Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mbrookes

Bread For Po'boys (Aka Grinders, Hoagies, Etc.)

After 7 years totally gluten free, I don't know if I can go the rest of my life without a fried shrimp po'boy. Is there a good bread I can order for this? I have tried Against the Grain Baguettes and they are too little around. Failing that, does anyone have a recipe for this kind of bread? (I really don't want to bake, but I will!)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

After 7 years totally gluten free, I don't know if I can go the rest of my life without a fried shrimp po'boy. Is there a good bread I can order for this? I have tried Against the Grain Baguettes and they are too little around. Failing that, does anyone have a recipe for this kind of bread? (I really don't want to bake, but I will!)

Man....a shrimp poboy sounds amazing! I'm replying to see the answers, I'd love to know! I must say, I think my hubs and I mastered a gumbo with sweet sorghum flour incase you haven't had a gluten-free gumbo yet ; )

Join eNewsletter

I highly recommend a place out of my area of Texas here called local oven.  They make a hoagie roll that is awesome.  I had the awesome experience of stopping in to their storefront and sampling everything... a lot of it is free of other allergens, too.  http://www.localoven.com/html/our_products.html  They recently made changes to make their shipping cheaper, as well.  Each item is individually vacuum sealed so they keep for like a year in the freezer.  I always keep their hamburger and hot dog buns on hand, everything else I use up before too long, lol.  Their "flour" tortillas are to die for, as well. They beat the pants off Udi's.

If you don't want to order and ship something, maybe just try a good hamburger bun recipe and make it more long. 

Do you have a good fried shrimp recipe?  I am sure others on here would love to have that.  I fry chicken occasionally, I use gluten-free Bisquik or White rice flour.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Laura TX, when I fry shrimp or chicken, I do it just like I used to, only using Cup-4-Cup flour. For chicken: soak in buttermilk for an hour or so. Then put flour, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning in a bag and shake up with chicken. For shrimp, I use half flour and half yellow corn meal the with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning. Do not soak in anything. The trick to both is having the oil really hot. Use a thermometer and don't add food before 370 degrees. pan fried chicken is for another day.

Join eNewsletter

Our  whole foods  in  western  pa  used  to  carry  the local oven  from Texas,  very good.. I  also found  a  parm sub  bun  from  Sonnymarie's  in  Ohio  both  are   yummy...

Join eNewsletter

Oh my,  it's  sonny not  sunny.. For  some  reason  I  can't copy & paste  to here...They are in Columbus  Ohio... Let  me know  if  you  get  it  or   if  you don't  I  can  copy & paste  to  your  email addy.... sorry  I'm not  very good  at  the  computer...can't  figure  out  why  I  can't  copy & paste  to here!

Join eNewsletter

Omg you poor thing, innocence taken by google!!!  Here is the correct link!

http://www.glutenfreesonnymaries.com/

Looks like they don't ship but man do their offerings look nice.  They have a listing of locations where they are sold at here:

http://www.glutenfreesonnymaries.com/find-us/

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Join eNewsletter

thanks Laura for posting the correct site..... Would you know why I can't copy & paste on here? This is the only place I can't do this anymore!

Can you use your mouse to highlight, then right click and copy... or highlight with mouse and press ctrl and c at the same time.  ctrl and v at the same time to paste.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter