Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMRI

Good gluten-free Sugar Cookie Recipe?

Does anyone have a tried and true gluten-free sugar cookie recipe?  I had one that used sour cream in the past (gluten version) but I can't find it anywhere.  I want to make some cut-out cookies for Christmas.  I'll make the cookies and cut them out and then freeze them until closer to Christmas when I will bake them.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

12 1/2 ounces (2 3/4 cups) Gluten Free Flour Blend

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

16 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces and softened

7 ounces (1 cup) superfine sugar, If you don't have piut 1 cup sugar in the food processor for 30 seconds.

1 large egg, plus 1 large yolk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Whisk flour blend salt, and xanthum gum together in bowl set aside. Using stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 min. Add egg, yolk, and vanilla and beat until well combined. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture, and mix until flour is incorporated and dough comes together, 2 to 4 mins. Divide dough into 4 pieces wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.(don't skip this step.) 

Working with one piece of dough at a time. roll 1/8 inch thick between 2 large pieces of parchment paper. Loosen top layer of parchment, flip dough over and roll again. Place dough between parchment on cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 30 mins.

Heat oven to 325 degrees. line 2 baking sheets with parchment. peel parchment from one side and cut shapes with cookie cutters. Bake cookies 12 to 14 mins. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 min before removing, otherwise might fall apart.

Join eNewsletter

I actually ended up using the "I Can't Believe it's Gluten Free" sugar cookie recipe.  The cookies are VERY good, however, it is not a good cut-out sugar cookie recipe.  I only made a small batch just to try.  

Question about the superfine sugar--we have just regular Crystal sugar, is that close enough or are you talking about powdered sugar?  I have a food processor but it's not very good.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter