This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Dinner Roll & Stuffing Recipe?

Stephanieaf8785

Stephanieaf8785 Newbie

I am hosting Thanksgiving this year and it's my first holiday as a Celiac. I need some good, easy dinner roll and Stuffing recipes. 

I have done some searching on google but figured it's best to get some good ideas from fellow Celiacs.

Thank you in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ginsou Explorer

You can use any favorite stuffing recipe and simply substitute gluten free bread cubes in place of regular bread cubes. In the past I have made my own stuffing this way and it came out very good.

I few years ago I discovered Rudi's Savory Herb stuffing mix....a bit pricey, but it makes a large amount....it was excellent. This year, my local store claimed Rudi's is not selling it anymore and the store will be selling Glutino stuffing mix in a few weeks. I'm wheat, dairy, soy intolerant and am not sure what the Glutino ingredients are, so I went to the Rudi's website and found the following recipe. I don't know if it is true or not about Rudi's no longer selling the stuffing mix...I'm thinking the store simply didn't want to stock it. I have a package left over from last year, so I'm all set for this year.

Gluten Free Stuffing with Rudi's Gluten free Bread:

16 slices of Rudi's G.F.bread (about 8 cups)=roughly 1 loaf of Rudi's gluten-free Multigrain and 1 loaf of Rudi's Original Bread.

2.5 cups of vegetable stock or broth

1/2 Tablespoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon fresh sage

1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme

1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and cube the bread.

2. Spread the diced bread on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Give the pan a shake midway through so the cubes brown evenly. Remove pan and let the bread cool.

3. Transfer the toasted bread, chopped herbs to a large bowl. If you want to add celery or onions, do now.

4. Now, drizzle a bit of stock over the bread cubes and gently mix. Repeat until all the bread is moistened but not soggy.

5. Oil a baking dish, transfer the dressing to the dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is crispy. Serve warm.

I have some other stuffing recipes in my collection that I will post later....right now it is time to eat and I'm hungry!

Ginsou Explorer

Herb Bread Stuffing by Annalise Roberts

6 cups gluten free plain white bread cubes

3/4 cup chopped celery

3/4 cup chopped onions

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine

3/4 teaspoon dried sage

1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

1 teaspoon demi-glace (optional)

1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves

salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

1 cup low sodium chicken broth (add another 1/4 cup for a moister stuffing)

1 large egg (optional)

3 Tablespoons butter or margarine cut into thin slices (for top of stuffing)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Position rack in center of oven. Remove crusts from bread and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Spread bread cubes on a large baking sheet and bake until cubes are dried out and golden. Allow to cool thoroughly. (Bread cubes can be prepared 2 days in advance. Store in a tightly sealed container or plastic zip lock bag in the refrigerator.)

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

3. Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery, sage, thyme, and marjoram; mix well and saute until  tender. Stir in demi-glace (if using) and mix to combine. (Vegetable/herb mix can be prepared 2 days in advance. Store in a tightly sealed container in refrigerator.)

4. Put bread cubes in a large mixing bowl. Stir in onion and celery mixture. Combine broth and egg and beat well with a whisk. Add broth mixture to bread cubes and mix in gently. Allow mixture to sit until all moisture is absorbed--about 15 minutes.

5. Spoon stuffing mixture into greased 8 x 8" baking pan and cover with foil. Bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove foil, dot with slices of butter across top of stuffing, and bake an additional 20-30 minutes until top is golden brown and a little crisp.

I always use Kitchen Basics broth....I find other brands thin and watery.

I like to add some raisins or chopped apple.

Be very careful adding the broth...the first time I made G.F. stuffing, it was too wet....I still ate it and the flavor was good. The second time I added a little liquid at a time until it was the consistency that I like. I also always put in a little more poultry seasoning than the recipe calls for....I'm from New England originally and always loved Bell's poultry seasoning.

Another recipe that I have used is for crock-pot stuffing.  Open Original Shared Link

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I have heard great things about this recipe. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Open Original Shared Link

LauraTX Rising Star

Last year I made this recipe basically used a whole loaf of Udis white, and a pan of cornbread, so had to increase liquid ingredients accordingly.   Open Original Shared Link

For the cornbread I use this recipe with just like 2 Tbsp of sugar (sweet cornbread is no good in dressing) Open Original Shared Link

And for rolls, instead of trying to pass off gluten-free stuff to regular gluten eaters, I made Chebe cheese rolls, which are the brazilian cheese bread, with parmesean and romano cheese.  I made a quadruple batch and they were gobbled up with people raving about them.  So they got their bread but I didnt have to go through hoops to try to appease people who remember what gluten rolls taste like.   

Open Original Shared Link

Otherwise if you want to do traditional rolls, I highly recommend making something from scratch, and testing it beforehand.  Anything premade may fall short of expectations for people who can eat regular yeast rolls, as they are the epitome of gluteny goodness, lol.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I skip the rolls. I have not made a gluten-free batch that can pass with my extended gluten-eating family. They love my cookies and cakes. I do make the gluten-free stuffing but is disguised with all the traditional savory flavorings! Pumpkin pie with a gluten-free crust is good, but sometimes I bake it without.

BridgetteIMcleod Newbie

I use cornbread for my stuffing mix. It works really well and my family doesn't know the difference. In my cookbook America's Test kitchen "How it can be Gluten Free", There is a recipes for dinner rolls, I have not tried it, but everything else I have made from the cookbook has turned out really well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbrookes Community Regular

I agree with Laura TX. I make the cheesy Chebe rolls and the gluten eaters (even picky teen-aged girls) gobble them up. Everything else can be just changed slightly and no one knows the difference.

LauraTX Rising Star

Oh, and on the Chebe rolls, I wanted to add, that you can make them ahead of time and freeze them uncooked and formed into the balls, then right on to the baking sheet and add 2-3 min to the time.  That way I had them fresh baked Thanksgiving morning without all the effort since I was making other stuff.

Adalaide Mentor

If you're into making rolls the day of, the ATK recipe for dinner rolls is absolutely amazing. They're still good the second day, but they're so much better still warm. I just made Rudi's stuffing last year. If you look on their website they have different recipes for doctoring it up and I used one of those, but it's also good just following the package directions.

BridgetteIMcleod Newbie

I was just looking at Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer. They have a gluten free stuffing mix for $5.99 for 12.4 package. I Think I might give it a try.

Archived