Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JewelEBeth

Flu Shot

I was wondering if anyone has a comment on whether or not your doctor recommends a flu shot with celiac disease.  I work in a medical facility so flu shots are mandatory but I swear that I get worse with celiac disease symptoms about a month after the flu shot.  My flu shot was 10-28 and around 11-28 I started having inflammation of my entire intestinal tract, liver, gall bladder; etc.  I have started to eliminate even more foods from my diet which is a real problem since I've already eliminated so much.  Now I cannot have any packaged "gluten free" food and meat is bothering my gall bladder. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/is-it-okay-to-get-a-flu-shot-if-i-have-celiac-disease

"Is it okay to get a flu shot if I have celiac disease?

Yes, it’s fine to get a flu shot. The immune system of those with celiac disease has not been compromised. You should receive the same immunizations as healthy individuals."

Join eNewsletter

You are fine to get the flu shot. If you have an issue with vaccines, it is something other than your Celiac disease.

According to University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center:

"Yes, it’s fine to get a flu shot. The immune system of those with celiac disease has not been compromised. You should receive the same immunizations as healthy individuals."

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/is-it-okay-to-get-a-flu-shot-if-i-have-celiac-disease

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Both my hubs & I have had flu shots every year & never had any problems. In fact, this year, along with the flu shot we both got shingles shots & we are fine.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

It sounds like you have something else going on and it most likely has nothing to do with the flu shot.  Do you have gall bladder problems?  This is common to those with Celiac Disease anyway.  You may also have pancreatic insufficiency, whic would cause gastro symptoms like you mentioned.

FWIW.....I have never had a flu shot.  I have also never had the flu but prefer to use common sense practices to avoid becoming sick. I am in a low risk group for the flu anyway.  Some people report a slight fever and the chills the day or 2 after a flu shot but that is normal. It just means your immune system has been briefly engaged.

Hope you feel better soon!

Join eNewsletter

I've had flue shots every year for as long as I can remember. Before and after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Have never had a reaction, of any kind (well except perhaps a slightly sore arm, lol). 

best regards, larry mac

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Join eNewsletter

Great to hear you're improving! :)

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter