Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nvsmom

Bristol Stool Form Scale - Poop!

This topic is all about bowel movements so be forewarned...

There's been a few posts about abnormal BMs lately, and it got me thinking about what a normal poop actually is, and how to recognize it when we have nothing to compare to except ourselves. 

I experienced C my entire life but I didn't realize how extreme it was because it was an everyday thing for me.  Afetr being gluten-free for 9 months, and getting proper thyroid treatment for hypothyroidism (which causes C too), I finally had normal BMs for the first time in my life yet I thought I had D.  Going Having a BM more than once a day and actually really needing toilet paper was new to me, and it took me a while to realize I was finally normal.

I recently found the Bristol Stool Form Scale, which shows what actually IS a normal BM, in slightly gross detail.  Here is a link to the chart: https://www.gutsense.org/constipation/normal_stools.html

It's sort of interesting to see where one falls on the scale... in a icky way that I would never admit to checking beyond our little virtual world.  LOL

How do you compare?

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Lol Nicole! I guess I'm largely normal now. Go me! Before seeing this I would have called 6 a D...and now I feel even more normal.

January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Join eNewsletter

This is actually a really good visual to post for people who deal with GI irregularity.  They use a similar scale in medical settings.  Funny story, when I was working in a hospital pharmacy, one of the drug reps had dropped off poo scale posters.  Someone taped it to our main workflow bulletin board.  On the last, most loose one, I wrote "too much taco bell" and then through the evening others wrote more on it.  At midnight the head pharmacist at night came in and was very upset that we had done that... LOL.  But everyone else was snickering for days.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter