This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Health Valley

Guest nini

Guest nini

I was just in Kroger and found NEW Health Valley Organic Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Chicken and Cream of Celery Soups. They are made with Rice Flour and APPEAR to be gluten free. I have sent an e-mail to the company to find out for sure, but they aren't open til Monday (it's Sat. )

Does anybody know if this product is safe? Have you seen it, heard of it, tried it yet???

I'm planning on waiting to try them until I hear back from the company, I was just wondering.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

Wow, that would be great if they were. I would be so happy to be able to add a couple of canned soups to my repetoire...

I like Health Valley products but they kind of piss me off in their inconsistencies. For example, their chicken broth - they have a non-fat chicken broth in a can, a low fat in a can, an organic non fat in a can (has double the ingredients of the other two types, bad sign for "organic"), and then non-fat in a box - like soy milk comes in. Anyway, I have seen the boxed kind with and without barley malt, plus the boxed kind often has different ingredients than the canned kinds. Then I don't know why the organic kind would havd nearly double the ingredients of the non-organic kind. Anyway, that kind of inconsistency in a product of their's makes me suspicious, how am I to know they didn't can the broth that was supposed to be boxed, etc?

I tend to use the low-fat kind because it has better flavor anyway, and I have yet to see it with barley malt.

Anyway, look forward to hearing what you find out.

Stephanie

Guest nini

I'll keep ya posted!

Suzie Rookie

Boy, that sounds too good to be true! I'm looking forward to from your inquiry. I have about decided to try Bette Hagman's recipe for the soup bases. That's how desperate I am!!. :o

Sue

quote=nini,Nov 12 2005, 11:44 AM]

I was just in Kroger and found NEW Health Valley Organic Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Chicken and Cream of Celery Soups. They are made with Rice Flour and APPEAR to be gluten free. I have sent an e-mail to the company to find out for sure, but they aren't open til Monday (it's Sat. )

Does anybody know if this product is safe? Have you seen it, heard of it, tried it yet???

I'm planning on waiting to try them until I hear back from the company, I was just wondering.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Just got off the phone with Health Valley.

They said the ingredients in the cream of chicken are "gluten free", but the facility has other gluten containing soups that are used in the same vats (though they are cleaned)

So sort of yes and sort of no....depends on your sensitivity, I guess...

Guest nini

Yeah, I never got an e-mail back from them, so I finally called them. I just got off the phone with them a little bit ago too. The guy I spoke with "George", said that the ingredients for both the Cream of Chicken and the Cream of Mushroom are gluten free, but they are produced in a facility that manufactures gluten containing items, however he said that they are extremely conscientious about allergens and cross contamination and do extremely thorough cleanings between batches. So, personally, I feel safe trying them. He said they prefer to leave it up to the individual consumer to make that decision. He also said that next year when the labeling laws go into effect, to look for their products to be clearly labeled as gluten free. They are working on it now.

Archived