This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dental Floss

TGK112

TGK112 Contributor

I recently wrote Oral B to check if their dental floss is gluten free-- and I thought people may like to see their response:

No. None of the ingredients in Oral-B/Glide floss contain gluten.

All of our flosses are made on designated lines so there is no chance of cross contamination with gluten.

Thanks again!

Paul
Oral-B Team

Yeah! Good News!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I never even would have considered it. It's wax put on something grown in Montana. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZA9Jv3qH0&list=RDsmZA9Jv3qH0

Gemini Experienced

You are too funny, bartfull!  :lol:

On a more serious note.......dental floss is not a concern, even the flavored ones. :)

kareng Grand Master

Seriously.... no gluten in dental floss.  And you can find unwaxed.....

bartfull Rising Star

And if you want unwaxed but can only find the waxed kind, you could always strip it off with a pair of zercon encrusted tweezers. :o

(Sorry, I'll behave now.)

Gemini Experienced

:lol: :lol: :lol:   You are on a roll today, bartie!

TGK112 Contributor

Thanks for all the support. I looked all over online regarding the safety of dental floss - and got a lot of mixed comments -- but bottom line was no one seemed to know. I thought it would be helpful to post my findings to this forum in case anyone in the future had a question regarding dental floss. I didn't realize it would be so amusing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I hope you didn't take offence, TGK112. If so I sincerely apologize. Sometimes my mouth (or typing fingers) engage before my brain.

Gemini Experienced

Thanks for all the support. I looked all over online regarding the safety of dental floss - and got a lot of mixed comments -- but bottom line was no one seemed to know. I thought it would be helpful to post my findings to this forum in case anyone in the future had a question regarding dental floss. I didn't realize it would be so amusing.

I am sure you received many mixed comments because there are many who are convinced everything is a danger, even though that is not true.  Instead of looking all over the internet for information, the best resources for celiac related issues would be Celiac Disease organizations who usually have the most up to date information or......this forum!  :)   I have been gluten-free for 10 years and have found that this is the one forum which has the best, most correct information on Celiac related questions....really! There are many veterans on here with a world of experience, even though sometimes things get humorous and maybe a little silly.  Those of us old enough to remember Frank Zappa have a hard time letting the subject of dental floss go by without making a joke about it sometimes. You need not be offended because that was never the intention. I hope we have convinced you that all dental floss is safe for use by any Celiac....no matter how sensitive. Take it from the woman who will probably put her dentist's kids through college, due to all my Celiac related dental problems!  ^_^

kareng Grand Master

We like to find humor where we can!   :D

• 4 years later...
ksensitive Newbie

flavored dental floos can be a problem if you are densitive to trace amounts of gluten. I found that to be true for me.

kareng Grand Master
19 minutes ago, ksensitive said:

flavored dental floos can be a problem if you are densitive to trace amounts of gluten. I found that to be true for me.

I have never found one that has gluten.  It is hard to find any that aren’t mint flavored.  

squirmingitch Veteran
notme Experienced

lolz, karen, you must shop at the fancy floss store :D  just plain mint should be fine.  what other flavors are there?  I feel so unsophisticated right now lololz :D :D 

I use plain, waxed, unflavored oral b.  boom.  problem solved. 

• 4 months later...
Rangerred Newbie
On 8/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, ksensitive said:

I’m very sensitive to trace gluten and Oral B glide dental floss in the blue container made me ill for months before I finally figured it out- multiple websites told me it was gluten free and so I assumed it was safe for me.  It wasn’t. After I quit using it My neuropathy is resolving, my elevated liver enzymes are normalizing, the bloating/abdominal discomfort is gone and my other symptoms are resolving.  Don’t assume all floss if you have celiac disease. 

• 2 weeks later...
AnonyousCda Contributor

Wax dental floss is not so good for the kidneys.  Try using something different like bamboo floss with charcoal, silk floss.  As always if something is not working change it up.  For Oral health for Cediacs/Gluten allergies suffers.  I'm favoring a Holistic approach to oral health.  Usually main approaches are not for us.  But in Holistic approach they will advise to take out any mercury fillings and tooth.  A mercury filling tooth could make teeth brittle. 

• 2 months later...
kbirk Newbie

Thank you so much! I couldn't find the information anywhere. I knew I had learned once before that they were gluten free but couldn't find even with a national organization. Thanks for posting and doing the leg work!! 

• 2 months later...
zenith12 Enthusiast
On 1/9/2020 at 7:03 PM, Rangerred said:

I’m very sensitive to trace gluten and Oral B glide dental floss in the blue container made me ill for months before I finally figured it out- multiple websites told me it was gluten free and so I assumed it was safe for me.  It wasn’t. After I quit using it My neuropathy is resolving, my elevated liver enzymes are normalizing, the bloating/abdominal discomfort is gone and my other symptoms are heresolving.  Don’t assume all floss if you have celiac disease. 

SO the company is lying???

All of our flosses are made on designated lines so there is no chance of cross contamination with gluten.

Thanks again!

Paul

Oral-B Team

zenith12 Enthusiast
51 minutes ago, zenith12 said:

SO the company is lying???

Thanks again!

Paul

Oral-B Team

I called  JO and Johnson.  They said my floss was gluten free. Waxed/ Reach/ unflavored.  SO at least now i know my symptoms aren't ciming from that. Time will tell. I just gave up the processed brownies 3 days ago. I am starting to feel good now. Still very dizzy.

cyclinglady Grand Master
On 1/9/2020 at 5:03 PM, Rangerred said:

I’m very sensitive to trace gluten and Oral B glide dental floss in the blue container made me ill for months before I finally figured it out- multiple websites told me it was gluten free and so I assumed it was safe for me.  It wasn’t. After I quit using it My neuropathy is resolving, my elevated liver enzymes are normalizing, the bloating/abdominal discomfort is gone and my other symptoms are resolving.  Don’t assume all floss if you have celiac disease. 

I use this product and I have healed from celiac disease based on repeat biopsies.  How can you be sure that this floss was the culprit for sure?  Liver enzymes can be out of range for many reasons:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325838#causes

I thought  for sure I was experiencing  active celiac disease symptoms.  I could not figure out any gluten exposures.  I even trialed the Fasano restrictive gluten-free diet without success (that included never eating out).   Turns out after a repeat endoscopy that my small intestine had healed, but that I had developed Autoimmune Gastritis years after my celiac disease.  Related?  Probably.  I think all autoimmune is linked.  

I learned that not all things are due to celiac disease.  You can develop more than one autoimmune disorder, infections or even cancer.    Floss is made from petroleum based products.  The Oral B Glide from Teflon.  Not the best, but certainly no gluten.  Why add something sticky like gluten to a product that is supposed to clean teeth?  It does not make sense to me.  

Edited by cyclinglady