This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Could Just Cry...

aikiducky

aikiducky Apprentice

I'm not often frustrated with my diet... but today I had such a disappointment! I found (I thought) a gluten free dairy free marzipan bar today. I have been wanting marzipan, it's in all the shops here. :P

It said gluten free on the package and all! I was optimistic enough to buy two. Since the ingredients listed glucose syrup though, without giving the source, I didn't eat it before checking the manufacturer's website. Getting my hopes even higher by all the hype about their high standards and all on the website...

The glucose syrup is made from wheat. :(

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

At least I DIDN'T eat it. I'm going to have some raisins instead. :)

Why on EARTH couldn't they use a naturally gluten free syrup instead?

Pauliina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

If it said Gluten Free on the package, but the website said otherwise, I would most DEFINITELY contact the company and ask them to please remove the Gluten Free label from the package if that is not the case. They really need to be made aware of what gluten is, and if this particular product is in fact gluten free or not, they need to clarify it. What is the company so we can all bombard them with e-mail or phone calls or letters???!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Thank goodness you checked the website before you ate it!! When I think of the times I see gluten free on a label and just assume that its fine--that company needs to get their act together :angry:

aikiducky Apprentice

Thing is I'm in Europe, so if the glucose syrup has gluten under the Codex Alimentarius norm amount, they are allowed to call it gluten free. I just think that in that case they should at least mention that there still can be traces of gluten for us extra sensitive people to avoid. :(

I hate the Codex norm with a passion, it makes my food shopping such a PITA. Even lists of gluten free foods are suspect, I always have to check how they define "gluten free".

Oh well, I'm almost over it. :rolleyes: Raisins are good...

Pauliina

Guest nini

can't you make a homemade marzipan? I don't know how difficult this would be, I'm just asking.

KenS Newbie
I'm not often frustrated with my diet... but today I had such a disappointment! I found (I thought) a gluten free dairy free marzipan bar today. I have been wanting marzipan, it's in all the shops here.  :P

It said gluten free on the package and all! I was optimistic enough to buy two. Since the ingredients listed glucose syrup though, without giving the source, I didn't eat it before checking the manufacturer's website. Getting my hopes even higher by all the hype about their high standards and all on the website...

The glucose syrup is made from wheat.  :(

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

At least I DIDN'T eat it. I'm going to have some raisins instead.  :)

Why on EARTH couldn't they use a naturally gluten free syrup instead?

Pauliina

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Aikiducky

My information is that glucose syrup has no detectable gluten even if derived from a gluten containing grain. I beleive this information, supplied by The Coeliac Society of Australia, to be correct. I've certainly never had a problem with it.

aikiducky Apprentice

Nini, I have no idea. :D But I don't think I want it badly enough to figure out how to make some myself. Just like I do like cakes but I never bake - laziness wins over gluttony...

I could chew on some almonds and sugar, it all gets mixed up in the tummy anyway, doesn't it? ;)

That sounds like I'm really five years old, lol.

Pauliina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

LOL! No... I understand!

I really really want a gluten-free Krispy Kreme type donut, but I'm too lazy to try to figure out how to make one.

tarnalberry Community Regular

at least try looking up a recipe. from what I remember, marzipan is not hard to make at all.

bluelotus Contributor
Hi Aikiducky

My information is that glucose syrup has no detectable gluten even if derived from a gluten containing grain. I beleive this information, supplied by The Coeliac Society of Australia, to be correct. I've certainly never had a problem with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi KenS,

I don't know anything about glucose syrup, so is this something that is distilled from a grain? I don't want to bring up that debate again (I kind of got upset with some in the forum, including Tarnalberry....feel bad :( ) Anyway, if it is distilled or just 'grain-derived' at some point, maybe there is an inherent contamination risk involved. I know I have had a rxn to distilled grains (without gluten additives), and I think others have too, regardless of whether the distillation is supposed to remove all gluten.

I am not trying to be argumentative, just curious about glucose syrup specifically (not asking about general grain distillation). Thanks.

Felidae Enthusiast

I googled it for you because I love marzipan, but I have not had any since going gluten-free. That codex is such a pain. It is hard enough shopping here knowing that gluten-free means gluten-free and every time I see a European product sold here that looks good, I wonder if it is really safe.

2 cups of confectioners’ sugar

½ pound of finely ground blanched almonds (or prepared almond paste as directed on box)

2 egg whites

½ teaspoon of salt

½ teaspoon of almond extract

Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and completely blended together.

Wrap or cover tightly and chill until firm.

lovegrov Collaborator
LOL! No... I understand!

I really really want a gluten-free Krispy Kreme type donut, but I'm too lazy to try to figure out how to make one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't waste your time. KK doughnuts can't be replicated without gluten.

richard

KenS Newbie
Hi KenS,

I don't know anything about glucose syrup, so is this something that is distilled from a grain?  I don't want to bring up that debate again (I kind of got upset with some in the forum, including Tarnalberry....feel bad  :( )  Anyway, if it is distilled or just 'grain-derived' at some point, maybe there is an inherent contamination risk involved.  I know I have had a rxn to distilled grains (without gluten additives), and I think others have too, regardless of whether the distillation is supposed to remove all gluten. 

I am not trying to be argumentative, just curious about glucose syrup specifically (not asking about general grain distillation).  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello Bluelotus,

I'm sorry, I don't know how glucose syrup is manufactured. I depend completely on the ingredient list provided by "The Coeliac Society of Australia", and I haven't been let down yet. (Over six months now).

I may be quite wrong here, but I feel that if you have problems with distilled products, there may be something else going on besides or in addition to celiac disease.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I can only speak from my own experiences.

Ken.

bluelotus Contributor

Thanks anyways. Like I said, I am not trying to get into a debate about distilled products. I got sick off it, it may be b.c it was distilled, it may be because of crappy contamination control in a plant that obviously uses wheat. I have celiac disease. Never seen glucose syrup in the states, so its not a big deal.

Thanks anyways for your concern.

aikiducky Apprentice
Hi Aikiducky

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Ken,

your information is correct - up to a point. Theoretically, glucose syrup should be safe - unfortunately, no one told my gut that, and it still reacts... for me gluten-free really has to be 100% naturally gluten free. I know other people with the same problem, too, it's a constant topic on local gluten-free mailing lists. The new European food labelling laws might help, we'll see.

Thank you for the recipe Felidae! Maybe I can get my mom to make some... :D

Pauliina

Beanie Newbie
:( It is sad that MD means more drugs!!!A word of warning: A recent New York Times editorial reported on new research of the enzyme tryptophan. This is being touted as a "new" promising treatment for those with, among other things, auto-immune disease. It's already being used in trials in Britain. It has a bad track record and I hope that the medical profession, researchers and pharaceutical companies do not begin to push this on an unsuspecting public! It's been around for quite some time possible adverse outcomes are extremely serious.
darlindeb25 Collaborator

So, is glucose syrup similiar to corn syrup here? By the way--Krispy Kremes! I used to sell them, I never have had one, by the time I was selling them at work, I was already gluten free. We had a company before KK called The Sweet Shop--a mom and pop place---they made the best donuts I ever had. When Speedway (where I worked) switched to Krispy Kremes, people threw a fit, they wanted the Sweet Shop back. I am happy I dont crave donuts--I never was one who needed donuts or cakes---now a good choc chip cookie--yummmmmm! :P

As for listing gluten--companies get away with that disclaimer--"We dont feel the level of gluten is detectable" I feel any level is too much and if it isnt a high enough level to be detectable, then it doesnt need to be in the product to begin with. I found vitamins a few weeks ago--Puritan Pride--and they stated they are gluten free, but there is barley grasses on the label---of course, they have that nice little disclaimer at the bottom of their site--I wont use the vitamin.

We have to watch out for us and we have to make them all pay attention to us. Deb

aikiducky Apprentice
So, is glucose syrup similiar to corn syrup here?  Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess so, only it can be made of wheat as well, and until now, it wasn't necessary to list on the ingredients whether or not it was made from corm or wheat. I'm not sure if that is going to change, I'm not completely up to speed about that yet.

BTW, I got a reply from the company. They were sorry that I couldn't use their product, but the glucose syrup was necessary for the something or other, consistency or something. Oh well. They did reply promptly ay least.

Pauliina

Archived