil soup and Sabra hummus. Now I can't have ANY hummus, oh the humanity!! Lol. But that is great that you can eat it again! Corn too. 3.5 years, not bad! I've already got almost 1.5 under my belt. ;)

If you already have the Schar bread, definitely give this a try and let me know how it turns out! Maybe you can do a challenge and make it with both Udi's and Schar! :P Lol. I agree, I really do think Udi's would be better as well. I don't think I ever was able to try Canyon Bakehouse. Oh, and idk what sauce would be best to use...I was trying to use up my bf's sauce because he said he didn't like it. For some reason, he liked it cooked in this, but he didn't like it on his pasta. No idea! It smelled pretty good. 

Thanks :) I think I will be too. I switched to all natural products, and I'm on a very careful diet. The seb. dermatitis is definitely still there, but so much better. The rosacea kind of does its own thing. I definitely have certain foods that are triggers, but it never really seems to go away. The bloating has been much better since staying away from soy...and I did admittedly eat a LOT of rice, even before going gluten free rice was always a huge staple in my diet, so I think I needed to get that out of my diet for awhile. The candida seems to be dying slowly but surely...I eat apple cider vinegar daily (Bragg's brand - I blend it with olive oil to make my own dressing) and I also drink the Bragg's brand Apple Cider Vinegar and honey drink. It seems to be cleansing out the candida - and it tastes pretty good. Kind of like spicy apple juice.  I don't want to start any antifungals until I am 'regular' and that one has been a bit of a challenge. I keep telling my bf my life would be about 100x easier if I didn't have candida or a hernia. The hernia causes bloating and GERD symptoms...but luckily, ACV helps with that too! So ACV is kind of my miracle food right now. I also apply it as a toner...since with rosacea I can't really use any store bought blends. 

How did you figure out nightshades were bothering you? They don't seem to affect me at all. I miss my potatoes and eggplant - though I think I can eat eggplant again. I'm going to always monitor my histamine levels, but I think I've gotten them (and as a result, my allergies) under control. :)

bartfull Rising Star

At first I had bad psoriasis flares when I ate potatoes. (I never even tried tomatoes or peppers because I don't like peppers and I couldn't find any jarred sauces that didn't have corn syrup. And there are no eggplants where I live. Nobody even knows what an eggplant looks like!) So anyway, potatoes were the only nightshade I tried. I gave them up because of the psoriasis.

Then I tried them again a year or so later. No psoriasis. And I dearly love baked potatoes. When I would eat one every day, after a while I started getting joint pains. When I went off them the joint pains went away. Last time, well, it was my own fault. They had the ten pound bag on sale ridiculously cheap. I bought it and ate too many potatoes too many days in a row. The joint pains were so bad I could barely open my fingers in the morning.

Now after being off the potatoes for a while the joint pains are much better but still there. So I am going off sugar (next week when the ice cream is gone. :lol: )

I'm hoping that being sugar-free will get me potatoes back. And I finally found a jarred tomato sauce I can eat. (Come to think about it, I could eat canned sauce now that the corn doesn't bother me anymore.)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Yay Bartfull!

So do you think that it's a definite that soy and corn are back? That would be so much easier for you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Well, the bread has "soy protein" so I know I'm OK with soy now. And if I can eat corn starch and corn oil I would bet I can eat corn syrup too. (I would never eat the high fructose corn syrup, but maybe the regular.) And the thing is, the corn based plastic that they line cans with nowadays is made from the protein. So I THINK I may have all forms of corn back.

I'm not going to go overboard with either corn or soy because they are both GMO. And once I quit the sugar all of the GMO foods will be gone from my diet. But if I feel like buying something in a can now, I know I can. And you're right, there is soy in so many gluten-free foods. I don't buy a lot of processed foods, but it'll be nice to have more to choose from when I do.

My dream is to get it down to just wheat, rye, and barley. And it seems like my dream is staring to come true. :)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

If you enjoy stir fry, San-J has a number of wonderful certified gluten free stir fry sauces and soy sauces. I know that the soy sauce I have right now says non-gmo on it. It's the lower sodium type. Stir fry is a easy go to meal in our house.

bartfull - That's really great news. I know, right? Imagine getting down the intolerances to just gluten, as it should be! :P  I feel the same way. Like you, I think I'd still always be careful about the soy. I think it would be a rare treat...for example, I really liked Margaritaville's nachos when I went there this past summer. I do know their chips are cooked in soybean oil, though. I try to avoid all forms of soy, but maybe if I ate an occasional rare treat like that (after being fully healed), I'd be fine. Hopefully you can get your potatoes back. I miss them too! The diet I am on doesn't allow them, too starchy. 

Archived