Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gilligan

Antibodies And Inflammation

It's been a year since diagnosis and my latest blood work shows "no detectable antibodies".  It was a rough year, and I'm finally turning this around, but I'm still 18 lbs. underweight, and I can't seem to put it back on.  My question is this:  Without a presence of antibodies, does this mean that the inflammation is gone and intestinal damage has healed?  Am I not gaining weight because of malabsorption due to intestinal damage?  I thought it took years to repair the damage, so I'm very confused about this.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Congratulations! It appears that your body is no longer attacking your intestines but chances are your intestines need more time to heal.

I am coming up to my two year anniversary and I am still struggling with some issues. But my anemia has resolved and my fractures have healed. I am eating some foods that I was not able to tolerate two years ago. Things are looking up!

Please be patient!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

sup gilligan!

You helped me greatly in describing a true SIBO test (i'm still waiting until Jan for insurance, but you bet i'll be asking the doc to do it right the second time)

Again I  can only say part of my experience, I didn't test positive for Celiac, or Crohns, or thyroid problems, our current concrete fact is a have chronic minimal levels of inflammation in my bowels, doc is going for EGID or food intolerance/ leaky gut ( i don't care for diagnosis at this point )

Like cyclinglady pointed out, my aunt said even if you didn't have any anitbodies that only represents your body has thought to stop attacking itself,  there is still damage and inflammation, possibly leaky gut and areas other food particles are able to leak through and cause havoc as food intolerances.

My coworker firmly believes anyone who has problems with food needs to take digestive enzymes.  I'm not good with the research, but there are several public gov journals that point out close to 30% of celiacs or IBD/IBS can have signs of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency,  or problems with bile absorption.  You could be eating a perfect diet but if the enzymes aren't there it goes right through ya.

I have lost 22 pounds since last year leaving me stuck at 140pounds, i am currently contemplating entering enzymes in while waiting for insurance for other testing.... just thoughts!

Summer 2010 - Loose stools, insomnia, doc blames IBS, continues for years

Sept 2013 - extremely ill like flu, inflamed eyes, loosing weight

Feb 2014 - fecal calprotectin 151, colonoscopy/endoscopy clear, duodenum looked flat,

complete celiac blood panel negative

July 2014 - CT scan with barium normal,  new GI currently pushing eosinophilic disorder with possible NCGI, hasen't concluded to anything.

May 2014 - HLA DQ2A1*05:01/05:05 POSITIVE, one copy

HLA DQ2B1*02:01/02:02 POSITIVE, two copies

***Feb 13, 2015 - finally started on just one diet, began SCD intro diet.  I'm much better than last year but several symptoms won't go away, interesting too that I don't seem to digest ANY carbs, including sweet potato and well cooked carrots, goes right through me.

currently on an extreme elimination diet, I'm fairly active I use this topic as my journal:  celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/109377-tips-for-my-elimination-diet-my-progress-so-far-has-been-confusing-and-probiotics-feel-like-dropping-a-grenade-in-a-mineshaft-full-of-fireworks/#entry930840

Join eNewsletter

I agree with the others.  Normal antibodies just means that your intestines are no longer under attack.  There could still be other symptoms that still need to heal and your gut may not be all better yet.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):