This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Phlegm And Coughing After Eating

ktyler44

ktyler44 Contributor

I have not been diagnosed with celiac (at least, not yet), but I am trying to figure out what my problem is. For a couple of years or more, I cough and have to clear my throat a lot after eating and again in the morning when I get up. Not every single meal, but many. I tried eliminating certain foods, and it seems that it is worse after eating anything with wheat. I went in for allergy testing and everything was negative. The doctor is going to do a celiac panel to rule that out. I don't have the intestinal discomfort or any of that. Mostly just the mucus issue. Does anyone else have that problem? The only other thing I have wondered about that I have trouble describing is a weird feeling I get in my stomach sometimes, mainly at night. It comes and goes, but it feels kind of like when you get startled or scared but there is no feeling of fear or anxiety with it. Just the physical part of it. Sometimes it happens when I roll over in bed. It's so hard to describe. It isn't pain.

I took myself off wheat for a few days and didn't have much coughing or mucus during that time. However, I was told to put the gluten back in my diet for the test. I immediately started reacting again. Since I was only off wheat for about 3 days, how long do I have to keep eating the gluten before having the blood test?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Keep eating it until all testing is complete.

I hope you feel better soon!

ktyler44 Contributor

But how long should I wait to get the blood test? I am just supposed to go in and let the nurse draw my blood. I wasn't off gluten that long. Only a few days. So I don't know how long I have to have it back in my diet before going in for the test. I don't want to have to put it off too long. I'm anxious to get back off the wheat and I know I can't until after the testing.

cyclinglady Grand Master

A few days should not make a difference. Eat a few slices of bread each day unto the blood draw.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

A few days off will be fine as long as youre back on it now. Do not go off gluten again directly after the blood draw though. Wait for the lab results.Your doctor may want to do some additional testing.  I know it is horrible but you are still at a point that, yes it sucks, but at least you can get and keep the gluten in. I cannot be tested because I cannot even keep it down. Not at all. I went gluten free before I was tested and now I have No Diagnosis and it is a really pain in the tush. If your test comes back positive, they will likely send you for a biopsy, so just keep it down while you can. I know you feel terrible but it is worth it. After your blood draw, ask them how long before they send results and then pester your doctors office about the results when that time frame has been met. If it IS positive, talk to the doctor about how sick it is making you and see if you can get an ASAP on the biopsy portion.

ktyler44 Contributor

Thanks, MycasMommy. I am getting the blood drawn on Monday. I'm already scheduled for a colonoscopy on Feb. 13, and if the blood test warrants, they can schedule an endoscopy for the biopsy at the same time.

ktyler44 Contributor

What I don't understand is why I cough immediately after eating wheat, but yet, I have no allergy that has shown up. Will gluten sensitivity do that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

What I don't understand is why I cough immediately after eating wheat, but yet, I have no allergy that has shown up. Will gluten sensitivity do that?

It appears that food allergy tested is not very accurate, so you could have an allergy. You might want to read about food allergy testing from reliable MEDICAL sites ( not some site by someone who is not an MD).

ktyler44 Contributor

I went to an allergist for my testing. Are you saying that testing might not have been accurate?

ktyler44 Contributor

I am getting my blood drawn tomorrow. Can I get off gluten after that, or do I have to wait until after the biopsy?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Keep eating gluten until ALL testing is done! I know that it is hard and you want to move on and feel better, but all the medical experts in celiac disease recommend eating gluten until all testing (blood and biopsy) is completed.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I think you might be confused about celiac disease (celiac disease). celiac disease is an autoimmune response (GI tract damaged) to gluten. It is an autoimmune disorder like Multiple Sclerosis, thyroiditis, type 1 diabetes, etc. You may have celiac disease or you may have a wheat allergy. Testing is different for both. Here is a link from the University of Chicago,that better explains celiac disease and testing requirements.

Open Original Shared Link

ktyler44 Contributor

No, I'm not confused. I've already had the allergy testing done and it was negative. I just didn't know if I had to continue eating the gluten until the biopsy or not. I knew I had to for the blood test part of it. I have other issues besides the mucus, but I don't know if they are related to the gluten or not. The allergy doctor is the one who suggested having the celiac panel done. It could very well just be NCGS, which would be welcome news.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Good to hear! Keep us posted.

lleegilmer Newbie

Ask your doctor if he will be using a duoendoscope if you have to schedule an endoscope.  If he is DON"T HAVE IT DONE!  See USA Today article (1/23/15) about the deadly bacteria that has been traced back to the fact that THEY CAN NOT CLEAN CRE - an antibiotic resistant bacteria - off this kind of endoscope.  People are dying - it kills 40% of the people it infects - since it is antibiotic resistant. 

LauraTX Rising Star

Ask your doctor if he will be using a duoendoscope if you have to schedule an endoscope.  If he is DON"T HAVE IT DONE!  See USA Today article (1/23/15) about the deadly bacteria that has been traced back to the fact that THEY CAN NOT CLEAN CRE - an antibiotic resistant bacteria - off this kind of endoscope.  People are dying - it kills 40% of the people it infects - since it is antibiotic resistant. 

Welcome to the forum. While there have been limited outbreaks from use of specialized duodenoscopes (equipment that is more specialized than what is needed for a standard endoscopy), even in Open Original Shared Link, they say: 

"Meanwhile, the scopes' "lifesaving" ability to detect and treat potentially fatal digestive disorders outweighs their infection risks, the statement adds. "It (is) important for these devices to remain available.""

That means that individuals who still need life saving care, such as a Celiac disease diagnosis, should NOT avoid diagnostic procedures.  While I understand such articles can be alarming for a member of the general public to read, please do not discourage others from seeking medical care based on a secondary source article.  The equipment mentioned in the article is a specialized instrument used in a procedure called Open Original Shared Link.  That is far beyond what is done in a endoscopy for Celiac diagnosis.  If a patient feels better checking before an endoscopy, then there is no problem in that.  But they should still get the needed medical treatment.

Open Original Shared Link out there, the risk of not seeking medical treatment for issues far outweighs the risk of catching said bug.  While the media takes tidbits of information and runs with them using scary headlines, that blows things way out of proportion, and we like to see things in a reasonable, realistic proportion here on the forum.

ktyler44 Contributor

I just read about that yesterday. I'm feeling pretty freaked out about it and am thinking of canceling. Either way, I will be going gluten free, so maybe it's not necessary.

ktyler44 Contributor

I just checked with the hospital and they explained their sterilization process to me and said they will be using a gastroscope, which is different than a duodenoscope. The article referred to the duodenoscope that was causing the problem. So maybe I should still go through with it?

kareng Grand Master

Welcome to the forum. While there have been limited outbreaks from use of specialized duodenoscopes (equipment that is more specialized than what is needed for a standard endoscopy), even in Open Original Shared Link, they say: 

"Meanwhile, the scopes' "lifesaving" ability to detect and treat potentially fatal digestive disorders outweighs their infection risks, the statement adds. "It (is) important for these devices to remain available.""

That means that individuals who still need life saving care, such as a Celiac disease diagnosis, should NOT avoid diagnostic procedures.  While I understand such articles can be alarming for a member of the general public to read, please do not discourage others from seeking medical care based on a secondary source article.  The equipment mentioned in the article is a specialized instrument used in a procedure called Open Original Shared Link.  That is far beyond what is done in a endoscopy for Celiac diagnosis.  If a patient feels better checking before an endoscopy, then there is no problem in that.  But they should still get the needed medical treatment.

Open Original Shared Link out there, the risk of not seeking medical treatment for issues far outweighs the risk of catching said bug.  While the media takes tidbits of information and runs with them using scary headlines, that blows things way out of proportion, and we like to see things in a reasonable, realistic proportion here on the forum.

I just checked with the hospital and they explained their sterilization process to me and said they will be using a gastroscope, which is different than a duodenoscope. The article referred to the duodenoscope that was causing the problem. So maybe I should still go through with it?

As Laura explained - those duodenoscopes are not used for a normal endoscopy.  

ktyler44 Contributor

Thank you for the reassurance.

LauraTX Rising Star

Yes!!! Definitely go through with it.  I totally understand the fear of germs, I am a horrible germaphobe myself, but the benefit of getting needed medical procedures done should not be missed.

mamaw Community Regular

If  you  have  celiac  or  NCGS the  result  is the  same, a gluten free  lifestyle  24/7  , 365  days a  year......I'm  repeating  a previous poster: DO NOT go  off gluten  until all testing  is  complete  including  the biopsy.....I  don't  believe  in  skimping  on gluten  before  testing  , you want  a  big  bunch  of gluten  in your  system  so there's  no mistake.....and  no maybe's.....  

ktyler44 Contributor

I'm still waiting for the blood test results. How long does that usually take? I'll see what that shows and then make my final decision about the biopsy. I know the biopsy is the defining thing, but don't they base the decision to do the biopsy on the blood test?

cyclinglady Grand Master

I can not speak for your lab processing time, but it should not take more than 10 business days. Even if you lab results are negative, your GI may still want to perform an endoscopy of he suspects something else as the cause of your symptoms. Who knows?

Archived