Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

littleredhead

Turning 21 Soon: Unsure Of Gluten In Different Drinks

I'm turning 21 at the end of the month and I'd like to go out to the bars with my friends.  I was diagnosed with Celiac this past summer.  I'm not sure though what kind of mixed drinks will be okay or what kinds of alcohol might have gluten in them.  I know beer and malt liquor isn't okay...but that's about the extent of my knowledge.  Does anyone who goes out have any tips for being safe at the bar as far as gluten is concerned?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm turning 21 at the end of the month and I'd like to go out to the bars with my friends.  I was diagnosed with Celiac this past summer.  I'm not sure though what kind of mixed drinks will be okay or what kinds of alcohol might have gluten in them.  I know beer and malt liquor isn't okay...but that's about the extent of my knowledge.  Does anyone who goes out have any tips for being safe at the bar as far as gluten is concerned?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Personally I stick to bottled ciders, not sure about cross contamination on the taps. But before you go to a bar, check them out online to see if they have any gluten free dedicated taps or anything.

Join eNewsletter

First- a little background about myself... I worked in the restaurant/bar industry for 6 years, have celiac's and enjoy going out with friends often 

-Be careful of bar glasses. A lot of times bars do not have time to properly clean them and simply dunk them in a sanitizing solution. Always ask for a plastic cup. I've been glutened by wine glasses before (Please note I've never had a problem in restaurants- in my experience it is a divey/very busy bar. Just use your best judgement and don't be afraid to advocate for yourself)

-Be careful of anything on tap. Most bars rotate their draft selections it is rare to find a place that has a dedicated gluten-free line. Stick to bottles (and either ask for a plastic cup or specify you want it in the bottle) 

-If you are at a brewery that also has cider make sure you ask about shared equipment etc just like you would at a restaurant

-Learn which brands of flavored liquors are safe/gluten-free and only order cocktails that use those. If you want a cocktail that uses a questionable liquor just swap it out for something different.

- I don't like mixed drinks and don't really order them but if I did would recommend also being careful about what they use to mix your cocktails with. Make sure the shaker bottles they use have been thoroughly cleaned.

Personally, I usually order wine in a plastic cup or something simple...i.e. jack and coke or gin and tonic. It avoids using shaker bottles and anything on draft. There are a lot of gluten-free beers and ciders out there too. Just do your research before hand. I drank beer before being diagnosed so I don't like any of the gluten-free beers but you might if you don't have anything to compare them to.

Happy early birthday and don't stress too much- drinking out gluten-free is a lot easier than eating out gluten-free in my experience :)

Join eNewsletter

I usually order wine, but depending on the bar, I ask for it in a plastic cup. Do you see how they clean glasses in most bar sinks? Yuck! I save the mixed drinks for home.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Wow, I never thought about the seedy bars not washing their glasses well- yuck!  vomit-into-the-toilet.gif

I also am not a drinker, I usually get soda.  In those glasses.  But not anymore, LOL.  Don't let your friends get you TOO drunk, appoint a person as a babysitter for if you get wasted who can make you behave and not eat gluten  :)  Happy Birthday!!

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter