Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lilybean

Progesterone Exasperating Dh?

This may be purely anecdotal, but I'm wondering if there's a connection between progesterone levels and DH flare ups.

Back story: For as long as I can remember, I've had a very irregular period. I've averaged about 3 cycles per year, but it's improving since going gluten free about 5 months ago. Over the past several years, I've tracked my cycles as a way to prove to my doctors that it was really that serious. Because of this, even being irregular, I now know when I'm about to "start." I've also noticed that my DH tends to flare really bad in the two weeks leading up to my period. Those last two weeks are when progesterone levels increase sharply. (Look up a chart of hormone levels during a cycle and you'll see what I mean.)

I know I saw a post on this forum about the progesterone-DH connection. It wasn't very detailed though and my searches have turned up very little. So does anyone have any info about this? Is it really that significant, or is it all in my head?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hormone levels can affect dh flares or outbreaks. It's not all in your head. 

it is well known that pregnant women can suddenly break out in dh seemingly out of nowhere but it was there lurking all along. it's just that the pregnancy hormones triggered it. 

Sooooooooooo, it's not all in your head & yes, hormones affect dh.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter