This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test Kitchen

MycasMommy

MycasMommy Enthusiast

I am going to make a trial run at home made A-1 Steak Sauce.  The original ingredients include malted vinegar (even though it says just distilled vinegar on the label!) as well as corn syrup.   I will have to play around with ingredients and measurements to get a good consistency.  I am going to make a simple syrup (sugar and water reduced) and try one batch with apple cider and another with white balsamic.  I LOVE A-1 but react to even the smallest bit of it :(  I mean I REALLY love it too!  SO that will be my test recipe for January. If it works out I will list it here somewhere.

Open Original Shared Link

Anyone else have something they would like to test?  Do tell.  If you cannot test making it, perhaps someone else can!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

What are you reacting to?

We use A-1 by Kraft and hubby and I have had no gluten reaction. There is no malted barley in it (at least in the U.S.) in it. I am looking at a bottle that I purchased just this month.

Your link to Wikipedia even states that the US version does not contain malted vinegar. Wikipedia is good, but it should not be a reliable source. Reading the label or contacting the manufacturer is better.

If I recall correctly, you have other grain intolerances and there is corn it A-1. Hope your alternative recipe compares to the bottled version!

LauraTX Rising Star

I think you are going about things a great way.  Cant buy it, then make it myself!  I do the same thing.  One of my first things I made was fried chicken.  I actually bread it with gluten-free Bisquik.  I have thought about trying just white rice flour but my husband says it is so good and to just leave it alone.  I also did fried pickles.  Yum Yum!  Something that I haven't gotten around to is making actual properly fried donuts that are yeast raised.  I have some recipes bookmarked, but haven't gotten around to it yet since frying can be a lot of work.  Hope your A1 turns out well, there are probably a lot of good steak sauce recipes out there.  If you save the drippings from your steak meat that comes out while they are resting and put them in your dipping sauce (one time use that day only) it may up the tastiness.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

What are you reacting to?

We use A-1 by Kraft and hubby and I have had no gluten reaction. There is no malted barley in it (at least in the U.S.) in it. I am looking at a bottle that I purchased just this month.

Your link to Wikipedia even states that the US version does not contain malted vinegar. Wikipedia is good, but it should not be a reliable source. Reading the label or contacting the manufacturer is better.

If I recall correctly, you have other grain intolerances and there is corn it A-1. Hope your alternative recipe compares to the bottled version!

It  may very well be the corn. That bottle doesnt SAY the vinegar is from malted barley.  I thought it was safe too. Maybe it is, just not for me.  I have read several different places where it says it does have the malted vinegar and others where it does not. I frankly do not know if I am super sensitive and the amount in it minimal so does not bother others or if it is the corn. I DO know that a lot of people react to corn in addition, just like me. Wikipedia says US version by exclusion AND substitution though?  Am I misunderstanding?

The US recipe differs from the original sauce by its exclusion and substition of malt vinegar and molasses.

I cannot do corn, nor sorghum, almost every grain. I was SO SO SO upset when I tried to have A-1 and it would not stay down.  The corn thing makes me crazy. No candy, no M&M's no gluten free white cheddar rice crackers, Udi's pizza crusts... everything has corn. OK OK.. no more bemoaning! :blink::D

I have the mental motto that plays in my head that says "anything I can buy in a store, I can make at home, AND I can manipulate the ingredients to make it safe!"

and you know what?  I have not found it to be false as of yet! :D

If anyone has something they wish they could still have, shout it out! I will perhaps find some time to give it a good go at.

I think the hardest part of the A-1 is going to be making "raisin paste" haha  and Alton Brown has some great hints at what the secret spice recipe is. WOOT!

MycasMommy Enthusiast

I think you are going about things a great way.  Cant buy it, then make it myself!  I do the same thing.  One of my first things I made was fried chicken.  I actually bread it with gluten-free Bisquik.  I have thought about trying just white rice flour but my husband says it is so good and to just leave it alone.  I also did fried pickles.  Yum Yum!  Something that I haven't gotten around to is making actual properly fried donuts that are yeast raised.  I have some recipes bookmarked, but haven't gotten around to it yet since frying can be a lot of work.  Hope your A1 turns out well, there are probably a lot of good steak sauce recipes out there.  If you save the drippings from your steak meat that comes out while they are resting and put them in your dipping sauce (one time use that day only) it may up the tastiness.

I saw Iceland girl made coconut crusted fried chicken. That is how i do it too. Coconut flour and shredded coconut.  I am so glad you try it! Hmm I do not know about FRYING the yeast raised donuts, I have baked them though and they were fantastic. I am just committing my self to once a month going after a product sold packaged that I cannot handle and making it work. I usually slice my steak and lay it back in the drippings heheheh yum yum! Once I get a good recipe for the A-1 look-a-like, I am going to see about making a huge batch and bottling it in a pressure canner or whatever is appropriate. Do your DONUTS LADY!!! GO FOR IT!  Tell us how it went!

LauraTX Rising Star

Well you are tempting me to make donuts now... LOL

Archived