Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Cara in Boston

Eating Out In Washington Dc - Need Suggestions

Rate this topic

Bringing the kids for a visit on spring break in April.  Last time we were there, no one was diagnosed.  This time 2 of the 4 of us are gluten free.  We plan on getting a hotel with a kitchenette so we can cook breakfast and pack a lunch, but we'd like to eat out a couple of times too.

However, the thought of being sick while traveling, or having symptoms on the train ride back horrifies me.  My 10 year old is very sensitive so we need places that don't just offer gluten-free options, but really know and understand cross-contamination, etc.

Options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, even a bakery for a treat would be great.

Thanks -

Cara

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What area are you going to be staying in?  Its a big place!  lol

I have not been here but I had heard there was a gluten-free bakery in Alexandria

http://happytartbakery.com/pages/locations

I think there are a couple in DC.  Google gluten-free bakery.

Join eNewsletter

this place is SPECTACULAR: http://www.riseglutenfree.com/

Rise bakery just opened and is completely celiac safe - all items are gluten free. They serve croissants, I kid you not! I spent like 60 dollars the first my boyfriend and I went there and stocked up.

Happy Tart is in Virginia, so it's a bit of a hike if you're staying in the city or on the Maryland side.

If you end up in Bethesda, off the red line, Lilit Cafe is great and serves gluten-free sandwiches and pizza. http://www.lilitcafe.com/

Other celiac-friendly restaurants:

Firefly (I haven't been, but I've heard they are good about it.)

Mellow Mushroom - pizza/a chain

Rasika -Indian, maybe not kid friendly

Rosa Mexicano (chain)

Founding Farmers - They don't have a gluten-free menu, but they are good about it. I've been here and didn't get cc'd.

Dogfishhead is in Gaithersburg at the end of the red line. They have a great gluten-free menu and a dedicated prep space, it's way out of the way.

google yields a lot of results, but I can personally vouch for Rosa, FFarmers, Dogfishehad, Lilit Cafe, and Rise Bakery

Join eNewsletter

Bringing the kids for a visit on spring break in April.  Last time we were there, no one was diagnosed.  This time 2 of the 4 of us are gluten free.  We plan on getting a hotel with a kitchenette so we can cook breakfast and pack a lunch, but we'd like to eat out a couple of times too.

However, the thought of being sick while traveling, or having symptoms on the train ride back horrifies me.  My 10 year old is very sensitive so we need places that don't just offer gluten-free options, but really know and understand cross-contamination, etc.

Options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, even a bakery for a treat would be great.

Thanks -

Cara

Hi Cara!

I was in DC this past fall for a weekend. Two of us are gluten free and made most of our meals in the hotel too. We did try Holy Cow and the Protein Bar though and neither of us got sick (I am super sensitive). 

Holy Cow has gluten-free buns as well as a dedicated prep area, grill and fryer. http://www.holycowdelray.com/

The protein bar is good for lunch and has wraps, salads and bowls (think gluten-free crazy bowls and wraps) http://www.theproteinbar.com/washington-dc-locations-page-73.php

I found both these places using Find me gluten-free too-its a life saver when going to new cities

Join eNewsletter

Scion restaurant, Firefly, DOUGH, ShopHouse Asian Kitchen, Blue Duck Tavern, and Policy are all places i frequent on a regular basis. I have never been glutened by any of them after several dining experiences at each, all of them are close to the monuments and what not so they are all convenient. A couple of them are a bit pricier than others (Blue Duck mostly) but all of them have good food and I would totally recommend them as safe. Good luck :)

Join eNewsletter

This is what I found on line a year or two ago - 

WASHINGTON

Bibiana is one of my two most favorite restaurants in DC. Chef Stefanelli is wonderful and very well-informed on gluten-free cooking. I haven’t been to Rasika,  Fiola by Fabio Trabocchi . Although not my personal favorite, Galileo II is good about gluten-free diners, and even offers gluten-free pasta, cooked separately. Oyamel is great for Mexican food, Jaleo for Spanish, and Zaytinya for Middle Eastern–all have printed gluten-free menus. Blue Duck Tavern, in the Park Hyatt Washington,near the Zoo is Dino, Italian In Alexandria, Rustico Pizza has a gluten-free crust Restaurant Eve is wonderful and even offers home-baked gluten-free bread with 24 hours’ notice. In Arlington, Ray’s the Steaks

Join eNewsletter

On 3/11/2015, 9:16:20, Cara in Boston said:

so we need places that don't just offer gluten-free options, but really know and understand cross-contamination,

As of November 2015, there are three completely gluten-free restaurants in Washington, DC, more depending upon how you count.

The Little Beet is a new gluten-free restaurant. 18th and Connecticut Ave NW.

Shophouse Kitchen has four locations around the city. It is Southeast Asian cooking.

Rise is a gluten-free bakery in the northwest neighborhood of Adams Morgan. They sold soups and heartier fare when they opened in November 2014, but no longer do. I give this bakery a B.

I haven't been to either the Little Beet or Shophouse, but am delighted we have these completely gluten-free options in DC. It's a good thing.

Diagnosed with Celiac in 2010. Diagnosed with sleep apnea 2018.

Join eNewsletter