This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

mgrant7209

mgrant7209 Newbie

Hi. Either I can't find a good, pure turmeric, or I am cross-reacting with it. Does anyone else have a problem with turmeric? What is a good, pure, not too expensive commercially available brand (in USA)? Thanks. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

McCormick spices are safe for us. And the ONLY valid "cross-reactivity" is for ALLERGIC reactions, not for intolerances. If you're new to the gluten-free diet it is probably that you just haven't healed yet. Sometimes at the beginning we don't do well with spicey foods.

mgrant7209 Newbie

Hi Bartfull,

thanks for the info. I've been gluten-free since May 5, 2014, and am scrupulous about it (except for 2 incidents of hidden gluten). I know something else is going on, as I still have 1 or 2 "attacks" a week, and can't figure out what is causing them (sometimes happens even if I haven't eaten or drank anything). So, I have more detective work ahead. I'm hoping all of you here will be able to help. Thanks again.

bartfull Rising Star

That's not really all that unusual. It took three and a half years before I was finally better. I developed intolerances to all sorts of foods for a while - corn, soy, almonds, blueberries, guar gum, and other things. It's only been the past month or two that I have been able to eat just about anything (except gluten of course).

Keep a food and symptom diary. Keep your diet simple. (If you're eating processed foods with lots of ingredients you won't be able to tell which ingredient is the culprit.) Write down every little thing that goes in your mouth every day. Keep track of how you feel. And remember, for a lot of us it got worse before it got better. (Or should I say, at least in some cases, it got better right away, then got a lot worse, and took a long time to get really better again.)

beth01 Enthusiast

We always look to gluten as our go-to something made me feel like dirt, when we might be looking in the wrong direction. I was diagnosed a month before you and it took me a diary to figure out what bothers me besides gluten. Hoping to get some of them back after I heal. Good luck and hope you find the offending food.

LauraTX Rising Star

I use Mccormick turmeric, my primary gluten-free spice brand.  I would recommend using a food diary to see what else could be bothering you... sometimes it is just from not being healed yet.  Also, if you are using turmeric to make things like spicy curries, those certainly can cause GI distress :)

• 2 years later...
Gfjeschef Newbie

I found turmeric that had written on the packaging the "this item was farmed using the same machinery as wheat." Since I have not found a turmeric spice with this label or any other indicating it is gluten-free or not. I stay away ! I think people are differently with their sensitivity level ... but I will not even use a curry blend with turmeric in it, unfortunately.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Gfjeschef said:

I found turmeric that had written on the packaging the "this item was farmed using the same machinery as wheat." Since I have not found a turmeric spice with this label or any other indicating it is gluten-free or not. I stay away ! I think people are differently with their sensitivity level ... but I will not even use a curry blend with turmeric in it, unfortunately.  

Spicely Organics lab certifies all their spices gluten-free. The turmeric and curry powder they have is safe, also Thai Kitchen Curry Paste is certified Gluten free....I like you do not trust the normal curry powders or most blends with it.

Archived