Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nomorewheat8

Gluten Detox Period

Hi all, I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy two days ago and an ultrasound of my liver today. I have a week to go until I get my results to see if I have celiac disease or just gluten sensitivity. The gastroenterologist said my liver and small intestine are inflamed. Did anyone else have inflammation from celiac disease or gluten sensitivity? I have now stopped all gluten and I feel full in my rib cage area and back. Is this normal? My stomach issues seem much better but the fullness is new. Worried! Help! Thanks everyone.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes. Celiac disease is all about inflammation. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis multiple times, because of inflammation in my intestines. Then my doctor told me that celiac can mimic diverticulitis. It can evidently take many forms and cause many problems. I can't speak to the fullness you describe, but the inflammation can absolutely be a celiac thing. Good luck!

Join eNewsletter

Yes, inflammtion goes hand in hand with untreated celiac disease.  It can wreak havoc with your other organs like your liver, pancreas, gall bladder, skin, and even your brain.  Bloating is also a common symptom and can make you feel very large and full.

Have you had blood tests done too?  It is often a good idea to have that done before going gluten-free.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Thank you for the responses. Yes I had the blood test done but it came back negative. I had been eating healthy for about a week by cutting carbs hoping it would help my stomach when the celiac idea came up. So I don't know if I have a false negative or not. The doctor did four biopsies so I'm waiting for those results hoping for answers. I have been gluten free for almost two weeks and my stomach issues are much better but my liver area feels way more sensitive than before. I'm hoping its just because of a detox period. Not sure? I tried to find if this was normal for the liver to almost seem worse, but I'm not sure.

Join eNewsletter

Some people go through a withdrawal period in the first few weeks after going gluten-free.  Some symptoms get worse (for me it was headaches, fatigue, moodiness) even as some slowly improve.  And recovery is a slow process with many ups and downs that lasts for many months.  Most celiacs are still making autoantibodies after being gluten-free a few months, that means damage is still being done even though you are gluten-free.  Give it more time and hopefully things will improve over the next couple of months.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter