Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CeliacMommaX2

Ingredients To Look For On Non-Food Products

Sorry, I'm brand new at this!  My 4 year old with Celiac puts her hands in her mouth all the time and has taken on the bad habit of chewing her hair!

Is the ingredient list to watch out for on things like hand sanitizer, shampoo, etc the same as what I'm watching for in food? 

Thank you!

Mom to 2 young kids with celiac, diagnosed March 2015

*Gluten free household

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Usually wheat is in shampoo in the form of wheat protein or wheat germ oil. Generally gluten containing ingredients should be pretty straightforward. Most lotions are gluten free, but read the labels and watch out. Any Aveeno products with oats would be out.

A number of personal care products are labelled gluten free these days. 

I don't think that hand sanitizer has any gluten, but it doesn't hurt to check.

With a child with celiac, it would be best to buy gluten free/grain free food for the pets, if you have any. Cats groom themselves with their tongues and then kids pet the cats. Also, kids handle the pet food and sometimes even eat it. 

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Ah yes... just like me as a child, putting everything into the mouth!  I was also a hair chewer.  Original Germ-x does not contain gluten, my hand sanitizer of choice.  The hints blessedmommy gave you are great for shampoo and pet food.  I use a store brand unscented lotion that has no gluten ingredients.  Just start out by taking a look at the products you use, and what is on the grocery store shelves that you have easy access to.  No need to buy those special organic natural vegan gluten-free brands... there are plenty of regular personal care products out there that don't contain gluten ingredients.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter