Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi All,

The last thread in this category for Salem, MA was from 2008. I have visited there three times but all were pre-diagnosis.

Any and all advice and recommendations for dining out are welcome. I am staying at the Hawthorne Hotel.

Thanks!

Celiac disease April 2013 

Corn intolerance - feels like I get glutened!

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I live in Mass and grew up in that area.....my old stomping grounds. 

The restaurant in the Hawthorne Hotel, Nathaniel's, does accommodate gluten-free very well.  I ate there a while ago and they did not have a gluten-free menu, but that may have changed by now.  They did a great breakfast for me and I did not get sick and it was only 6 months since I had been diagnosed then. Nathaniel's is more upscale and pricier.

Try using this website: http://www.findmeglutenfree.com  It lists a lot of options in Salem and other cities close by. It is a very knowledgeable area for eating gluten free, for the most part.  I have never had problems and I visit on occasion to eat out.  The Howling Wolf Taqueria, which is very close to the hotel, is fun and lively and has gluten-free options.  It is a Mexican place and they have always impressed me with their gluten-free knowledge.....young college age kids working there when we went. They know about the dangers of a shared fryer, which surprised me.   ^_^   I have eaten there 3 times and never gotten sick. If you have specific questions about a certain restaurant, feel free to ask questions.

If you like fried seafood, there is a clam shack in Essex, which is a pretty ride from Salem and not that far. THE BEST FRIED SEAFOOD EVER!  There are Celiac's in the family and they have a totally separate fryer for us.  The coating is corn flour and I cannot recommend this place enough.  It has indoor seating for the cold months and the portions are very large......which makes up for the fact that the food is a bit on the pricier side.  It is on the marshes and spittin' distance from the ocean, so the food is fresh off the boats that day. One meal is enough to feed both my hubby and I, with a small side of fried clams. Beautiful area....quintessential New England. If you like fried seafood, this place is an institution and has the best, non-greasy food. I am due for a visit soon......love their food and I have never had a problem with this place, as far as getting sick.  Not even close.  :)

Join eNewsletter

I live in Mass and grew up in that area.....my old stomping grounds. 

The restaurant in the Hawthorne Hotel, Nathaniel's, does accommodate gluten-free very well.  I ate there a while ago and they did not have a gluten-free menu, but that may have changed by now.  They did a great breakfast for me and I did not get sick and it was only 6 months since I had been diagnosed then. Nathaniel's is more upscale and pricier.

Try using this website: http://www.findmeglutenfree.com  It lists a lot of options in Salem and other cities close by. It is a very knowledgeable area for eating gluten free, for the most part.  I have never had problems and I visit on occasion to eat out.  The Howling Wolf Taqueria, which is very close to the hotel, is fun and lively and has gluten-free options.  It is a Mexican place and they have always impressed me with their gluten-free knowledge.....young college age kids working there when we went. They know about the dangers of a shared fryer, which surprised me.   ^_^   I have eaten there 3 times and never gotten sick. If you have specific questions about a certain restaurant, feel free to ask questions.

If you like fried seafood, there is a clam shack in Essex, which is a pretty ride from Salem and not that far. THE BEST FRIED SEAFOOD EVER!  There are Celiac's in the family and they have a totally separate fryer for us.  The coating is corn flour and I cannot recommend this place enough.  It has indoor seating for the cold months and the portions are very large......which makes up for the fact that the food is a bit on the pricier side.  It is on the marshes and spittin' distance from the ocean, so the food is fresh off the boats that day. One meal is enough to feed both my hubby and I, with a small side of fried clams. Beautiful area....quintessential New England. If you like fried seafood, this place is an institution and has the best, non-greasy food. I am due for a visit soon......love their food and I have never had a problem with this place, as far as getting sick.  Not even close.  :)

Thanks so much for your reply. I did go to findmeglutenfree.com, but I also posted here bc I definitely like to hear what locals  have to say. 

I called the Hawthorne and they informed me that Nathaniel's could definitely take care of me, so I was happy about that. I saw the Howling Wolf on findmeglutenfree.com - I'm glad to have your recommendation as well. 

What's the name of the clam shack in Essex? Or is Clam Shack the name? I would love to try that too. 

Thanks!!

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Join eNewsletter

Woodman's of Essex is the name of the clam shack and you will not regret taking the time to go! It is very New England and a fun place to eat.....loaded with photo's and history. Go to their website at Woodman's.com and scroll down to the bottom of the page, where there is a link to their gluten-free menu. A little secret.........in winter time when they are not as crazy busy as summer, they will make you gluten-free onion rings if you ask. Only when they are not busy, as it requires some extra work. They are scrumptious! Seriously, this is the best fried seafood you will ever eat and Woodman's is an institution in New England. They are very careful and I have never gotten the least bit sick and I am extremely sensitive. They serve huge portions too!

I don't know how much time you have on your visit but I would suggest going up via Rte. 1A, over the Beverly-Salem bridge (which is just up the road from the Hawthorne) and pick up Rte. 127, which hugs the coast and is very scenic. It will take you all the way up to Gloucester and then you can pick up Rte. 133, which Woodman's is on. It is a great half a day trip and highly recommended when the weather is good. If you are in a hurry, Rte. 128 is the fast way there. The scenic route takes you into the very heart of Yankee New England and with a GPS or good map, you'll have no trouble.

Now I will have to make a trip to Woodman's myself because just thinking about their fried clams is making me salivate! I hope you have a good time and if you need any more info, just let me know.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks so much for all of this great information! I am even more exited about my trip now knowing I have options!

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Join eNewsletter

Woodman's of Essex is the name of the clam shack and you will not regret taking the time to go! It is very New England and a fun place to eat.....loaded with photo's and history. Go to their website at Woodman's.com and scroll down to the bottom of the page, where there is a link to their gluten-free menu. A little secret.........in winter time when they are not as crazy busy as summer, they will make you gluten-free onion rings if you ask. Only when they are not busy, as it requires some extra work. They are scrumptious! Seriously, this is the best fried seafood you will ever eat and Woodman's is an institution in New England. They are very careful and I have never gotten the least bit sick and I am extremely sensitive. They serve huge portions too!

I don't know how much time you have on your visit but I would suggest going up via Rte. 1A, over the Beverly-Salem bridge (which is just up the road from the Hawthorne) and pick up Rte. 127, which hugs the coast and is very scenic. It will take you all the way up to Gloucester and then you can pick up Rte. 133, which Woodman's is on. It is a great half a day trip and highly recommended when the weather is good. If you are in a hurry, Rte. 128 is the fast way there. The scenic route takes you into the very heart of Yankee New England and with a GPS or good map, you'll have no trouble.

Now I will have to make a trip to Woodman's myself because just thinking about their fried clams is making me salivate! I hope you have a good time and if you need any more info, just let me know.

Hello Again, 

My trip is near, and I wanted to check in with you. Woodman's is DEFINITELY on my list, as well as the Howling Wolf Taqueria. 

I am wondering if you've ever eaten at Village Tavern, Finz, or Victoria Station? 

I want to make sure I have plenty of options. My hotel room will have a fridge, so I will be able to have a back up plan. 

Many thanks!!

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Join eNewsletter

I am so glad I saw this! I have one thing to bring up regarding Woodman's........I see that you list a corn intolerance and all their fried food is coated in corn flour.  :(

They do have steamers and boiled lobster but if you cannot have corn, the fried food will be out for you.  I really hope that intolerance has gone away, if you were counting on fried food.  I am sorry......I did not mean to disappoint!

I have eaten at Finz and their food is very good and I never felt ill or anything close after eating there.  They have always seemed very knowledgeable with the gluten free prep so I would recommend them.  I have eaten there 2-3 times over the past 10 years......one was fairly recent.

I have never been to the Village Tavern and have not eaten at Victoria Station since going gluten free. 

http://www.62restaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gluten-free-May-2015.pdf  I have not eaten here yet but the reviews were good and they have hand made gluten-free pasta. It is more upscale with regards to price but hand made gluten-free pasta?????  I might check them out when in Salem next!

If you have any more questions, feel free to fire away and I'll help in any way I can.  :)

Join eNewsletter

I am so glad I saw this! I have one thing to bring up regarding Woodman's........I see that you list a corn intolerance and all their fried food is coated in corn flour.  :(

They do have steamers and boiled lobster but if you cannot have corn, the fried food will be out for you.  I really hope that intolerance has gone away, if you were counting on fried food.  I am sorry......I did not mean to disappoint!

I have eaten at Finz and their food is very good and I never felt ill or anything close after eating there.  They have always seemed very knowledgeable with the gluten free prep so I would recommend them.  I have eaten there 2-3 times over the past 10 years......one was fairly recent.

I have never been to the Village Tavern and have not eaten at Victoria Station since going gluten free. 

http://www.62restaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gluten-free-May-2015.pdf  I have not eaten here yet but the reviews were good and they have hand made gluten-free pasta. It is more upscale with regards to price but hand made gluten-free pasta?????  I might check them out when in Salem next!

If you have any more questions, feel free to fire away and I'll help in any way I can.  :)

Thanks - I did see that Woodman's uses corn flour - and thankfully my intolerance is such that a little Pepto will handle it. So I think I will try it anyway, but just get an appetizer. 

Thanks for the recommendations - I really appreciate it. I did see 62 restaurant and I'm DEFINITELY going there!! Going to call tonight to find out what their pasta is made of. 

When I return I will definitely give you feedback from each place I went. 

Thanks again for all the help! Much appreciated. 

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Join eNewsletter

No problem....always glad to help a fellow Celiac find good and safe food.  ;)  

Woodman's is not really a restaurant but a New England clam shack with indoor and outdoor seating.  They serve beer and wine but if you want to have a drink, you have to sit indoors.  Because of those damned liquor laws, you cannot take any alcohol outside.  They have plates of fried seafood or boxes so you could always get the half pint size of fried something.  Or share a plate with someone because the portions are HUGE.  Definitely enough for 2 adults.  The fries and onion rings are really good also but they can only do the onion rings when it is not so busy. 

Finz is located at Pickering Wharf, an historic New England seaport.   It's a nice area to walk around in, after you have dinner.  There are so many buildings from the 16th century and lots to do and see.  I look forward to your report when you return....have fun!

Join eNewsletter

Hi Gemini,

wanted to report back as I am back from my trip. I can happily inform you that I ate safely and did NOT get sick while in Salem!!

I ate at the Village Tavern, the Howling Wolf, Finz, Victoria Station, and Nathaniel's. We drove to Woodman's also - amazing food! 

Each place had PLENTY of knowledge of Celiac and took proper precautions. I was so happy!!

We have already booked our 2016 vacation!!

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and help. MUCH appreciated. 

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Join eNewsletter

I am so happy to hear that!   Yeah....Woodman's is deadly and I am glad I do not live too near to it or I would weigh about 500 pounds.  Best fried seafood anywhere

and, as a New Englander, I know my seafood. 

I am happy you told me all the places you ate because I have not been to a few of those and now I know they are safe to eat at.  Always good to have other options.

If you need additional advice for your next trip, I am here............I am happy you enjoyed yourself and ate well and safely!  :D

Join eNewsletter

Thanks again, and I will be in touch!! 

I have to say, I asked the waitress TWICE about the gluten-free bun in Village Tavern bc it was SO good! She said a lot of their gluten-free customers buy the buns - they sell them for $1 each. 

And Victoria Station - the prime rib all but melted in my mouth - really delicious. 

If you're ever traveling to NY, let me know, I'd be happy to give you recommendations :)

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Join eNewsletter

I have had that experience before where you have to double check that something is gluten-free because it is so good and it always involved bread.  The gluten-free bread in Britain and Ireland was so good, I was nervous thinking it was not gluten-free.  It was!  :)

I'll let you know when we come to NY.  I have been before, of course, but want to go again. Fabulous restaurtants in NYC and the Hudson River Valley but I am always open to suggestions!  Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):