This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Seeing Every Doc In Town! Fractures,osteopenia...need Answers!

southgin13

southgin13 Newbie

Hello!!!

I am hoping to gain some wisdom from all of you guys who know more than I do!!! I have always known that food is not my friend...forever I thought it was just greasy food, fried foods so I stayed away from them as a teenager. They made my stomach hurt and my skin itch. Then in my twenties I realized through a food elimination process that it was gluten!! So I just stopped eating it.

-Spring forward to my thirties now and 4 foot fractures this year...sent me for a dexa scan...osteopenia -2.4...ummm that's awesome! 

-Tons of labs show what it isn't: all of these were good....thyroid, parathyroid, kidneys,liver, cholesterol levels, hormone levels...all good! Yea! so....what is it???

-Vitamin D is a little low even though I have been on doses of that and Calcium for the past 6 months due to non-healing fractures in my feet. Podiatrist, Endocrinologist and Primary Care Docs all said it is low vitamin D  but not low enough to have caused the osteopenia...so....???

-Also in the past year I have realized that DAIRY hurts my stomach.  And now SEAFOOD (anaphylaxtic reaction) is my enemy as well....ARRGHH!!!

-So now I am on calcium, vitamin D  and not allowed to jog or run until answers are found. Don't want more broken bones!!!

But no one knows why I keep taking vitamins and my bones look the way they do on a scan.

-Primary Doc did a celiac blood test and then found out out I haven't eaten gluten on purpose for 5 years so...that was negative anyway.

---Basically I am just searching for answers other than "Please,take this med for your bones",  To which I say "um no thank you, I want to know what caused it instead!!" Or "Here is a pill for your depression"..."um no!"

-Just this week I tried "gluten free oatmeal" yesterday ....never been sicker...violent D...(sorry gross but true) and horribly itchy skin...and today worse cramps ever...felt like someone was pinching me from the inside! and still itching myself like crazy!!!

-Tired, sore,grouchy,headaches,LOTS of stomach issues, itchy, bumpy skin, depression,osteopenia,low vitamins.....GEEZ!!! I feel like I am going crazy and a little like a hypochondriac!!!! ;-( 

Anyone got any thoughts? Who do I see next?

I know it's long folks but aren't intros always long?? ;-) Any advice is appreciated!!!

Thanks for reading!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

sorry  your  are  having a  hard time  .....I really have no  answers  but have  you looked  into  the  low  histamine  diet  and or   both & fodmaps  along with  gluten free?

cyclinglady Grand Master

You think you have been gluten free, but really? Here is Newbie 101, a link to thread in this forum. It offers tips and discuses cross contamination. You may be getting gluten, but not enough to raise antibodies to show on a blood test (assuming you took the complete celiac blood panel).

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

My doc told me that once you have fractures you technically have osteoporosis! And my mother had a fracture from falling (she does not have celiac disease). She took almost a year to heal. Found out that smoking impedes bone healing. Do you smoke?

Finally, other things cause intestinal damage which can lead to malabsorption. Foods like milk or drugs. You might want to research that theory.

Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon. When I fractured my back (doing nothing) it was awful, so I can sympathize. You can heal! Do not give up!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I am into natural medicine and my first wonder is maybe your body doesn't tolerate calcium?   I would make sure that it is really doing you good and not harm.   I just found out by using NAET that my body was allergic to calcium.  I am trying to get desensitized.  All of your list of symptoms in my family history.  Mom is on a lot of calcium, but her bones strength isn't good.

bartfull Rising Star

You need vitamin D to absorb calcium, but you also need MAGNESIUM to absorb vitamin D. Open Original Shared Link

I take 4,000 units of D3 (it's better than D2), plus a pill that has 1,000 mg of calcium, 500 mg of magnesium, and 5 mg. of zinc.

southgin13 Newbie

Thanks guys!

No, I don't smoke or use any medications of any kind. Except for Benadryl if I accidentally get seafood in my system.

As for vitamins: I am on 2,500 of vitamin D3 and 1,200 of Calcium and a supplement of vitamin K and Magnesium.

I am just tired of feeling like I am sick all of the time, stomach issues, itchy skin, and catching every cold and sooooo tired of not being able to jog/run!!

Just don't know what to try next! Waiting on Gastro appointment.

But not sure if it's even a good idea I feel like I am wasting money left and right! 

Solandra Rookie

I know listening to doctors and taking pills can seem scary, but I'd follow your doctor's advice, at least for the pills for your bones that they want you to take. I'd see what the gastro has to say, too, and get whatever other tests you can to at least cover your bases and hopefully get some answers. I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julissa Explorer

sorry you are going through this. as far as why do conditions happen to us, do we ever really know? I take meds for my bones, I would scare me more not to and have more of a risk of breaks. 

hope you get to the bottom of this. 

Archived