Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

jumpingjuniper

Does Dairy Affect Your Mood And Mind?

Rate this topic

I've seen some people say that eating dairy gives them symptoms like depression.

If that happens to you, how quickly does it kick in?

And does it happen every time you eat dairy and with every kind of dairy?

I'm trying to figure out if dairy is affecting me or if it's just coincidence, or a coming together of triggers!

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A good way to try and pinpoint subtle things like that is to keep a diary.  You can write down what you eat and how you physically and mentally feel that day.  It may help you put it all together after a while.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Yes, it does. I have multiple food sensitivities, including dairy. One of my worst symptoms is depression & mood swings. For me, it usually comes on around 15 minutes after consuming the food, along with muscle-twitching, rapid heart-rate, and overall feelings of "agitation".

The best way to find out if dairy is affecting you negatively, is to avoid it for a period of time (few weeks), and then reintroduce it, and observe how you respond to it.

Join eNewsletter

Dairy does not affect me in anyway but I only drink memory lane milk bottled and fresh from a farm, not full of antibiotics and whatever else they do to it or cows.  I stopped drinking  regular milk off the shelf about 5-6 years ago.  I couldn't stomach it and I have always loved and drank milk.  I still cant eat cheddar cheese without issues.  swiss, mozzarella, and provolone are ok.

Join eNewsletter

Instead of depression I get angry and restless. About an hour after eating it. It took me a long time to realise and somebody else pointed it out initially. It was also a bit confusing because I felt so euphoric to have another food back in the menu that I feel super optimistic somewhere in amongst the anger. Which makes for a mega-moodswing... 
I get chestpain (maybe it's heartburn, I don't know), anxiety and frustration and if I've eaten more than a bit I get a migraine about 3 hours later. I usually can't sleep, too.
I get no GI symptoms though. Nothing.
It's funny now how consistent that reaction is yet how unnoticed it went for a long time. Amongst the other crappy feelings...

Maybe I'll try just butter, though. Maybe it's the proteins...

Join eNewsletter