Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've mentioned how happy I am that one of our grocery stores now has a gluten-free section. Well yesterday I found a new gluten-free item in the regular aisle. Ronzoni gluten-free pasta! It is made with white rice, brown rice, corn and quinoa. And right on the box it says, "Made in a dedicated gluten-free facility".

The regular pasta was $1.89 a box. (12 oz.) This was $2.35. I bought a bunch at that price!

I went home and made a "pizza casserole". I cooked the rotinni (the corkscrew shaped things) and used a jarred sauce (I CAN make a good from scratch sauce but I didn't bother.) I bought some pepperoni and mozarella. Fried the pepperoni to remove the grease and get the edges crispy. Then I mixed it in with the sauce and pasta. I layered the pasta, then some cheese, more pasta, more cheese, etc. Kind of like lasagna.

It was good. The pasta had a great taste and texture. And I found out for sure that corn doesn't bother me at all anymore. This is a "product of Italy" where they do not allow GMO corn and that's nice to know too. I like Tinkyada but it's about twice the price here so from now on Ronzoni it is.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Not Ronzoni, but has anybody tried the Barilla gluten free brand? I'm seeing that there's an option to subscribe to them on Amazon and the price is pretty good.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Ronzini and Tinkys are better than Barilla.  Tinkys lasagna noodles are a must, otherwise I use Ronzini.  This is, of course, my NOT expert opinion  B)

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*Multiple AI Diseases

*General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

smiley-face-making-cocktail.gif

Join eNewsletter

I am very happy with the Ronzoni as well. The Barilla is 100% corn and my stomach just can't handle it. 

My pasta of choice is Bionaturae - but it is double the price of the Ronzoni :(

Celiac disease April 2013 

Corn intolerance - feels like I get glutened!

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Join eNewsletter

I love Bionaturae too, it's the best one that I've ever had. I wish that it wasn't so expensive! I might throw a couple of bags of it on my Vitacost subscription though.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Hi I have ordered Barilla and I am waiting for it to arrive within the next week from Amazon...I have been using Heartland, and quite honestly it is really excellent!!  I just thought I should try Barilla to see which one I prefer, both are from Amazon.

Diagnosed Ulcerative Colitis Feb 2014 (in remission)

Diagnosed Lichen Schlerosus May 2014

Diagnosed GERD Aug 2014  

Gluten free from Sept 2014

Dairy free from Dec 2014

Sulfite free from Sept 2015

Join eNewsletter

Well, I know a lot of folks here like Tinkyada but I just did a side-byside taste test. I had some Tinkyada in the cupboard and just a little bit of the Ronzoni left. I had them with chicken and broccoli and just put butter on it.

The Ronzoni won hands down! The Tinkyada had a kind of wet cardboard smell. The Ronzoni smelled like pasta. With no spaghetti sauce to mask the flavor it was obvious. The Ronzoni also had a better texture (IMO). And when you think about it it makes sense. The best baking mixes are a blend of different types of flours, so why wouldn't the best pasta be made with a blend too?

And it costs less! I'll be going to buy some more after work tonight. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

I have used the Barilla for awhile now and really like it.  It cooks up well and reheats well with a little water added before microwaving.  Walmart had a great price on the Barilla gluten free so I stocked up.  I do have a box of Ronzoni so now I am anxious to try it to see how it compares. 

DeLallo also makes a gluten free imported Italian Orzo (used in rice pilaf and such) you can get off of Amazon but you have to buy in bulk.  You can also get it from Walmart which less money per package but you have to buy more packages in bulk for it.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter