Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Waitingindreams

Can You Clean Gluten Out Of A Food Processor?

I've had so many questions lately, as I have done so much more cooking/baking on my own and I am getting extremely overwhelmed. 

I know glass and stainless steel are the best for cooking in...I use Pyrex for a lot of baking and I recently bought a set of stainless steel pots/pans. 

My boyfriend got a food processor from his parents. He wasn't sure if it was used or not - but when we took it out to use it it had crumbs/dust in the top and brown stuff down the sides (looked like soda maybe? Not at all sure)

I do have slight OCD (that has definitely gotten worse in terms of worrying about cc) so I didn't deal with it and we put it away. I am fine hand washing or throwing the parts in the dishwasher (assuming they are dishwasher safe) but I am not sure if that will be enough to really clean it. I know food processors are expensive and I don't want to just give it back if there is a way we can use it. My boyfriend still eats gluten so I think that is part of the reason I am finding it difficult to relax while preparing all of this food, and trying to prepare it safely. 

What is the general consensus? I have no idea how old this processor is, how many times it was used, what it was used for - etc. I'm not even positive if it was used, but it is definitely dirty. 

My BF said he thinks his mother got rid of it because she tried to use it and it wasn't strong enough.

Thanks in advance!

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Food processors are made of hard plastic typically and I personally wouldn't have a problem using a well cleaned used one. You'll probably want to give extra attention to scrubbing the blades.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Thanks guys! I'll have to look at it when I am at his house again. He already told his mom we didn't want it, though (using the excuse that it wasn't strong enough) but if I can salvage it I will. Apparently he was looking into blenders/processors on his own since he doesn't know what to get me for Christmas, lol!

And I should be getting my spiralizer tomorrow, I can't wait to make zucchini pasta!

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter