Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bartfull

The Cost Of Bread

So I bought some Udi's last night. The price has gone up to $7.41 a loaf. Canyon Bakehouse and Schar (the only other edible brands here) are even more.

I know I can get baking mixes but they are priced about the same and on top of that I would have to make them so there's no point.

I could buy flours seperately and make my own mix but again, the cost of the different flours is so high it would probably cost more in the long run.

I've been so enjoying the grilled cheese sandwiches but it looks like it's time to go back to using plain old rice as my staple and leaving bread as an occasional treat. :(

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Gosh I hope it doesn't go up that much where I live. It is still under $5 here (just barely). It is hard to afford especially if you have a relatively low income. It would be nice if as demand goes up for gluten free bread the price goes down but oh well......

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I saw at Costco today, two loaves of Canyon for under $8.  Don't kn ow if you have a membership, but that's the best price I've seen.  Almost $8 for one loaf is too much!!

January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Join eNewsletter

I paid 6.99 CAD on Monday for Udi's flax bread, which is 6.15 US at today's exchange rate.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

There's no Costco in the Black Hills. :angry:

There is a Walmart in Rapid City and their website says they have gluten-free. But I only venture up there about once a year. I might ask a friend who goes there more often if he can pick some up next time he goes.

I could order online I suppose but the only freezer I have is the little one on my refrigerator. I wouldn't be able to order enough to make the shipping cost worthwhile. I wanted to buy a small freezer for just this purpose but the electrical in my house is old knob and tube wiring.

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

^^^ When I last figured out my loaf it was about $2.75 a loaf with the Namaste all-purpose flour.  I tend to keep a loaf of the Aldi stuff in the freezer just in case we need a quick piece and I don't have a loaf ready.  Come to think of it, I should probably just freeze a pre-cut loaf that I make.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (9 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (5 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 3 (3 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

Join eNewsletter

Gluten free bread is pretty easy to make anyway, because of the lack of having to knead the stuff. I bought a bread maker and found that I barely use it, because it's easy enough just to mix everything up by hand.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

I guess the problem is my location. EVERYTHING is expensive here. A very small box of all-purpose gluten-free flour here is over ten bucks. It would only make one loaf. Bread mixes are the same.

I'll just enjoy the two loaves I bought and then go back to mixing things with rice. I have done that for my bacon egg and cheese "sandwiches" in the past. I melt a little butter and a lot of cheese over the rice, cook my eggs soft and mix them into the rice/cheese mixture, then crumble the bacon over it all. It's not as good as a real sandwich but it'll do.

One thing I can look forward to - a friend of mine always gives me a $50 gift certificate to the health food store for Christmas. That'll get me six loaves with a little left over for some Lara bars. (Which are $2 a piece here.)

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Bart, sorry to hear that bread is so expensive in your area. You have my permission to console yourself with some decadent ice cream!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I guess the problem is my location. EVERYTHING is expensive here. A very small box of all-purpose gluten-free flour here is over ten bucks. It would only make one loaf. Bread mixes are the same.

I'll just enjoy the two loaves I bought and then go back to mixing things with rice. I have done that for my bacon egg and cheese "sandwiches" in the past. I melt a little butter and a lot of cheese over the rice, cook my eggs soft and mix them into the rice/cheese mixture, then crumble the bacon over it all. It's not as good as a real sandwich but it'll do.

One thing I can look forward to - a friend of mine always gives me a $50 gift certificate to the health food store for Christmas. That'll get me six loaves with a little left over for some Lara bars. (Which are $2 a piece here.)

Target in my area sells Udi's for $4.49 a loaf.

Join eNewsletter

:lol: Thanks, Cyclinglady, but no thanks. I have given up the ice cream. Sugar causes inflammation and my left wrist has been really sore for the past several weeks. It's getting better though because I haven't been eating sugar.

And you know, it feels good to be off sugar. Except when I was a very little kid I didn't ever like sweet stuff. Sure I would have ice cream sometimes, but you could offer me a candy bar a hundred times and I would always decline. I even remember how when I was a kid I would always ask if I could have my last pancake with just butter. It finally dawned on Mom and she asked, "You don't like maple syrup, do you?" I hung my head and whispered a quiet, "No", figuring I'd be in trouble because we were always expected to eat whatever was put in front of us. Imagine my relief when I found out that, unlike vegetables, i didn't HAVE to eat maple syrup anymore.

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

"Target in my area sells Udi's for $4.49 a loaf."

Welcome to the forum Monamae! Other than the health food store, the only store in my area that sells gluten-free foods is Lynn's Dakotamart. Stores like Safeway and Walmart and Target are a 120+ mile round trip for me.

But anyway, now that you're here, why don't you start a new thread and introduce yourself so eveyone else can welcome you too. :)

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

One way that I keep the cost of bread recipes down is by grinding the special types of flour myself wherever possible. Certified G.F. millet bought in bulk is way cheaper than millet flour. My Vitamix makes flour out of it in about 60 seconds, so it's really not time consuming to do.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

:lol: Thanks, Cyclinglady, but no thanks. I have given up the ice cream. Sugar causes inflammation and my left wrist has been really sore for the past several weeks. It's getting better though because I haven't been eating sugar.

And you know, it feels good to be off sugar. Except when I was a very little kid I didn't ever like sweet stuff. Sure I would have ice cream sometimes, but you could offer me a candy bar a hundred times and I would always decline. I even remember how when I was a kid I would always ask if I could have my last pancake with just butter. It finally dawned on Mom and she asked, "You don't like maple syrup, do you?" I hung my head and whispered a quiet, "No", figuring I'd be in trouble because we were always expected to eat whatever was put in front of us. Imagine my relief when I found out that, unlike vegetables, i didn't HAVE to eat maple syrup anymore.

Good for you! I was diagnosed with so diabetes which I am controlling by not eating sugar. I wish I had given it up sooner. I feel much better without it.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

Yeah, if ordering in bulk from canyon (its $5/loaf if you order a case) isn't going to be an option without a big freezer, I would definitely say make your own.  I know bread recipes can be very diverse and there are mixes, too.  So ya just gotta have at it and do some experimentation!  May be worth investing in a good bread knife, etc, so you can get actual slices.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter