Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marie1976

Neuropathy

I am dealing with neuropathy (I guess that's what it is) in my hands and arms. It is sometimes really painful. I used to think it was caused by accidental "glutening" but I am getting it more frequently. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this celiac-related or ... not? Just wondering about other celiacs' opinions/experiences on this. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know.....  I have neuropathy in the form of numbness pretty much everywhere.  There have been times it lessoned, and it isn't at its worse level of all times, but is pretty thickly numb now.  I have read it has to vitamin B, but vitamin B didn't seem to help me get rid of it.  I know time for healing is needed.  One person said their problem cleared after 3 years gluten free.  If I ever get to the bottom of the numbness, I will try to let you know.

Dee

Join eNewsletter

While neuropathy can be caused my a Celiac ingesting gluten/ untreated Celiac, it can be caused by other stuff, too.  So if you are getting it much more than usual, a trip to the doctor is in order to make sure there isn't another cause.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Too much B6 is also a known cause of neuropathy and nerve damage, (a source, but I've read other, better ones years ago) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0404.1987.tb03536.x/abstract 

Other source I've read showed that even 50mg a day can be too much for some. Unfortunately every B vitamin complex seems to have a minimum of 50mg of it. 

B12 deficiency can cause neuropathy, as can folate (it's also a B vitamin) deficiency.

Personally, I cannot have coffee or chocolate anymore, neuropathy and mood changes (which is, really, just nerve issues in the center of my nervous system). I can abide chocolate chip cookies in moderate amounts, but that's it. (Yes, the chocolate is always gluten free.)

Tea and caffeinated things like red bull do not have anywhere near the severity of problems that having a cup of coffee give me, but if I've had more than a serving, my neuropathy gets noticeable. I would not be at all surprised for me if it's simply linked to reduced blood flow in my extremities in regards to caffeine. Caffeine constricts blood vessels, and poor circulation to, well, anywhere is linked to things like cell death, reduced healing of various other tissues (like in planar fasciitis), and all sorts of other issues. De-constriction of key blood vessels in Muscular Sclerosis, MS, which is *defined* as a nerve disease, is a fairly recent surgical option for sufferers. It's controversial because it's not -supposed- to work, but yet I know someone for whom it's worked nothing less than amazingly.

Anyways, I personally think that the neuropathy I do have (which is nowhere near as bad as the OP's is) is initially caused by nerve damage, and so gets exacerbated quite easily. I also figure I  must have issues with something else in coffee and chocolate besides caffeine.

Join eNewsletter

Hi Marie

I'm wondering if you might also have some nerve entrapment?  I read somewhere that celiacs are prone to carpal tunnel etc.  I was diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment earlier this year. I have had pins and needles and numbness but I admit it tends to be there mostly when I wake up and wears off.  I have buzzing in my left foot and up my calf: it was worse at diagnosis but still get it, particularly after excercise.  I noticed that as my B12 and iron levels improved, so too has the neuropathy.  Mind you having that said, I have also noticed that when I get pins and needles they last longer than before I was ill.  A doctor told me that when we celiacs have deficiences, our nerves start complaining!

Anyway, here's some info on ulnar entrapment.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):