Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlessedMommy

Gluten Free French Fried Onions

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

so easy to make your own  using chick pea flour ( my favorite) or any other gluten-free flour and oil of choice 

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Here is a recipe I found

http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-fried-onion-topping-for-green-bean-casserole-445418

but I have had no luck finding these commercially in the past...

Vegetarian, Gluten Free since 03/2013, allergic to Cinnamon

Join eNewsletter

Ian's  makes  ready made gluten-free onion rings....our  gang likes  them... I keep a couple bags  on hand  but usually make  my  own...for  ready  made  I  think  they  are good....I bake them  on a  crisper  so  they keep  the crunch....

Join eNewsletter

I never put Ian's on top of Bean casserole , I just always did my own for the casserole.. But I do know people who put Funyuns ( snack food) on top of the casserole & have done that for many years......funyuns are gluten-free...

Join eNewsletter

I'm trying to figure out how to make Green Bean Casserole for Thanksgiving too.  Anyone find a good substitute for the cream of mushroom soup??  I'm going to make crispy onions somehow, maybe just slow cook them in the oven until crisp??  I could try frying them too.  I would think if you cooked the onion rings long enough in the oven they would be pretty crispy.  Not exactly the same but they would work in a pinch.

Join eNewsletter

progresso  makes a  gluten-free  mushroom soup  , pacific brand has a  condensed  mushroom soup  in a  small box., Full Flavor Foods  has a  mushroom  dry  soup you add  water to...

Yes,  you  can  use a little oil   to coat  the onion  rings  then dip  in  gluten-free  flour  with  some  favorite  spices  & bake  until crisp in the  oven. I bake at  400 ...

Others  use  potato chips  , crushed  chex  instead  of  fried  onions...

If  you  are  concerned  about  the progresso  soup  not  being  thick  enough  just  add  a  tbsp.  or two of  cornstarch but  we just  used  it  straight  from  can  &  it  thickened  up  while  baking.....

Join eNewsletter

I'm trying to figure out how to make Green Bean Casserole for Thanksgiving too.  Anyone find a good substitute for the cream of mushroom soup??  I'm going to make crispy onions somehow, maybe just slow cook them in the oven until crisp??  I could try frying them too.  I would think if you cooked the onion rings long enough in the oven they would be pretty crispy.  Not exactly the same but they would work in a pinch.

Alton Brown's recipe- I alter it for D, E, PN, TN and Gluten-Free!  

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/best-ever-green-bean-casserole-recipe.html

Join eNewsletter

Back when I ate dairy, I loved the Pacific Foods mushroom soup. That is a great consistency for recipes! 

Now that I'm DF, I like this tutorial.

http://allergyfreetestkitchen.com/2013/03/how-to-make-a-can-of-condensed-cream-of-mushroom-soup/

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

progresso  makes a  gluten-free  mushroom soup  , pacific brand has a  condensed  mushroom soup  in a  small box., Full Flavor Foods  has a  mushroom  dry  soup you add  water to...

Yes,  you  can  use a little oil   to coat  the onion  rings  then dip  in  gluten-free  flour  with  some  favorite  spices  & bake  until crisp in the  oven. I bake at  400 ...

Others  use  potato chips  , crushed  chex  instead  of  fried  onions...

If  you  are  concerned  about  the progresso  soup  not  being  thick  enough  just  add  a  tbsp.  or two of  cornstarch but  we just  used  it  straight  from  can  &  it  thickened  up  while  baking.....

Last year I used pacific cream of mushroom (it is condensed, progresso isnt but both would work well), and on the top I put crushed potato chips and parmesean cheese.  Worked well.

Alton Brown's recipe- I alter it for D, E, PN, TN and Gluten-Free!  

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/best-ever-green-bean-casserole-recipe.html

This.  Do it with whatever gluten-free flour and it will work great.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I never put Ian's on top of Bean casserole , I just always did my own for the casserole.. But I do know people who put Funyuns ( snack food) on top of the casserole & have done that for many years......funyuns are gluten-free...

I have made greenbean casserole with funyuns, it's good that way. Not quite the same as french fried onions but still good.

Vegetarian, Gluten Free since 03/2013, allergic to Cinnamon

Join eNewsletter

SMRI, I am only familiar with the cream of chicken and mushroom by Pacific. My family (all gluten eaters but me) can't tell the difference in casseroles, etc.

Pacific used to make a cream of celery, but discontinued it. Anybody know of a gluten-free cream of celery? 

Join eNewsletter

I found some of the Pacific Cream of Mushroom soup yesterday.  I am going to make some of the GB casserole and see how it tastes before the holiday.  I did realize when I got home that I forgot to get Green Beans so I have to run to the store again LOL.  

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter