Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

peppyking

Trader Joe's Salami

My 3-yr old w/ celiac disease wants to eat Trader Joe's artisan salami. The package lists "natural flavoring" and "spices". I understand that TJ's will call out if derived from wheat, barley and rye, but do not guarantee against cross contamination. Is this in the "not worth it" category? Should I tell her no and buy certified gluten-free salami?

Background: She was diagnosed in the last month and I have been restricting her diet to whole foods that I prepare and food labeled gluten free. I have also taken us gluten free in the house to avoid cross contamination. I want to protect her, but am not sure if I'm going overboard and unnecessarily restricting her diet from things that "should" be safe. Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Its probably fine.  But.... I doubt a 3 year old would care if her salami is from Trader Joes or pre-packaged Boarshead?  There are many brands that say "gluten-free" on them - why not just buy those?

Join eNewsletter

That makes sense. I am not even certain how it ended up in my home. Maybe one of the kids grabbed it while shopping, as I have been checking everything I put in the cart. Yesterday, she found it in the fridge an I told her no, since I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter