Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I_want_nachos

America's Test Kitchen Holiday Cookies

Hi! Does anyone have the recipe? I just ordered the cook book but I want to make heart shaped cookies for my works V-day party and I don't think its going to get here in time :C Is anyone willing to share it with me? 

I want to make a test batch first 'cause I am sure everyone is skeptical that they won't taste awful lol and I want to make sure they aren't disappointed. 

If not, can anyone link me to a good recipe for cut out type cookies they've tried? 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What flour are you using?  I don't think it would be appropriate to post a recipe from the book here, since it is copywrited.  It looks like you can access the recipe online but you have to sign up for a free membership.  I have one to there and they don't give me any trouble, I actually like their cooking newsletters.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/1681-foolproof-holiday-cookies?incode=MASAZ00L0&ref=search_results_5

(dont have time to see if it is the exact one in the book, will later)

I will go dig up my recipe I use later this afternoon... I use KAF... I think it is the recipe off the baking mix box.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Ah, sorry about that.  I know they had their gluten-free ones up there over the holiday season, but they do take things down after a while.  Was in a hurry when I posted that.  I checked my recipe folder and I used the recipe from the box of the KAF gluten-free baking mix.  It is listed here on the box image, for some reason is not up on the website: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-img/labels/1416587374361.pdf

That does use the baking mix which includes a leavener and xanthan gum, so I would use any flour blend and also add 

1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. That is an estimate on my part, that may make kind of puffy cookies.

They also have this recipe with cutout directions which uses almond flour.  All their recipes are really good and work well: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-sugar-cookies-recipe

Because all that is an estimate, you could also just find a recipe and sub in a gluten-free flour blend BY WEIGHT and add xanthan gum (1/4 tsp per cup of flour is what BRM recommends for cookies).  I know that is complicated, but cookie recipes are the most forgiving out of gluten-free recipes.  I use regular recipes off the internet all the time for cookies.  If the dough is too soft, you can just sprinkle more flour on when you are rolling them out, until they get to the right consistency.  Overkneading and developing gluten making tough baked goods is not an issue when you are baking gluten-free! :)  If the dough gets too warm, just put it in the fridge for a bit.

What flour are you using, by the way, a pre-bought blend?  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter