Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi there! I made myself a Maize tortilla, and looking on the packet it appears everything is fine, but then I read a recipe somewhere where it stated they used gluten-free Maize flour! so now I am a little confused..are some people concerned about cross contamination and that's why they need to purchase it gluten-free.

Diagnosed Ulcerative Colitis Feb 2014 (in remission)

Diagnosed Lichen Schlerosus May 2014

Diagnosed GERD Aug 2014  

Gluten free from Sept 2014

Dairy free from Dec 2014

Sulfite free from Sept 2015

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, but... Corn tortillas are generally gluten-free, but some are produced in factories that also make flour tortillas, raising concerns of cross-contamination. I have never encountered a problem, but completely understand the need of others to be extremely cautious. I tend to purchase corn tortillas labeled "gluten-free" because I appreciate the manufacturer's decision to make sure I know the food is safe.

That being said, I have encountered what are being marketed as "artisinal" corn tortillas, and these are clearly made with gluten. I would be particularly cautious about buying tortillas from manufacturers who do this because the chances of cross-contamination on shared equipment increases.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks folks, I think I will just have to order some gluten-free Maize flour online in future to be on the safe side.  Its a bit annoying though as I had recently started eating  tortillas with chopped banana for breakfast in place of my usual 2 eggs  but I think I have developed an allergy to eggs, not sure yet, but it is looking that way and the gluten-free Oats in my cupboard made me feel ill.  Luckily I have some gluten-free Cornflakes which I can have in the morning....    

Diagnosed GERD Aug 2014  

Dairy free from Dec 2014

Join eNewsletter

I purchase Bob's Red Mill gluten free masa harina flour from Vitacost for my homemade tortillas. They taste great and I have peace of mind that they are fully gluten free. 

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

If you are buying maize flour made in your country, inquire with the manufacturer and ask them if they make anything with wheat in the same plant.  If tortillas are a highly consumed item in Costa Rica where you are, there are probably places that make just maize flour and/or maize tortillas. 

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks BM  I will order that then to be on the safe side....

Thanks LTX You are right, I could try emailing them and see if they reply, its worth a shot!

Diagnosed GERD Aug 2014  

Dairy free from Dec 2014

Join eNewsletter

Vitacost is pretty good for shipping products overseas. We shipped a fairly heavy box over to our friends in Micronesia and the shipping charges were only $9.99.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter