Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WinterSong

Ice Cream Made From Cashews? gluten-free?

I've been talking with a local ice cream company about their gluten free status. It all looks good in terms of their actual ice cream making process. They are very good about avoiding cross contamination. My last question was about their ice cream base. It's a vegan ice cream, so they make it from cashews. I asked them if the cashews themselves are free from cross contamination. I got this response back. What do you think? Does anyone know about the allergen policies for raw materials from other countries? 

"Regarding cashews...to be honest, we have not looked into the process by which the nuts are harvested. We use a specific cashew nut from a specific country but we are not sure how to inquire into whether or not these cashews have been contaminated through processing. Cashew is a global raw material commodity and we purchase it in quantities numbering in the tons, so it would be highly unlikely that the nuts have gone anywhere near equipment or even processing plants that also handle gluten-containing materials."

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

most cashews come from Brazil and India and mass quantities. I've eaten them processed raw and roasted for many years with never any problems. 

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter