BlessedMommy

Do Your Pets Eat Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Just out of curiousity as to how many celiacs feed their pets gluten free....not to debate whether your pets should or not. LOL! Also curious to know what kinds of gluten free pet food that people have tried and liked.

We're a 50/50 split here....my kitty cat eats grain free food, but my goldfish eat regular fish food. My cat eats the Natural Balance green pea and salmon formula and he gobbles it down like it's the best thing ever! I subscribe to it on Amazon, so a new bag shows up every month.

I would feed my goldfish gluten free fish food if there were one available in flake form. 

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I also have fish and have yet to find a gluten-free flake food or pellet. I just wash my hands right after I feed them.

My SO plans on bringing his kitty over from Germany. It is currently living with his parents. We will be feeding her Royal Canin. His father is a Veterinarian and is the lead guy for RC in Germany so I am given NO SAY in the food his kitty will eat. hahaha  I will be getting a kitten soon too and I refuse to pay the price tag on RC so I was looking at Blue  Freedom as they have a grain free variety. I really wish I could convince my SO to get his kitty grain free too. That way the kitties can BOTH be around me and I will never worry about it. If we have a child together, I will demand it if the baby turns up Celiac though.

Grain free for my dog (and for my old kitty who is now gone......). I get mine at Costco. It is just easier on us and she is thriving!

I feed my dog gluten free food and treats, I just felt weird having him laying on me, and gluteny doggy kisses

Ads by Google:

Grain free for my dog (and for my old kitty who is now gone......). I get mine at Costco. It is just easier on us and she is thriving!

Do you remember how much your kitty's food was at Costco?

Sorry, no. My kitty has been gone for three years. I can not recall the cost. Not sure they carry it since I do not look for it anymore. (and I was just there 1/2 hour ago and could have checked!)

My dog has been gluten free longer than I have! She had chronic digestive problems until we found a food based on potato instead of grain,

My SO plans on bringing his kitty over from Germany. It is currently living with his parents. We will be feeding her Royal Canin. His father is a Veterinarian and is the lead guy for RC in Germany so I am given NO SAY in the food his kitty will eat. hahaha  I will be getting a kitten soon too and I refuse to pay the price tag on RC so I was looking at Blue  Freedom as they have a grain free variety. I really wish I could convince my SO to get his kitty grain free too. That way the kitties can BOTH be around me and I will never worry about it. If we have a child together, I will demand it if the baby turns up Celiac though.

The gluten-free version of Blue is around the same price as Royal Canin.   My cat now eats the Royal Canin Feline Urinary SO prescription food, it helps with her urinary tract problems.  The regular one is gluten-free, the lower calorie one has wheat gluten as a top ingredient, so we just make sure to be strict on portion control.  We fed her Blue before, she liked it a lot.  The can version of her RX food is gluten-free as well, we feed her those sparingly as a treat when we have to mess with her to clean her and such.

I feed her gluten-free because I keep the food in my kitchen, she licks herself, I pet her, etc.  I am sure the risk of transmission and issues is very low, but it is worth the peace of mind for me to make sure her food is gluten-free.

We do occasionally give her greenies which are not gluten-free.  They work wonders on that bad cat breath!

• Upvote 1

My dog was grain free long before I was gluten free. I don't think there was really any gluten in her kibble before but I now feed her raw and it is gluten free. I feed her raw for her health but I would feed her gluten-free if I fed her kibble. I kiss her all the time and dogs lick themselves and I would just feel better not worrying about getting any cc. 

Ads by Google:

My cats are on Acana, that's gluten free. I had one cat with several skin issues, and she got better with the Acana. So they were already gluten free long before I was diagnosed. Lol.

My dogs get regular food containing gluten. Reason: I cannot afford it. So 60/40 here (3 cats 2 dogs)

I haven't checked (and actually I don't care) the snacks my pets get, contain gluten as well. I always wash my hands after given these snacks.

Our cat Constatine is gluten free. He eats core wellness indoor gluten and grain free dry food as well as their wet food. For special treats he gets Blue Buffalo's wilderness bites in chicken and trout. Also his dry leave in shampoo is gluten-free as well.

Mine does. It is wonderful to not have to hold my breath and wash hands after feeding.

We have one old lab that is on gluten-free food (Costco) and gluten-free "treats" (Costco dried chicken breasts that I tear into smaller pieces).  Because the celiacs in the house are still young I didn't want their hands near any gluteny foods.

For the record, the dog's coat has never looked better!

Dog ( a 100 # lab )and cats are all gluten free ,, soy or grain free is harder ( more expensive ) so I am still hoping to move the babies ( 2 kittens ) to grain free once my older cat ( 15) and Dog (13) are gone .

My cat's coat is really sleek and shiny too!

My cat is still the dirty scruffball she has always been... LOL

But on the Royal Canin RX food she doesn't get bladder issues anymore so I am glad for her and my pocketbook :)

My cat eats a special medicated food that unfortunately has gluten in it. I was my hands a lot - after feeding and before cooking anything. Wish she could go gluten-free.

I laughed reading the earlier comments because I hold my breath when I feed her, lol. 

<<< Puppy is grain free because the boy can't hold his "licker", cats eat regular food.

My cat eats a special medicated food that unfortunately has gluten in it. I was my hands a lot - after feeding and before cooking anything. Wish she could go gluten-free.

I laughed reading the earlier comments because I hold my breath when I feed her, lol. 

There are a few manufacturers of RX pet foods.  A lot of the ones that are commonly needed are made my more than one brand... my vets office sells the royal canin and the hills ones.  So may be worth looking into especially if it is giving you grief.  Still not a ton of options, though.  My cat is on the Royal Canin Urinary diet regular calorie.  They would prefer her to be on the moderate calorie one, but I told them no because wheat gluten is like the third ingredient, and I will just be strict about measuring out her portions.  Her weight has been steadily good lately, she used to be quite obese.   A few years back we trialed her on the Hills urinary one and she hated it, which was odd because she really loves food in general.  Also a lot of the canned RX foods are gluten-free, but I would rather wash my hands all the time than pay 3 dollars per tiny can!

Ads by Google:

We use grain-free Blue Buffalo for our cats, though I'm thinking about switching to a different brand. It's too annoying dealing with the idea of CC, in my opinion.

I think it just makes sense to do that if you can find it where you live and its not too expensive.    I have three dogs and they often like to push their noses into my hand for attention, and so of course I am paranoid about washing my hands whenever I touch them, and the last time I had to feed them I put on a mask  :D which seemed a bit over the top to other people in the house, but there was a lot of dust from the bag flying around, and I cant really afford to keep having accidents anymore.

And if you can't find it where you live or if it's too expensive, Amazon sells it! :) Gluten free cat and dog food is readily available where I live, but it's a lot less expensive and more convenient on Amazon. I am subscribed to a 10 lb bag every month. It saves me over $9 per bag to buy it on Amazon.

I had a look on Amazon and it seems "Taste of the Wild" is very popular..is that the one you use BM?    I do like to feed my dogs "normal food" sometimes too, like liver or chicken, which they love, as I always wonder what actually goes into dog food.