Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mama2preston

I Have A Question As I Am Newly Diagnosed Just 6 Days Ago

I have had no gluten as far as I know (as again I am new to all of this) for about 3 to 4 days now. I hadn't had Diarrhea in awhile either. But yesterday I was at Sprouts doing my 1st Gluten-Free, Dairy Free Grocery shopping and I literally had to run to the bathroom. Then this morning I had almost like constipation, but this evening my stomach was gurgling and then I had to run to the bathroom again with Diarrhea :( Is this normal when 1st starting Gluten-Free? The only things I have eaten for the last 4 days are: Cinnamon Rice Chex (gluten-free), Almond Milk with vanilla, Some strawberries & bananas,  (Gluten-Free) Ham steak, Baked potato with a bit of green onion,Yesterday: 1 small bag of Lays Potato Chips, Carne asada meat I made with tomatoes & green chiles only & on top of Basmati Rice with Cilantro and a night snack of Van's Gluten-Free Lot's of Everything Crackers. And today A Safeway Select Jumbo Hot dog on a Udi's Gluten-Free Bun with Ketchup, Mustard & Relish and some Glutino Pretzels, a KIND Almond & Coconut bar. Could any of those have Gluten in them?? My stomach is not happy right now :(

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hot dogs sormally have corn syrup in them and if i remember correctly, you are allergic. also beware that they cacn have any number of other fillers. Ham can as well.  Johnsonvill makes a great ground sausage tht is corn free. Not the one in the casing though, you have to get the one that is just ground sausage. Corn could have also been in the crackers.  Read every label, every time.

Join eNewsletter

I would suspect the hot dog as well.. 

*Judy
Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs RE-TESTED ALL FOOD ALLERGIES IN JUNE 2015 AND THEY ARE ALL NEGATIVE NOW!  TIME TO RE-INTRODUCE FISH AND NUTS!!! 
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. c
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010 

Hyperthyroid 2013 - benign tumors and entire thyroid removed

Join eNewsletter

Thanks so much for then information MycasMommy! I went back and read labels on stuff I ate between yesterday and today. The Lays chips have Corn Oil, the Hot dog I had today had Corn Protein and the Glutino Pretzels have Corn Starch & Soy!! :( I am really going to have to read labels thoroughly and it just seems hard to find food that is not only Gluten & Dairy free but free from Corn, Soy & Peanuts :(

Join eNewsletter

Hot dogs sormally have corn syrup in them and if i remember correctly, you are allergic. also beware that they cacn have any number of other fillers. Ham can as well.  Johnsonvill makes a great ground sausage tht is corn free. Not the one in the casing though, you have to get the one that is just ground sausage. Corn could have also been in the crackers.  Read every label, every time.

Thanks for the information! 

Join eNewsletter

I doubt there was any gluten in what you ate. I think your system is just trying to settle down.

Many celiacs experience withdrawal in the first few weeks; some symptoms get worse and many end up feeling worse before they get better.  

Also remember that most celiacs will continue making autoantibodies for weeks or months after going gluten-free.  Your body is still reacting and inflamed.  You'll need more time.

To be honest, my bathroom issues didn't calm down until about 10 months gluten-free. Recheck your food, maybe even keep a food and symptom journal to help you find problem ingredients (corn, soy), but my guess is you just need to wait a while longer.

Best wishes.   :)

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I doubt there was any gluten in what you ate. I think your system is just trying to settle down.

Many celiacs experience withdrawal in the first few weeks; some symptoms get worse and many end up feeling worse before they get better.  

Also remember that most celiacs will continue making autoantibodies for weeks or months after going gluten-free.  Your body is still reacting and inflamed.  You'll need more time.

To be honest, my bathroom issues didn't calm down until about 10 months gluten-free. Recheck your food, maybe even keep a food and symptom journal to help you find problem ingredients (corn, soy), but my guess is you just need to wait a while longer.

Best wishes.   :)

No gluten in anything i ate! But there was Corn in 3 things I ate between yesterday and today which I am allergic to as well :(

Join eNewsletter

Yes this too. Fret not though!  Either way, it is going to work itself out. I AM SO allergic to corn blah.... I have been gluten-free for over a year and so I tried it the other week for just the reason NVSMOM said.  It still did not work out for me, but I am going to try again in a few more months before I give up.  Meanwhile, I will stand here making my gluten-free/Grain (corn) free tortillas. :D

Join eNewsletter

It does take some time to heal. It's hard but try to be patient with your body. You might want to consider less processed foods to make it easier. You wouldn't have to drive yourself nuts reading every single label that way. Some of us are able to add back foods we were sensitive at diagnosis once our antibodies have calmed down. 

I hope you heal quickly.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I see a red flag. The condiments you used - were they new? Because if you or someone else had previously dipped a knife or spoon into them, spread them on regular bread, and then re-dipped, they are contaminated.

Please go to the newbie 101 thread in the coping section to learn more.

Now, all that being said, what the others said about being sick in the beginning is true. And the hot dog I tried at the beginning made me sick simply because it had too many spices. So learn from the newbie thread about cross-contamination, and then go easy on your stomach for a while. Gentle foods. And give it time.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Denise 13
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics