Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Adams

Study: Gluten Isn't Only Culprit In Celiac Disease - Monroe News Star

Study: Gluten isn't only culprit in celiac disease

Monroe News Star

It's known that gluten – found in wheat, rye and barley – is the cause of health problems in people with celiac disease. Now, new research suggests these folks may also react to non-gluten wheat proteins. The discovery could improve understanding of ...

View the full article

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, if you read the article, it states " new research suggests these folks may also react to non-gluten wheat proteins."

So, it is also all the OTHER proteins in WHEAT   that trigger our symptoms. It's not any additional foods, it's nothing new for those of us with celiac because  it's still wheat we shouldn't be eating.  

It's bigger news for non-celiacs because :

Now several studies hint that so-called gluten sensitivity might not always be caused by gluten. In some cases, the problem may be entirely different proteins—or even some carbohydrates. “We're so used to dealing with gluten as the enemy, but it might actually be something else,” says David Sanders, who teaches gastroenterology at the University of Sheffield in England. Joseph Murray, a gastroenterologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., agrees: “I'm starting to feel more uncomfortable calling it nonceliac gluten sensitivity. I think it might be better to call it nonceliac wheat sensitivity.”

In laboratory tests, wheat proteins known as amylase-trypsin inhibitors have stimulated immune cells in plastic wells to release inflammatory molecules called cytokines that can overexcite the immune system. In laboratory tests, wheat proteins known as amylase-trypsin inhibitors have stimulated immune cells in plastic wells to release inflammatory molecules called cytokines that can overexcite the immune system. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Join eNewsletter

Well, I did read the story, I read it over several sources as a matter of fact and could not figure out what the news was because if you are celiac you wouldn't be eating wheat anyway so I thought maybe there was something else to the story that the reporters just didn't get or understand.  <_<

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter