Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFAnnie

Alternatives To Rice Flour?

I also started a post about rice free pizza crust recipes, but I want to also ask a general question to some of you with more gluten free cooking experience than me.

I would like to start moving away from the copious amounts of rice my family is consuming, due to the latest arsenic in rice news. We eat way too much, especially my children.  I'm hoping that maybe there are some good alternatives to rice flour in baking? Anyone have any suggestions, or are also trying to steer away from rice flour? I did a quick search and saw sorghum and amaranth flour mentioned. Anyone try these? Can you simply swap them out in a recipe asking for rice flour? I've done some baking with almond flour, which is delicious, but very expensive and not great for all kinds of baking, I don't believe.

Anyone?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use coconut flour, but I'm sure it does depend on what you're baking. It's about $5.00 a bag...almond flour is definitely crazy expensive! 

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

Join eNewsletter

Quinoa flour works well as a substitution where rice flour is called for. You can do quinoa flour more economically by grinding it yourself, if you have a grinding implement.

I know where you're coming from, we also try to limit our rice consumption, due to arsenic concerns.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Oh, and if you're wanting to continue eating whole rice from time to time, white basmati rice from India is one of the safest rice varieties. (very low arsenic level) I buy mine in 20 lb bags from Sam's Club for just over $1 per pound.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Denise 13
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts