This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Normalizing Sleep Patterns?

BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I've often had trouble wanting to go to sleep at the correct time. I have noticed though lately that I'm consistently feeling tired at the appropriate time and am having a much easier time going to bed--I don't have to force myself so much to get to bed.

It makes me wonder if this is symptom resolution or if it's just a side effect of me getting older and more tired. LOL! At any rate, I'm sleeping better and also have an easier time being up and alert at the appropriate time.

Can gluten issues cause problems with sleep and circadian rhythm?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

.....wait until perimenopause hits....then all bets are off!

Seriously, I started sleeping poorly due to hormonal shifts. Waking up to night sweats. I still wake up with a flash, but now it is a feeling of impending doom -- no not doom, but that something is coming and instantly I am roasting. No sweating though. Used to have to change my nightgown and I slept on beach towels. Things are improving!

I am on the menopause side now, but still getting flashes. I work with older ladies and they report still getting them in their 80's!

There are so many issues with celiac disease, that I do not doubt that it impacts sleep patterns.

bartfull Rising Star

My sleep has improved tremendously on the gluten-free diet! I had terrible insomnia before and although it did get worse during menopause I had it long before that. Now I sleep like a baby. I'm usually in bed by eight o'clock and up at four. (Yeah, I know that sounds crazy but if I want to get anything done it has to be in the morning before I go in and open the shop.)

sweetsailing Apprentice

I have never, like never, been a morning person by any stretch of the imagination.  Now I have never had trouble sleeping, in fact, one could argue that I sleep too much!  Since being gluten free for over a year now, I am suddenly becoming a morning person.  I wake up spontaneously with the sun (no alarm clock) and I am refreshed and ready for the day.  Literally all my life, I never understood people who woke up before 11 am. LOL :D   Symptom resolution?....perhaps

julissa Explorer

I'm past menopause, and my issues are that I go to sleep with no problem at an appropriate time, but I get up somewhere around 3 AM and can't get back to sleep for hours, sometimes not until I am almost due to wake up. this really affects my days. I was always a great sleeper in my younger days, but now, it's a problem. things are no different than when I ate gluten. 

Serielda Enthusiast

I can agree with the  hormonal issues  very much so post  hysterectomy in 2011, I thought i was doomed to be an insomniac for the rest of my life. But that over time  tonned down, now I have issues if I eat a lot of  photoestorgenic foods. Now when I first started my  journey of gluten free, I had some wicked sleep issues, and once in a while I still do.  Most of my issues  was stressors e.g. people bungee jumping on my one last little nerve.  Now something I have noticed after some  experimentation of me wanting to debunk the study, is  that watching T.V before bed or using a tablet and cellphone before bed causing you  sleep cycles to be  a bit screwy. I stopped putting my phone by the bed and moved it across the room, and don't use my laptop or  watch tv before bed and noted I feel like I am getting better rest, but it is way to early for me to tell. Plus the data samples in  the  sleep study done on   tablets and electronics before bed was seriously under what a standard sample should be. The laws of  standard normal and the centeral limit therom state anything lower than 30 (Open Original Shared Link There may be a bit of truth to the blue light emission from  those devices causing problelms. 

I do know the few times since  diagnosis that I was glutened by  freak accidents my sleep was  craptastic , so unless an unknown ingestion of gluten, it might and i mean a minute  chance  it could be   electronics  causing it. However I would  look to see if there was subliminal  stressors going on.

Glutenbola Newbie

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and I haven't quite started the diet yet. I'm going to start this weekend by slowly going into it. Recently I've been noticing that I've been going to bed later and I've been waking up earlier when I used to not do that. I am extremely tired throughout the day. But, I cannot go to sleep at night. I will be up until 4 o'clock in the morning sometimes just laying there. I'm in high school still so I don't really take medicine for it. I'm not sure if this is related to my diagnosis, since I haven't really started my diet yet, but if it is can someone please let me know so I can talk to my doctor about it? I just found this website today and I'm loving it I feel so informed now and, I feel that there are so many more people out there with this disease that, I didn't even know of. It shows me that I'm not the only one in that this disease can be common and that there are other people out there going through what I'm going through. The diagnosis was hard on me because I'm still in high school so, I have a lot of free time and, that free time I used to spend with my friends and at school I eat the school lunches which now I won't be able to do that. So this transition is going to be hard on me but with this forums help I feel like I can get through it. Thank you everyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and I haven't quite started the diet yet. I'm going to start this weekend by slowly going into it. Recently I've been noticing that I've been going to bed later and I've been waking up earlier when I used to not do that. I am extremely tired throughout the day. But, I cannot go to sleep at night. I will be up until 4 o'clock in the morning sometimes just laying there. I'm in high school still so I don't really take medicine for it. I'm not sure if this is related to my diagnosis, since I haven't really started my diet yet, but if it is can someone please let me know so I can talk to my doctor about it? I just found this website today and I'm loving it I feel so informed now and, I feel that there are so many more people out there with this disease that, I didn't even know of. It shows me that I'm not the only one in that this disease can be common and that there are other people out there going through what I'm going through. The diagnosis was hard on me because I'm still in high school so, I have a lot of free time and, that free time I used to spend with my friends and at school I eat the school lunches which now I won't be able to do that. So this transition is going to be hard on me but with this forums help I feel like I can get through it. Thank you everyone.

Welcome to the board.  :)

Give yourself a lot of time for symptoms to normalize.  It can take many months to recover.

My sleep problem was sleepiness. I had a tough time staying awake past 9:00. If I was working out, I was in bed shortly after 8:00!  LOL  Now I can actually stay awake until 11:00 or so if there is a show I want to see.  I can actually stay awake for a New Year countdown.  It took over a year to get to that point though.

Glutenbola Newbie

That's awesome !! I'm so glad you're finally happy with that. ☺️ Thanks for the help!

Archived