• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

daisymae106

Lindt Lindor Chocolate And Barley Malt Ugh!

Rate this topic

Hi Everybody!!

Well, the holidays are here and I just made a HUGE mistake!  I ate a Lindt Lindor Dark Chocolate truffle ASSUMING that it was ok.  I have celiac disease and have been gluten free for 3 years now and I should have known better!  I am so mad at myself! :angry:  Anyway, this is the first time that I can remember that I know I definitely ingested gluten since going gluten free.  I'm sure I have had gluten unknowingly or have been cross contaminated because I have had reactions over the last three years, but nothing that I could 100% pinpoint.  Anyway, I am not sure what my reaction will be, but I just wanted all of you to know that after researching this just now, most Lindt Chocolate DOES contain barely malt.  I think the white chocolate truffles appear to be safe according to the ingredient list although it does list artificial flavors and I am not sure about that.  I also have read that Lindt does not maintain that ANY of their products are gluten free.  Thanks for listening!!  Maybe barley malt does not illicit as strong a reaction as other sources of gluten?? I hope all of you stay clear of gluten in all of the Christmas goodies being passed around out there! Have a safe and blessed holiday season!

Yep, Lindt used to be something I would treat myself with, one of the first things I learned was a no-go when I got diagnosed.  Barley malt is something to watch for in chocolates, sadly. Hopefully your reaction isn't as bad this time, I don't think there is going to be a large amount of gluten from the barley malt (versus accidentally eating gluten pasta, etc), so hopefully that goes in your favor!

Well, heck.  Godiva chocolate also states that their products are not safe for celiac or NCGI folks.  Sigh.

Ghirardelli is a good choice (they have shared equipment but great practices to clean lines in between), and my favorite is See's Candy, of which everything is now gluten-free.  They are a bit pricey, though.

I just  found  out  See's  candy shoppe  is  all gluten-free  now.....I make  the  cookie/candy  turkeys  for  thanksgiving  &  needed  a  replacement  for  the  malted candy   that   is  used  for  gluten eaters & I found  the  perfect  size  ball  at  See's.....

Anyone know a chocolate manufacturer that actually does a good gluten-free impersonation of Lindt Lindor bonbons with that melty chocolate inside? I haven't found one yet.

Been there, done that! Lindy used to be my favorite. Personally, I have less of a reaction to Barley, you may get lucky!

Anyone know a chocolate manufacturer that actually does a good gluten-free impersonation of Lindt Lindor bonbons with that melty chocolate inside? I haven't found one yet.

Sees candy makes a Milk Chocolate Butter and Dark Chocolate Butter that I think match the outer/inner texture pretty well.  They aren't spheres, just regular fancy chocolate candy shape.  But they have that smooth center.... yum.  I am craving chocolate now.  But, I eat a lot of chocolate, probably way too much, and luckily I have a See's store semi-near me, so I stop in and treat myself sometimes.  Haven't found anything else near the Lindt truffle bon bon ball things, they used to be a favorite treat.

They are the first two on this selection page: http://www.sees.com/index.cfm/custom_mix/select Not to be confused with  "Milk Chocolate Buttercream", although that is good, too.

Is it just the Lindt Truffles that have Malt in it?? Or is it all the chocolates????? Every once in a while I treat myself to lindt chocolate bar. I guess thats a nono huh??

Is it just the Lindt Truffles that have Malt in it?? Or is it all the chocolates????? Every once in a while I treat myself to lindt chocolate bar. I guess thats a nono huh??

Every time I see something new that is lindt, I take a look at the ingredients, and I have not yet found one that is safe.  I wish there was.  Definitely steer clear, and read every ingredient list, every time!  Its always the mundane little things that get ya.

I have a feeling that the very high percentage cocoa bars might be gluten free but make sure you check the labels. But those aren't the ones I really like, the Lindor chocolate is what sets it apart from the others....  

This is from the Lindt website:

"Gluten can be found in several premium chocolate products that Lindt &Sprüngli produces; either as a cereal ingredient or as a barley component. Additionally, there are some specific premium chocolate products that are manufactured without cereal or barley malt; however, and even though Lindt & Sprüngli incorporates the most stringent cleaning process of all of our manufacturing lines, trace amounts of these gluten ingredients and components may have the opportunity to come in contact with non gluten products, and therefore we cannot make the statement that any of our premium chocolate products are purely "gluten free." "

Given all the other chocolate brands that are out there and are safe, I would pass over any Lindt item.  

My boss gave me a bag of Lindt truffles today. Thanks to this topic I immediately checked the ingredients and saw barley malt. My cubicle mate was happy to take them off my hands.

I got my son some Endangered Species chocolate bars for his Christmas stocking.  He's had them before, they come in several flavors and he likes them.   They were the only ones I could find that are certified gluten free.  And, as an added bonus, 10% of the profit is donated to endangered species wildlife, something our family supports.  No, they are not truffles, but if you crave chocolate and want to know its safe, they are a good choice. 

I was just  given  some  lindt  choc  balls  i search for  ingredients and it didnt say  gluten  so I ate  one   and then on further  research  yes  they do have  the  malt  barley in them  so  great  now  i will have to wait  and  see  how  my gut   is  later  tonight .. so  frustrating    i did not  know they were truffles  and ate it   only to see  that  The  truffles   did  have  the  barley  it tasted  delicious  btw  ...

16 hours ago, Tigerlily200 said:

I was just  given  some  lindt  choc  balls  i search for  ingredients and it didnt say  gluten  so I ate  one   and then on further  research  yes  they do have  the  malt  barley in them  so  great  now  i will have to wait  and  see  how  my gut   is  later  tonight .. so  frustrating    i did not  know they were truffles  and ate it   only to see  that  The  truffles   did  have  the  barley  it tasted  delicious  btw  ...

Last post was from 2014, ingreidents do often change and you always have to check the package.

3 hours ago, annlisa said:

BAKERS PURE  BAKING CHOCOLATE BY KRAFT  ITS THE BEST  AND EASY TO FIND

PURE COCOA IS EASY TO MAKE CHOCOLATE DIY  JUST GOOGLE

I use Hershey Dark and Hershey cocoa both are gluten free also,  I sometimes source other powders like Gerbs Allergen Friendly foods or Big Tree Raw cocoa for different flavors. I also buy Crio Bru ground roasted cocoa beans. Different ones like the Ghana, Ecuador, Dominican republic, with different roast like the dark Ghana all have different profiles. I love these in snack mixes. For premade chips, I use Enjoy Life, and Gerbs in my bakery. I am working on sourcing some sugar free bars for the holidays and am looking at three sources, The latter of which has a ton of great options I linked the dark but they have milk if you like dairy.
http://shop.goodchocolate.com/
https://the-macalat-shop.myshopify.com/products/macalat-shamanic-chocolate
http://www.cocopolo.com/dark-chocolate/all.html