• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Patt

Washcloth

Rate this topic

Ok so im gluten intolerant, lately I've been feeling excessively tired

I lost my dishwasher when I separated so im doing my own dishes. I have separate cutting boards for the kids lunches and im as careful as I can be sharing a common space. is it possible its my wash cloth?

I am not "super sensitive" but I still use a pink or purple washing sponge for gluten-free and a blue or green one for gluten dishes.  But that is just the "normal" sensitive Celiac take - maybe some Super sensitives will weigh in - I bet most don't even have any gluten in the house.

Yes, gluten can be stuck in your dishcloth. I wash dishes by hand. I keep separate sponges like Karen. I only make noodles for my gluten-eating kid and let her have a bowl of Cherrios. That is it for gluten in my kitchen. I use paper towels, her sponge to clean her designated gluten pot, colander, and cereal bowl. I wipe down the counter with a paper towel. My dishcloths are for gluten-free messes! I take a clean one everyday. I used to nuke them in the micro to sterilize, but I worry more about gluten! I change my dish towel -- the one everyone uses to dry their hands daily too.

I also have trained my kid to wash her hands as soon as she gets home from school. She gets most gluten items in her school lunch or at friend's homes.

I hope you feel better soon! How is your thyroid? That might be contributing to your fatigue.

Definitely use separate wash clothes for gluten and gluten-free dishes! Cross contamination is common via sponge/towel in shared households if you're not using separate stuff.

If the fatigue continues, you might want to get your vitamin D levels checked too.  Low vitamin D levels can turn a person into a walking zombie from exhaustion.  (hubs and daughter needed supplementing under a doctor's care ~ adult prescription strength)

last I checked my thyroid was fine and everything else too, I think the biggest culprit in the house is the friggen bread. I cant control the crumbs

my kids are insanely picky eaters and their dietician recommended against gluten free eating for them for fear they wouldn't eat anything at all (anyway that's another topic)

I just wish I could do away with the sandwiches, but there is no real bread that compares (in their point of view anyway) or that I can afford. I mean I go through 2-3 loafs a week

and the bread crumbs do hang around longer in the dish towels it seems than anything else

God im in such a fog right now!

Chances are very good that your gluten eaters could be contaminating you. I had a relapse of neurological symptoms, a few weeks after my kids started their gluten challenge. My kids will eat food, drop crumbs all over, and touch gluten free food without washing their hands first. Or they will come and kiss me with their sweet little gluteny lips, rub their gluteny face all over mine or put their hands all over my face.

For my health and sanity, I absolutely can't have large amounts of gluten in the house. It raises my stress level too high to always be reminding my kids to not touch my food without washing their hands first. I have more important things to do and keeping a substantially mixed house is not worth my energy.

Try Pamela's bread mix, my gluten eaters love it! They also love my scratch recipe too.

http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2014/01/gluten-free-millet-sandwich-bread.html

Also, one alternative to sandwiches for school and work lunches, is to send hot foot in a thermos, or pack food to microwave in those little glass pyrex dishes. (pyrex portables)

tried the thermos thing, that was a flop. and in kindergarten and grade one they are not allowed to use the microwave as it takes too much of the teachers time. they only have 30 min lunch for some reason

Which thermos did you try? We tried a thermos once and had a disaster with it shattering all over. (interior was made out of glass or fiberglass, IIRC)

We purchased a genuine Thermos brand made out of stainless steel this time and haven't been disappointed, it does an excellent job of keeping food warm and is durable and safe. Even picky kids will usually enjoy stuff like meatballs, gluten free spaghetti, chili, lasagna, etc. 

They did not like the thermos? My daughter has been taking one since the kindergarten. I pack soup, meatloaf, chili, tamales, enchiladas, burritos, noddles, Mac and cheese, noddles with chicken and cheese, fried rice, whatever can be crammed in. Preheat the thermos with hot water. It will keep it warm. She still is using the same thermos since she was five (now 13) and has never lost it.

She says her friends fight over my meatloaf! She refuses to buy a school lunch!

Are you getting worse? Yes, it you are getting glutened. Each glutening in my experience sets you way back. Keep it up and you are looking at cancer, osteoporosis, heart disease, another autoimmune disease......

Real? I fractured my back in two spots doing NOTHING three months after my diagnosis. Anemia was my only symptom and I had that for all of my life! Celiac disease can cause big time damage.

My kid is not a picky eater. But my brother was. This was years ago, but our family doc told my mom to put healthy food in from of him only. No treats at all. He told her that kids are like little animals and they could only hold out for so long before giving in. Mom followed this advice. He eats anything now. He did not perish and my mom gave up being a short-order cook. Again, this is old-fashioned advice and I have no idea as to what is going on with your kids. Your call.