murphy203

gluten-free Piiza Crusts, First Attempts

Rate this topic

2 weeks in, I had to try to create a pizza crust, mainly because I have PERFECTED the glutinized homemade crust, sigh. The King Arthur's website published recipe was a disaster -- completely stuck to the pan and what I could pry off was unimpressive. So that went in the trash. My Second attempt was with KA's gluten-free bread and pizza mix. it makes two crusts, and both came out really well, I might use the adjective "crackerlike" -- a win for me.

One of my favorites is Chebe mix.  It can be made with or without the cheese that the recipe calls for, both turn out great. I usually make mine without cheese since I put a lot on top, makes one nice big pizza and the crust holds together well.  Also, parchment is your friend when baking gluten-free and doing any kind of dough-like thing.  Good parchment will save you from some sticky messes! :)

We used the original Gluten-Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza mix happily for years, until it was discontinued. Our recent results with the Glutino Pizza Mix that "replaced" it were quite disappointing. Today, we tried Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Pizza mix. We liked it better than the current Glutino one, and will be using it again.

I love the Namaste crust mix. The entire bag is supposed to make 2 big crusts but I make it into about 5 or 6 smaller ones, par-bake, and freeze them. If I don't have parchment, I put them on the aluminum foil with a non-stick side. They both work beautifully.

funny - Just today I noticed some very thin crust, almost crackerlike, pizzas featured in our company cafeteria (not for the likes of me, obviously) and I was thinking I'd like to see if I can make something like that at home.  I like a very thin, crisp crust.  

Looking forward to trying that KA mix out.