This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By My Lipstick

Zebra007

Zebra007 Contributor

I am having a bad day.   I must have had my head in the sand.  Today I realized that I have been wearing MAC lipstick which contains Gluten! AND the moisturing cream I used on my legs this morning also contains Gluten!!

My stomach is huge, bloated and I could not understand why.

I am now in the process of going through all of my creams and I have tried to get clarification on Eucerin cream, I am using the factor 50 Sun Fluid, facial cream.  I looked at the ingredients online and I think it is okay, but I am never going to be happy now until I know for sure, and so I wonder if anyone would know.

Thank you in advance

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pauliewog Contributor

What was the ingredient in the MAC lipstick? I doubt it said "gluten" and it was more likely some hidden name. I'd like to check mine!

Lisa Mentor

I use Red Apple Lipstick and Gluten Free Makeup -

Open Original Shared Link

All is gluten free.  Lubriderm is my choice of lotion.

Zebra007 Contributor

Hi, I looked online and that's where I found the info, in fact its both the lipsticks I use!!! and I only have TWO ha ha!!, one is called AMPLIFIED, (Vegas Volt) and the other is. CREMESHEENE(Ravishing).

Actually if anyone sees this I am having trouble finding info on Clinique products too, their foundations, I might start a new post on that one.

bartfull Rising Star

NYC lipstick is gluten-free. It's one of the cheap lipsticks you can find at Family Dollar or even at Walmart.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

AKKK.. I just need to skip the lipstick altogether I think.  The first two ingredients in red apple lipstick are castor oil and coal. eeep!!!

Gemini Experienced

MAC lipstick is gluten free and does not contain gluten.  The one I stick with is their basic lipstick and I am only speaking for that line only as I did not bother to check their other lipstick lines.  But I have been using this for a very long time, am HIGHLY sensitive to gluten as a diagnosed Celiac and have never had a problem.  What makes you think that it is not safe? 

As for using moisterizer on your legs, that should not be a problem if you wash your hands after application.  Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin. It would be highly unlikely that your leg would come into contact with your mouth....unless you are a contortionist.   ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Zebra007 Contributor

I'm hanging on by my fingertips here!! ha ha! 

It looks like I will have to order online for a lipstick, fat chance of buying one where I live!!... Im in Costa Rica.

It looks like the perfectly real makeup by Clinique is okay for me to wear, which is a relief, although I would like a tinted moisturizer really by Clinique, I will have to research that, I really like Clinque products, but I am open to reasonably priced online products too.

I have had to wash all my sheets this morning, as I had lathered myself with cream containing Gluten!! and on top of that I had some "leave in" curl producing product in my hair which has probably made things worse, the product list is all in Spanish so i have given up on that one! at least my eyes aren't as itchy this morning, not as bad,  what a horrible time I have had, people have no idea ha ha!

Zebra007 Contributor

MAC lipstick is gluten free and does not contain gluten.  The one I stick with is their basic lipstick and I am only speaking for that line only as I did not bother to check their other lipstick lines.  But I have been using this for a very long time, am HIGHLY sensitive to gluten as a diagnosed Celiac and have never had a problem.  What makes you think that it is not safe? 

As for using moisterizer on your legs, that should not be a problem if you wash your hands after application.  Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin. It would be highly unlikely that your leg would come into contact with your mouth....unless you are a contortionist.   ;)

I should have kept the link, it appears that not all of their lipsticks contain Gluten, its only the AMPLIFIED, AND CREMESHEEN lines  that have Gluten.  

HRDVM Newbie

I glutened myself with cetaphil lotion once. Now I buy a gluten free, organic lotion that I found at Earth Fare. I also make my own that I use at home. I have used the red apple gluten-free lip balm, although I found that the EOS lip balm that's labeled gluten-free and much cheaper and can be found anywhere works just as well. Before I went gluten-free, my skin was constantly flaky despite all kinds of moisturizers. When I went gluten-free and started reading about it, I realized all my make up had some form of wheat in it (most have a wheat germ derived vit. E). I've actually given up wearing make up because I haven't found one in stores that I like, and make up is one of those things that's hard to buy online (you can't really check the colors, etc). Since not using it, though, my skin has completely cleared up and is soft and smooth :) I found several gluten-free make up reviews by googling the topic. Gluten fee diva is one site I remember that had some good reviews. 

Gemini Experienced

I glutened myself with cetaphil lotion once. Now I buy a gluten free, organic lotion that I found at Earth Fare. I also make my own that I use at home. I have used the red apple gluten-free lip balm, although I found that the EOS lip balm that's labeled gluten-free and much cheaper and can be found anywhere works just as well. Before I went gluten-free, my skin was constantly flaky despite all kinds of moisturizers. When I went gluten-free and started reading about it, I realized all my make up had some form of wheat in it (most have a wheat germ derived vit. E). I've actually given up wearing make up because I haven't found one in stores that I like, and make up is one of those things that's hard to buy online (you can't really check the colors, etc). Since not using it, though, my skin has completely cleared up and is soft and smooth :) I found several gluten-free make up reviews by googling the topic. Gluten fee diva is one site I remember that had some good reviews.

Cetaphyl lotion looks to be gluten free from their ingredients list. Vitamin E, derived from wheat germ oil, is highly refined during processing and considered gluten free and safe for Celiacs by Celiac Disease organizations and nutritionists that actually know what they are talking about. Having dry, flaky skin is not uncommon for those with malabsorption issues due to being dehydrated or having vitamin deficiencies. It can also be from a topical allergy to an ingredient and have nothing to do with Celiac.
Zebra007 Contributor

Hey thanks! yes I have spent some time online, and I have found some stuff that I like the look of from Amazon, one of the products that I really need is some kind of fragrance free leave in conditioning product for my curly dry hair, and so if you have any thoughts on that it would be appreciated.  I always thought that Cetaphyl was Gluten free for some reason too!

HRDVM Newbie

I was only expressing my personal experience with different products. As far as the lotion, it was the only thing that I could think of that could have been the cause at the time. I looked for references about whether or not its gluten-free, and found these: https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/9994-is-cetaphil-gluten-free/and Open Original Shared Link  among others. Maybe something else in the make up caused the flakiness, I just know it got better after I quit using it. I try to drink 100 oz of water a day, so I doubt I'm dehydrated; and I take several supplements to address any vitamin/ mineral deficiencies. 

Gemini Experienced

I was only expressing my personal experience with different products. As far as the lotion, it was the only thing that I could think of that could have been the cause at the time. I looked for references about whether or not its gluten-free, and found these: https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/9994-is-cetaphil-gluten-free/and Open Original Shared Link  among others. Maybe something else in the make up caused the flakiness, I just know it got better after I quit using it. I try to drink 100 oz of water a day, so I doubt I'm dehydrated; and I take several supplements to address any vitamin/ mineral deficiencies. 

I know you were expressing your personal viewpoints but I was specifically responding to comments about Vit. E being unsafe for Celiac's, which it is not.  It is highly processed, rendering it gluten free, along the same lines as distillation.  Just because someone has some kind of reaction to a skin product does not mean it contains a gluten component.  The only way to find out if something actually does contain gluten is to call the manufacturer.  Many blog sites post inaccurate information.

• 3 weeks later...
blueshades Newbie

Vit E most definitely can contain gluten (when sourced from wheat). I am allergic to wheat and recently used a lipstick with Vit E. I was sick for 2 weeks. I had made no other changes to my routine or meals. If you feel sick, avoid it. It is not worth being sick over and don't listen to others who tell you it's safe. Everyone is different and can handle things at a different level. If your food hasn't changed then it must be lipstick. I have to be extra careful because ingesting will cause stomach problems for me. If it's on my skin I will break out in hives and other issues but not have stomach pains bad as if ingested.

I can read labels but Vit E is always an issue. A lot of people have contacted the companies to ask and you can find these company replies on the internet :)

Btw don't use Revlon lipsticks :)

Gemini Experienced

Vitamin E (tocopherol) derived from wheat germ oil that has been highly refined is considered safe by Celiac Disease organizations that make it their mission to tell us what is safe. An allergy is also different than an intolerance so that is comparing apples to oranges.

I have a great article by Tricia Thompson on this at work and will post so you can read and understand the science behind it.

Gemini Experienced

Open Original Shared Link

This explains the tocopherol issue quite well.......

• 2 weeks later...
WinterSong Community Regular

I use Red Apple Lipstick primarily.

Channel has said that their lipsticks and glosses do not contain gluten. However, they give the disclaimer that they don't test for gluten and there is gluten in the facility, so they cannot guarantee anything. I haven't had a problem with their products, though. 

murphy203 Rookie

BITE lipsticks (Sephora) are gluten-free. Interestingly, alll of my products (not that I wear a ridiculous amount) are gluten-free. I have always been very sensitive to products -- know I know why! My drs both said to just watch lipsticks, but I am only a week in, so what do I know? I did read that women eat 6#s of liptick in a lifetime --- yuck!!!!

Zebra007 Contributor

Life would be simpler if cosmetic houses could just list a few products that are definitely gluten-free......but its never going to happen, I know that.

Its interesting that Channel say their stuff is Gluten free...I will look further into that I think.

I think lipsticks are definitely to be avoided, but recently when I applied Cliniques Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, my eyes started to smart, and  upon further investigation found they have added something in there that is bad, real bad, and so i cant use it anymore.  I am amazed that this company would change the recipe that they have used for many years, and into something that some people can never wear...seems crazy to me.

gilligan Enthusiast

Does Red Apple have to be ordered?  If not, where do you buy it?  I hate spending money on lipstick sight unseen.

Zebra007 Contributor

"I think lipsticks are definitely to be avoided"  I Just saw this and of course I don't mean that, in fact I don't know what I mean, I must have just worded it all wrong lol!

I must say I do prefer to select a lipstick in a store rather than buy online, due to the colour difference. 

Archived