This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Daiya Pizza

BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'm gluten free and dairy free, so finding a decent pizza is hard. I don't care for Amy's gluten-free/DF pizza at all. I think that the Daiya variety are the best frozen pizzas that I've had so far! Very good!

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

My kids didn't care for them. It makes me sad because that would make my life SO much easier if they liked them over my homemade ones!! lol

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Aw, too bad. I know that Tofurky makes a certified gluten free vegan pizza, maybe your kids would like that one, if it fits your particular set of allergies.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I didn't know that!  Thanks for the info. I'll look for it the next time I am out at Whole Paycheck :)

Not sure about you but the Daiya ones are really $$$$ too!  I think they are $10 (I only got them because I had few coupons).  Bu the option of a fast and safe meal can be worth that price at times for sure!!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

$10?!

Wow, do you live in a high cost of living area? I think that I paid about $7, which for me, is probably cheaper than buying a bag of Daiya, buying the toppings, providing the ingredients for crust and sauce, and spending the time putting it together.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Not really. We are in the midwest but yeah, they are $10/each here.  

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Oh okay. :) We live in Michigan. 

My SIL just picked up some more for the other night, I'm not sure what she paid for those ones. But the first one that I bought was around $7.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
BlessedMommy Rising Star

Looks like I must have just gotten lucky. LOL! I stopped at the Whole Foods in Ann Arbor and they are $10 each there.

Stephanie can you share your recipe for gluten-free/DF pizza?

StephanieL Enthusiast

Gluten Free Pizza Crust

Serves 4  (4-5 personal pizzas or 1-  12”-14” pizza)

1 ½ cups gluten free flour  (King Arthur’s)
1 TBSP. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder2
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt

1 pack instant yeast
½ cup warm water (105*)

1 tsp. vinegar in ½ cup measure and then filled with hemp* milk to fill.

3 Tbsp. EVOO

1 ½ cups Daiya dairy free cheese

Toppings of your choice

Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly.  In a separate bowl mix yeast and warm water along with ¼ cup of the dry mix. Let stand for 20 minutes to activate the yeast.  Set vinegar and milk to “sour” while yeast is working.

Combine yeast mixture and milk substitute into the flour mix.  Beat with an electric mixer for 5 minutes.  Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.  Spread the olive oil on a cookie sheet.  Place approximately 1 cup of “dough” onto cookie sheet four times (for 6” pizzas) for all of the dough for a large 12-14” pizza.  Again, this dough is VERY wet. Use wet fingertips to spread dough out to about ¼-1/2” thick and let set another 10-15 minutes.  Preheat oven to 425*.  Par bake the crust for 15 minutes. Top the crust with sauce and toppings and bake for 10-15 more minutes.

*Can use any milk alternative. I have used rice and hemp.

**This dough will be EXTREAMLY wet. You will not believe it will ever hold it’s
shape but it will!

***When working with gluten free flour be sure to check if they already have xanthan gum in them as some are made with it in it already.  King Arthur’s All Purpose Flour Blend DOES NOT contain xanthan gum.
BlessedMommy Rising Star

I make a homemade mix with sorghum flour, almond flour, potato starch, and xanthan gum.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I make a homemade mix with sorghum flour, almond flour, potato starch, and xanthan gum.

We have several other allergies so we use KA for our gluten-free flours because it's Top 8 free. Not sure how this would work with that combination of flours.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Oh yes, tree nut allergies. It must be challenging to have so many allergies to work around, but it sounds like you're doing a great job. :)

StephanieL Enthusiast

lol  Once you're at it long enough it just is the way it is ;)  I'm sure you get that!  I think the no egg and gluten-free is the roughest part.  Structure is an issue with that combo but we manage as best we can!  We are hoping to possibly do an almond challenge because i would love to use that as a milk alternative but we are also on the way to clearing the milk allergy as well so who know!  lol

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I think that the no egg part would be hard! I'll bet that you use lots of products marketed to vegans. Do you guys use

Vegenaise?

I hope that your kid gets almonds and milk back, that would open up so many possibilities.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Robert Noah
    Newest Member
    Robert Noah
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B