Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cristiana

Discomfort After Eating Oats - Is It A Problem With Avenin Or The Fibre?

Hello

I am living in the UK and we are about to celebrate "St Andrew's Day" the Scottish way with a gluten free haggis.  Having at first not been able to go near an oat since diagnosis I have noticed in recent months the odd oat biscuit seems to be OK although this week I am noticing I have discomfort in my stomach, and a sort of general soreness in my abdomen, having eaten a dozen!  Reminds me of the good old days pre-diagnosis.

Going back to St Andrews Day, oats are a key ingredient in haggis and my Scottish friend has managed to source a gluten-free variety, which I am hoping to eat.   I can live with this discomfort but what I am wondering is how do I know if I am one of the small number of celiacs who have a problem with avenin?  Is the only way of finding out a blood test? Or is it, what my nutritionalist seems to think, that I have a problem with this particular type of fibre.  I do encounter a similar sort of pain after eating lentil soup so maybe?

Many thanks

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Cristiana,

I don't have any answers...not very helpful of me I know. But I wanted to share that since my diagnosis I have tried oats on 3 separate occasions with bad results each time. I miss oatmeal...especially on cold mornings.

January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Join eNewsletter

I know... me too.  And flapjack - if you have that in the States?   It is difficult to know whether we have this problem with avenin or whether our stomachs are still sore.  

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter