Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TGK112

Stickers On Fruits And Veggies

I've always been one of those people who will not lick an envelope -- something I read somewhere about the glue containing gluten. It occurred to me that there seems to be stickers on nearly every piece of fruit and many vegetables as well. They must have some sort of adhesive -- should I ( we) be worried about those as well?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Not at all!  Both the stickers on fruit/veggies and envelopes are safe....no gluteny glue in either!  Those are Celiac myths.  Besides, stickers should be removed and fruit/veggies washed before consuming and it has nothing to do with gluten. Too many people handle them in the process of bringing them to market so bacteria or whatever else should be more concerning than gluten.  :)

Join eNewsletter

Not at all!  Both the stickers on fruit/veggies and envelopes are safe....no gluteny glue in either!  Those are Celiac myths.  Besides, stickers should be removed and fruit/veggies washed before consuming and it has nothing to do with gluten. Too many people handle them in the process of bringing them to market so bacteria or whatever else should be more concerning than gluten.  :)

Exactly!   :D

Join eNewsletter

I got sick from envelope glue when doing christmas cards.

Licking envelopes is gross but they don't contain gluten. Saw a show years ago that talked about how cockroaches & other bugs like to eat the glue.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter